performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 05-25-09, 03:56 AM   #1
Aaron Gregg

Default A sweaty countryman

So I've been using a Sennheiser ew100 system for a while now but I really want to upgrade my mic piece to a countryman so it's a little more subtle than the largish black thing that comes with the Sennheiser. However, I've heard that the countryman doesn't deal well with sweat and I have a pretty fierce sweating problem. In fact, I burned out two Sennheiser mic pieces in just a couple of months due to sweat and eventually found a mic piece that could deal with my sweat. I don't know much about it but for you sweaters out there it says 'special products 20' on it and for the $120ish I spent on it I am very happy.

So my question is, can the Countryman deal with nasty sweat? Or, is there another inconspicuous mic piece that can deal with a sweaty bastard like me?

Thanks.

-Aaron
Old 05-25-09, 05:18 AM   #2
gav

I'm also a sweaty bastard.
I use a samson airline, which is also a big black thing but seems to have dealt quite well with the sweat. It's important not just to put it back in a case after the show and forget about it. Leave it to dry.
Also I attached a little bit of sponge around the boom(that's what I call the arm that holds the mic) just before the mic. Acts as a sweat blocker.
I imagine because the countryman has such a skinny boom that less sweat would travel down it.
How do you deal with costume sweat ? I'm thinking I might try a string vest under my shirt so there's less show through.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 09:47 AM   #3
Jim
Your Host

I've been using a countryman lavalier that was wired into a headset for about 5 years now. One reason I bought the countryman lav was because I was told it was very sweat repellant. I went through 3 or 4 $100 shure mics over the years and then sprung for the $300 countryman. After 5 years, I think I got my money's worth.

With the countryman, the thing I found was that the head of the mic was so small, it never gets in the way and it's incredibly durable. However, the mic cable that runs to the transmitter is REALLY thin and very delicate. After years of use, I think the sweat on the CABLE has caused it to stiffen up and it's very brittle now. I used to be really hard on my mics and cables, but I learned to be very gentle when handling the countryman. I would love to get a countryman mic head on a burlier cable.
Old 05-25-09, 10:10 AM   #4
Isabella

Countryman does have two versions of their mic cable (which is replaceable without buying the whole mic - cables run about $50), one of which is slightly more heavy-duty. We use the Countryman with the heavier cable and go through a cable about every year due to hard use. Never had sweat kill a mic, and we're all pretty sweaty, too.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-09, 12:58 PM   #5
gav

On the countryman site they have a slightly more robust looking headset than their standard and it has a more robust cabel. They're pretty pricey.

For 99 bucks you could get this one which looks just like a countryman and says it's sweat proof.
http://www.sumakaya.com/product.asp?sku=HMMA000066
Old 05-25-09, 08:10 PM   #6
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

When I show up at gigs where there is a pro sound technician they ALWAYS thank me for having an Countryman E6. Apparently the sound quality is vastly superior and is less susceptible to feedback problems and the like. What I've hated about my E6 is the fact that I've had to tape it to my face to keep it clipped to my ear, but I just now discovered they make an attachment that solves the problem.
http://www.countryman.com/store/prod...id=95&catid=10

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 11:07 AM   #7
Jim
Your Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav View Post
On the countryman site they have a slightly more robust looking headset than their standard and it has a more robust cabel. They're pretty pricey.

For 99 bucks you could get this one which looks just like a countryman and says it's sweat proof.
http://www.sumakaya.com/product.asp?sku=HMMA000066
Gav, do you know anyone who has that mic?

I like that it comes with the wrap around head set... and not the $70 add on clip that Countryman offers.
Old 05-26-09, 11:25 AM   #8
gav

Nope Jim, had never seen it untill yesterday.
I found an even cheaper one, really cheap !! cheap enough for you to by one just as an experiment cheap !!
http://www.theelectronicsshop.co.uk/mics_headband.htm

Last edited by gav; 05-26-09 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-27-09, 11:36 AM   #9
Frisbee

nady also makes a thin one and the sound quality is pretty decent. and it has a wrap around both ears system that keeps it locked in place.

I think it is called the hm-10 and will run and average of about 60$.
but here I just found it for 40$

http://www.buy.com/prod/nady-hm-10-m...202807600.html

you can get it wired for 3.5mm or the mini xlr

-Greg

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 05-28-09, 03:49 AM   #10
Aaron Gregg

Thanks for all of the input. I'm glad to know the Countryman is known for dealing with sweat.

I should point out that I'm pretty sure I sweat far more than anyone who has replied. I'm around 250 pounds and expend a lot of energy during my show and also seem to possess a genetic disposition to sweating despite being in reasonably good shape (I just ran 13 kilometers).

I'll be sure to let you know how the Countryman works out on my damp face. Thanks also to Evan for the link to the device that prevents you from having to tape your face - I always hate having to see people do that. They're always so proud of their inconspicuous mic and yet they have a big piece of tape on their face.

-Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Gregg; 05-28-09 at 03:52 AM.
Aaron Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 11:36 AM   #11
elbonko
Casual Observer

Default sweat suit

Gav,

I sweat like it's my job, and I'm working hard for that promotion. I've found that athletic-type wear (basketball shorts and what not) is great for not showing the sweat. Yes, they are often synthetic materials, so you have to be careful about fire, but shouldn't one always be careful about fire? When I use cotton shorts for doing summer shows, after a while the sweat would drip down and make it look like I pissed myself, but the athletic shorts don't have that problem. I'm thinking of commissioning a suit to be made out of it for stage shows.

Just a thought.

-Bonk

www.AaronBonk.com
elbonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 08:01 PM   #12
Isabella

I'm lucky, I'm a girl so I can style my hair to hide the tape, but even with my partner who wears a bun, good-quality medical tape right by the ear, behind the jaw edge, disappears.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 12:06 AM   #13
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

word; I don't mind the look of the tape either, it's just..... annoying

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 01:21 PM   #14
Frisbee

I have used some of the AV-JEFE products, I have not tried the headset, but use the lavs as replacements for my sennheiser, I have mono and stereo ones, and at 15 - 25$ each, it is easy to have multiple back ups, rather than have the 100$+ that the sennheiser replacements are.

I will try one of the headsets from them and let you all know.

the nady one sounds good though, I have one of those and they are actually cheaper than the AV-JEFE version.

-Greg

www.FrisbeeShow.com