performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL AND PITCH ETHICS

Old 06-29-05, 04:57 AM   #21
The Pretty Good

Send a message via AIM to The Pretty Good

Well right now I amin Belguim but when thishappened I was in Central Park in NYC. It was crunch time so I had notimeto argue.
Old 07-20-05, 09:14 AM   #22
Glenn Orange

Default "my" spot, "your"spot

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pretty Good
Well it happened again.
ME: "Hi my name is Brendan and this is Roc."
Them: "Dont care, dont care"
Them: "Every week its a new face coming to take our spot."
ME: "Thats wierd, for us every week its a new city and new friends."
I Still dont feel like fighting about it.
The way we do it in Charleston, Sc: It's YOUR spot if you are on it. No one has any right to come up to you when you are laready set up and claim it as "their" spot.
We have this one loser "One-Man-Band" who comes into town for the Spoleto festival and tried to pull that with me, and I LIVE in this neighborhood!! He tried to tell me he was hired by the city for that particular spot, which was bullshit. I mean this guy had all the class of a someone who's used to saying "the check's in the mail". Of course, I didn't move, and when he tried to run interference, I had the backup of other performers.
The guy then decided it was best to find another section of street.
I have never gone on tour; I'm not sure how I would handle it if someone tried to move me off my spot in a strange city....I'd like to think I would stand my ground.
Glenn Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-06, 04:50 AM   #23
The Pretty Good

Send a message via AIM to The Pretty Good

musicians are a different story all together. Don't forget to ask for a $5.
Old 09-11-06, 04:06 PM   #24
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin

Some dude threatend my life last night in Washington SQ. One of those little bands that come out with thier acoustic guitars and mike stands and amps late at night trying to be "discovered" or something. I was playing the one man band prolly 100 feet away from them unamplified and the dude walks right up next to me in the middle of my show putting on some fighting gloves and telling me how disrespectful I was and how I needed to stop playing (His crowd had sadly left him and the band once I showed up) I told him we'd leave it up to the crowd and then asked them they of course cheered for me to stay he left saying a number of threatening words I told him to take it up with my four big brothers pointing four very large dudes out of the crowd, one of them turned out to be a street fighter, and another a pro boxer. They walked me out of the place after my show and took me out to dinner. NICE.

I would agree with sunshine on the mediocre performers thing. Just keep an alright distance and don't take any shit. First come first serve. Everyone else can just fuck off. The crowd is on your side.

Last edited by jayrodin; 09-11-06 at 04:09 PM.
jayrodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 06:54 PM   #25
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA

Dude be careful in that park your crowd is not always there especially at night. When the police and park rangers leave it's a free for all out there sh** can get crazy be careful.
I'll be in the park this weekend if I see you out there i'll talk to you in peron and answer any questions you need answered about Washington square park and any other NYC hot spots...

Last edited by USA BREAK DANCERS; 09-21-06 at 06:56 PM.
USA BREAK DANCERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 07:02 PM   #26
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin

Thanks for the advice. I'll be in Friday and maybe Sat. See you I hope.
Old 07-03-08, 11:27 AM   #27
kennethkahn

Default We have the same problem

In San Fran(sillyness)cisco, we have the same problem. So called "professional buskers, and street punks, thinking they have a special right to claim performing turf (Fishermans Turf, I mean Wharf).

I feel as though buskers need to come together and unite on one simple point, FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE, regardless of performers talent level. If not, there to much confusion, and then it becomes a matter of might makes right.

Peace

Kenny teh Clown
kennethkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 11:36 AM   #28
kennethkahn

Default Turf wars

I would just like to add to my last comment, that buskers theory have absolutely fantastic jobs that allow them to come to work when they want, and leave when they wish as well. Along with this freedom, in my oppinion, comes responsability to make sure the people who come after them can enjoy this same freedom. And unless we can insist upon justice for everyone, there will be no freedom for anyone.

I say that to say this, I think buskers need an international code of ethics help us as a community to decide right from wrong. Perhaps there is one, and I'm just not in the know. Either way, I think that code should involve the code of the streets, since afterall that's where we all perform.

I'd like to hear Jim, and others way in on this subject.

Thanks

Kenny the Clown (KTC)
aka Kenneth Kahn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cityhallpic.jpg (60.8 KB, 140 views)
Old 07-05-08, 11:59 AM   #29
kennethkahn

Default He's right...but

Alakazam is right, but I've seen some of his act on video, and it's very extrordinary. Way more so than mine, particularly my act before I added the fire torches while riding a uni-cycle. The problem though, is what about the act/performer who is not as spectacular. They still have the right to perform. I think there is something to be said for letting the more spectacular advance performers use certain the locations, and the one's that need to work on their craft take the smaller less competitive venues, but this should not be done by the performers themselves, who have a stake (not to mention ego) in deciding that their act is the best.

Plus, a pissing contest does not build up harmony within a community, becaues the guy who gets blasted out of the water is left with hard feelings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haightpics.jpg (41.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-09-09, 02:54 AM   #30
MagiCol

Default Buskers Ive met so far have all been friendly

GlassHarper: "When I hit a venue that's new to me I always look around for the most professional of the performers there, wait 'till the end of his/her show, drop a buck in the bucket and ask what are the local rules, regulations & traditions. Some times it results in new friendships."
I also like to introduce myself to fellow buskers - and it might stand me in good stead if some time some bad eggs turn up.
Old 04-09-09, 12:04 PM   #31
jeep caillouet

I usually tell people that crash my spot "go to work,I don't care what you do". You can't out perform me, at nothing that is unless you are break dancers.Dem guys come up with there getto blasters, rug and 60 boys from the hood. When they through there shit down you may as well move on. Or you could become road kill.
Old 04-09-09, 04:56 PM   #32
MagiCol

UK Break dancers

Do the breakers want the place, the hat, or both? by the time there's a bit crowd of performers they wouldnt get much each from a crowd, would they? I don't have that group performers problem in my nearby small city - I havent seen anybody dancing in the strand I work in. The people here must have other things they think are more important, or just like to hang around. Or maybe they can't/wont dance in public.
Old 04-09-09, 06:00 PM   #33
jeep caillouet

You must not have break dancers in New Zealand?
Old 04-10-09, 07:15 AM   #34
MagiCol

There must be break dancers, but I havent come across them doing their thing on the streets. New Zealand is a small spacious country; largest city is 1 million and total population about 4 million, many of them oldies.
We dont have the intensity of population in cities so not attendant low-rise ghetto appartments. Skateboarding at outdoor skateboard parks seems to be the most common physically-demanding activity for teenagers grouping together in open public/streets and skateboarding is very much a male thing. Many teenagers in public places just hang out together in groups of up to half a dozen, with the fellows doing girl-watching, bragging to each other, chatting. Most towns and cities have a law forbidding open drinking in downtown areas. Drug abuse is bad but off the central city streets - alcohol and mari and P etc. Street entertainers in NZ seem to be pretty low numbers - not enough people to support full-time busking, I reckon. Though I know a guitarist who, from what he tells me, does very well when he does part-time busking in a small circuit of cities/towns. I'm happy enough doing my part-time street magic, balloons, and circus trick/s. I do it mainly for my, and spectators, enjoyment. There is a yearly Buskers Festival in NZ in summer that starts in Christchuch city and them moves on to Auckland city. That brings some big name performers to New Zealand for a month or so and then they move on to other countries again.
Old 04-27-09, 02:04 PM   #35
Irina

Nobody owns a pitch as long as it is public property - a lot of harborfront private companies do assign street performers to specific times and areas. (Bayside Miami, NYC South Street Seaport, Seattle Pike Market etc) The only way to "own a pitch" in US is to get arrested by cops and go through the court-process with a good lawer - in this case you can get the court ruling allowing you and only you to work the certain pitch - I know several street performers who've done this (not me, I feel that this is "selling off to the system", I am a strong believer in "fighting for your rights" in unity).

As to sharing the pitch - general rules of courtesy and good manners apply. If you do not like sharing - work at festivals or on regulated pitches, where management tells where to set up...
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 02:34 PM   #36
Irina

And what I want to add to my last post - Brothers and Sisters, stop fighting! There is much bigger issues here in US with private interests taking over your right to perform on public land! Look at San Francisco City Hall driving out street performers out of Fishermans' Wharf! Look at Central Park, which is still formerly a public park, but is run by 5th Avenue merchants and condo-dwellers, considering it thier pivate backyard! Everywhere I go in USA - it's getting worse and worse for street performers - except for Boston, where Stephen Briard and Community Art Advocates won the Federal lawsuit against the city - so there's a lot of freedom for buskers to work - and fight our petty fights...We are all on one side - freedom of speech and self-expression...if you have a lot of testesterone boiling- fight the big corporations taking over your civil liberties...
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 04:42 PM   #37
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young
Default Peace and love; lets unite and fight "the man"... I agree, but

Even if you are super fair and friendly and democratic; there will still be people who want to push you over. It's best to learn how to hold your ground. An individual performer on an unregulated street may be far more threatened by another performer than "the man".

this thread is really old. I'm not sure why it got dug up and re-started.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 06:56 PM   #38
MagiCol

Default Why revive the thread?

Evan, the issues continue, no doubt. And those who havent yet read all the thread will find extra to read. The pitch/spot where we want to perform is our stage, and we want to be on it, or find or make another one.
Old 04-29-09, 10:17 AM   #39
ROBERT BLAKE

i had this also a few time. some vendors saying that they are doing a special action afternoon and i should leave. i didn't. i said to him the immortal words:" do you know what? we will take your license and my license and go to a cob and ask him what the regulations are here, if i am wrong i leave".

he looked at me and said it was ok.
threatning to get a cob to sort things out worked many times for me.

COWBOY MAGIC SHOW
WWW.ROBERTBLAKE.NL
ROBERT BLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-09, 09:24 PM   #40
roughtoughcreampuf
Aggressively Unfancy

Send a message via AIM to roughtoughcreampuf Send a message via Skype™ to roughtoughcreampuf

You're from Brooklyn? C'mon! Kick some ass!