performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > CLIENT/AGENT/AGENCY ISSUES

Old 11-26-09, 11:11 AM   #1
Isabella

Default "Do you offer an industry discount?"

So I've now had two or three people ask, "Do you offer an industry discount to event planners"? and I've choked down my first response of, "Oh yeah, normally we do business with gravestone carvers and mechanical engineers, but you're in our INDUSTRY, why didn't you say so?" and instead stressed that our price is inclusive of insurance and travel, we provide many acts, etc, etc.

Does anyone else get this question a lot? Is there some question they are asking that's implied by this that I'm not getting? Because I'm kind of like, what do you mean, an industry discount? You asked for my price, and that's my price. If it's more than you can afford, see if you can provide something like travel, or let me know that we're out of your budget and I'll either wiggle if I want the gig or refer you to someone you can afford.

Your thoughts?
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 02:10 PM   #2
Stoned
SideShow Performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
You asked for my price, and that's my price. If it's more than you can afford, see if you can provide something like travel, or let me know that we're out of your budget and I'll either wiggle if I want the gig or refer you to someone you can afford.

Your thoughts?
I agree man fully
Old 11-27-09, 04:25 PM   #3
Kenny Ahern

Default Event Planners

If I had a strong, honest working relationship with an event planner that booked me a lot of work, I would work with them ... to a point ... on price and trade.

However ... my experience has been that event planners will work you hard to lower your price and then buy/sell you as much as double ... or more ... your fee to a client. I even caught an event planner taking a percentage from me AND buy/selling me to a client.

I do agree to a buy/sell on occasion. Only when an agent or event planner is up front with me that they are doing a buy/sell and I get the fee and conditions I want.

-Kenny
Kenny Ahern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 07:01 PM   #4
Flyin' Bob

I agree with Kenny.

This happened to me on corporate shows this winter. An agent got me three gigs; two good($) and one very good($$$). Then called with a fourth one for New Years that was about a third of my going rate. I said yes. It will be at a beautiful hotel in Banff National Park, fee, free food, a room for my wife and me, and a $200 gift certificate.

So it's based on a relationship that has already been established rather than a "promise of future work", which is a perfect set up for a "bait and switch"
Old 11-28-09, 09:44 AM   #5
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Restaurants/bars have service industry nights where you can go and get a discount if you work at one of the other restaurants in town. Doctors treat each other for free.... but unless the event planner is asking you to perform at their birthday party, then I don't get where they get off asking for an "industry discount"....... unless it's for a juggling festival or something. Doing favors for a frequent client is a different story, I wouldn't call it an industry discount.... and I would imagine it changes things a lot if you're a troupe.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com

Last edited by Evan Young; 11-28-09 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 10:29 PM   #6
Chance

Default wrong context

The proper context for this request would be from one planner to another. Asking this of an entertainer shows extreme naivete on this person's part. Either they are very inexperienced or very unprofessional. Either way, it'd be enough for me to steer clear.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 11:12 PM   #7
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Yep, Chance hit the nail on the head.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote