performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 02-19-05, 11:19 PM   #1
s0ymilk

Send a message via AIM to s0ymilk
Default harvard square

so what exactly is the permit situation in harvard square? I want to do some performing but I don't know how to start. When/From where do you get permits? I pretty much just need to know how to get a permit.
s0ymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 11:36 PM   #2
harmonicakev

Default Cambridge (MA) permits

In accordance with the City of Cambridge Street Performer Ordinance, performer permits are issued by the Cambridge Arts Council located at 344 Broadway, 2nd floor.

Between June 21-October 1, 2004, performer permits will be issued:

Monday from 10am-12pm and 2pm-7pm
Tuesday - Thursday from 10am-12pm and 2-4pm
Friday from 10am-12pm

The permit fee is $40.00 (cash only) and all permits remain active from the date of issue until the end of the current calendar year on December 31st. CAC staff will work with individuals interested in securing a permit to determine whether or not the intended performance meets the definition for performance contained in the Ordinance and to provide advice on strategies for successful interactions with residents, local businesses and fellow performers.

web site= http://www.cambridgeartscouncil.org/permits.html

I think they actually issue permits before June 21???
Ciao - Kevin Mc.
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 12:24 PM   #3
s0ymilk

Send a message via AIM to s0ymilk
Default i take it that its the same this year

thanks, so is there just not street performing in cambrigbe from january until june?
s0ymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 03:48 PM   #4
harmonicakev

Default typographical error?

Please note, all you potential Cambridge, MA buskers;
the previous was cut and pasted directly from the City of Cambridge Arts Council web site, so it is very likely that one could purchase a 2005 permit as early as Monday 2/28. However, if you want to wait until June 21, GO FOR IT.
Old 02-27-05, 06:06 PM   #5
unclescam

Send a message via AIM to unclescam

yo can buy permits from jan 1 on
take id and cash. no checks or credit cards
any weekend over 40 degrees is workable sun is a plus.
there's always a lunch crowd and musicians and this
puppeteer can make enogh to eat n pay rent year round.
summers have become tough cause no one will put in the
time to let the folks know they'll be around. it's like any other biz, you gotta put in the time.
come on out, i'll be back mid march n work through new years again.
unclescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 09:07 PM   #6
le pire

Don't you have to be 18 to street perform at HS?
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 09:21 PM   #7
unclescam

there is no age limit high or low.
i don't agree with child labor but if a kid wants to come out.....
parents don't keep yer kid out there too long and don't let them be obnoxious just cause they're kids, and understand that some of us actually do this on the streets to live. it's ok
the key is identification not age.
Old 08-23-07, 01:14 AM   #8
harmonicakev

Default Harvard Square busking scene in the I.C.U.??

Hi buskers and supporters,

Visited Harvard Square with relatives last Saturday night, (8/18) and it was not too exciting; a grand total of 5 solo musical acts performing at 8:30 pm, and NO jugglers! A couple of jugglers did show up around 9:45, just as we were leaving...
on the plus side, it was really easy to find a parking space....
ran into a few old friends, incxluding someone who works for the Cambridge Arts Council, and there is talk of having a street performer festival...we'll see.

Ciao - Kevin M.
Old 08-23-07, 09:25 AM   #9
le pire

Harvard Square is pretty dead these days. I myself don't even bother anymore.

As far as the talk of a street performers festival... that is all it is. There has always been talk of this.

After a while it began to feel like the carrot they hold out in front of the donkey to get it to keep walking. "Just keep coming out everyday and perform for our shoppers, residents and (dwindling amount of) tourists and we'll give you your OWN festival! Were going to do it, really we are, you just keep busting your ass!"

I used to do work with the Harvard Square Business Association for their MayFair and OktoberFest to help them coordinate street acts. I was not paid a nickle for it.

I gave them simple demands for pitches:

Resonably central to the event
flat & paved
large enough to accomodate a 5-7 deep circle and still have clearance for foot traffic
not next to any bands or massive amplification / acts too close to each other.
stipend

We got "flat and paved" and a really small stipend.

They were more interested in turning HS into an open market place for the day than anything else and merchants had priority over everything. I gave up trying to work with them because the amount of meetings I had to go to (and make no headway on) and and deal with all the complaints from performers made it not worth my time.

If anyone else wants a crack at it, go for it. My advice is you get them to pay you for any consultation (good luck at that), and maybe they'll take you more seriously. And if they don't, at least you got something for your work other than a migraine.

etienne
Old 06-13-08, 05:07 PM   #10
harmonicakev

Default 2008

Hi buskers and supporters,

In Harvard Sq. for some business and was pleased to see a couple of young (20's?) buskers near Au Bon Pain playing with obvious joy and energy. They said they call themselves "Dead Flowers." They had run out of their CD which they were selling! Now that I think about it, I was actually impressed by the fact that they were doing a request that they didn't really know...they mangled it, but they had fun doing it.

Anyone have any feedback on this years Mayfair?

Ciao - Kevin M.
Old 06-13-08, 10:35 PM   #11
le pire

Was there a Mayfair? I stopped by HS a yesterday and chatted with Blue and there hasn't been a circle act out there at all this year and last year was almost as dead.

The weather was gorgeous and there was plenty of foot traffic...

If you're itching to hit the streets, then Harvard Square is yours.

etienne
Old 06-14-08, 11:51 AM   #12
Frisbee

the past few times I have passed thru harvard I have wished I had props on me.

I understand that Harvard has been dead for a few years now and other performers tell me not to bother, but I sense a revival in energy out there, especially after I hear about the issues hitting the Boston acts.

It may take some cultivation, but I think that there are fruits to be had in Harvard again. next time I come thru I am coming with show.

I just remember when I started out there in the early 90's and the magic that was there, it is what convinced me to continue on this journey and never give up. There was so much foot traffic it was hard for cars to even get thru on weekends. 4-5 jugglers, 4-5 magicians, musicians, Blue and oh yeah...Manny was there too.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 06-14-08, 08:16 PM   #13
le pire

That's what I'm thinking!

It's been since Pier 39 last year that I busked and I'm itching to hit the bricks again.

etienne
Old 06-18-08, 08:41 PM   #14
robtonto

Send a message via AIM to robtonto

Yes, Etienne, there was a Mayfair this year. There was an official busking section with a couple of acts, and I was entertaining with balloons near the Brattle pitch. My friends were doing their juggling/whip show on the Brattle pitch and the breakdancers also did a couple of shows.

I'm working Faneuil Hall most of the time now, but I'd like to try out Harvard Square again. I think if 2-3 acts rotated throughout the day, it could work out pretty well. It seems to be a good pitch with the breakdancers hoarding the Sam Adams pitch outside Faneuil and the 10+ balloon guys working right outside the Faneuil Hall property line (but that's another story.)

-Rob the Balloon Guy
robtonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 11:27 PM   #15
Juggalicious

Send a message via AIM to Juggalicious

rob the balloon guy!!! we twisted balloons together so many times!
Juggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 09:16 PM   #16
FADE

Send a message via AIM to FADE
Default circle shows

I've gone out a couple times now. Mixed results. I went out on nice days and actually had a lot of trouble finding a spot 50 feet away from other performers that didn't suck. The one time I managed to get in a show in some prime real estate I did alright. First come, first serve. If we have decent weather this upcoming weekend, I'll be out there since I'll be living in the area anyway.

Rob, Etienne, heartened to see you guys still about in the area. Hope to swap some sets or whatever one of these days.

Oh yeah, and when I went out there were no other variety acts, just a boatload of musicians and that spray paint art guy.
Old 07-03-08, 10:18 AM   #17
kennethkahn

Default Harvard Square Squared

I guy is driving around Harvard Square, looking for the library. Finally, he pulls over and asks someone, "do you know where the library is at"?

To which the man replies, "why yes I do, but one should never end a sentence with a preposition".

The Cadalac driver responds, "excuse me, do you know where the library is at, ass hole". Ha ha ha.

Kenny the Clown
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kdogg.jpg (158.9 KB, 155 views)
kennethkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-09, 11:19 AM   #18
harmonicakev

Cool Yeah!

While driving, (actually bussing) through Harvard Square yesterday, (Thursday) I saw a solo guitar/singer busking in the big spot where Brattle St. curves.. I guess it was warm enough..he had a small crowd...unfortunately I didn't have time to stop and check him out.
Spring is coming!

Ciao - kevin M.
Old 02-20-09, 08:23 PM   #19
unclescam

Default harvard sq

construction in brattle sq (the old big juggle pitch where you had to "work" to draw a crowd in) most of the summer.
the t is puttin in an elevator, by the stairs into the station. so the big pich will be smaller and the t police more obvious. the street construction in the main harvard sq is done and the pit is open. wider sidewalks and i hear the closing of the upper end of brattle st with two way traffic on jfk st til the construction is done may open up new space. for the summer. we'll see.
i've made more money since the jugglers left. thanks.