performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 08-24-08, 08:05 PM   #1
giant kid

Default accepting tips in different demographics

I just started about a year ago busking, and i usually just leave a bucket out in front of where im playing. My thought process with that is, if people leave in the midst of one of my songs they can tip before i pass a hat, but can i still pass a hat at the end of my show? It seems to me that when people have a hat right in front of them they seem more obligated to tip, but without the bucket i miss the people that leave in the middle. Is both passing the hat at the end and having a bucket overkill?
Old 08-25-08, 01:15 PM   #2
vconaway

What I've seen other musicians do is pick up the bucket at the end of the set and pass it like a hat even though it's been collecting tips throughout the performance. It doesn't work well for what I do (I play hammered dulcimer), but it seemed to go over fine!
vconaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 02:59 PM   #3
jeep caillouet

Default Tips

I've worked in Lawrence Ks. before on a road trip from San Fransisco to New York city Me, Sonny Holiday (aka Rocky) and Little David (He did Toots the clown's show and balloons) stopped there to get out of the heat . It was one year ago to the day,tomorrow, as we pulled out of Boulder today in1984. It was very hot so we found a lake there some where out of town and set in it till it started getting evening time. I played some where down by the collage. Where do you play there that you can play music and pass the hat at the end of a show.
Old 08-25-08, 08:42 PM   #4
harmonicakev

Default Go for it!

"Is both passing the hat at the end and having a bucket overkill?"

No it is not overkill! Unless you are asking for $$ every 5 minutes, that could be a turn-off to your audience.

Years ago when I was in a 5-piece combo in Harvard Square, I served as the "bottler," the guy who "bottles" the crowd...this means that while our leader was giving the hat speech, I would pop up in the back of the crowd, all smiles, with another hat...the theory being that many people walk away from a big crowd without paying.

So as long as you are keeping it light, and not getting strident, it helps to remind people that you wouldn't mind if they tipped you.
I used to make jokes about buying gas for my wife's Mercedes.......Have fun!
Ciao - Kevin M.
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 02:30 PM   #5
jeep caillouet

Default hussle

That is harmonicakev ,the whole concept of one of my shows is how many dollars I can collect in one minute,working an hour or better at a time. I also pay someone in that show to work as a "shield" as to insure that the rhythm of collecting is not interrupted for that period.I try to keep that rhythm to 2 , 3, 4 beats per minute.
Old 08-27-08, 03:14 PM   #6
giant kid

jeep, recently when i went to go play it just so happened that, that weekend was the "first annual lawrence buskerfest" so there were a lot more people downtown than usual, but a lot more competition, i usually perform on Mass St. its just the most busy street in terms of foot traffic, but a little noisy from cars and "badasses" with loud ass motorcycles
Old 09-03-08, 09:35 PM   #7
Daniel Mooncalf

Default Not overkill, for sure.

I have a wooden box on a stand, so people can reach it easily, should they need to vacate during the act.

Depending on your act, I'd say you're probably not asking for money ENOUGH.
Daniel Mooncalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 10:20 PM   #8
GlassHarper

Default Double Hatting

I have one empty goblet on my instrument seeded with a five dollar bill and a bucket on the ground with a bill glued inside. When someone hesitates, wondering where to put the tip I say, in stage voice, "there are TWO tip buckets -- no waiting!"