performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 07-16-09, 08:58 PM   #1
shetannoir

Default animal acts.

I have been doing some performing with my small dogs and am running into a problem of people adults and kids trying to reach out and touch them as they perform.
My one dog spooked after this happened at a performance for a pet festival.
She has doing her hoop act and a little girl tried grabbing her while she was in air. I am considering putting a small portable fence around me and the dogs while performing. a fence system like an excerise pen that you see at dog shows.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-17-09, 08:17 AM   #2
jeep caillouet

Default Dog Acts

What did your dog do when it was spooked? What kind of hoop act do you do? Do you have a U.S.D.A. license?
Old 07-17-09, 11:57 AM   #3
shetannoir

she ran behind me and acted nervous for several days afterwards. SHe jumps through a hula hoop and dancings. Checking on the USDA thing now.
Old 07-17-09, 01:06 PM   #4
jeep caillouet

Well some dogs can have a very shy personality or be very timed These are the hardest to train I think because any little thing can really up set them.My dog Cleo is like that, and it ain't always easy, you know I mean.
I'd say put a rope out around your front row. And tell them not to come any closer. "this is the front row!" You probably have enough fences to crose with your audience already.
Animal welfare act is what the U.S.D.A. uses to control animal use, in well, animal shows. We all have license in Key West For our animal shows. It's a license to exhibit. So you are U.S.D.A. inspected and the spca or peta the general public etc can't really hassle you with out going through them first. It's $40.00 a year. there the ones who inspect circus, elephants, lions and tiger shows etc. I'd say don't worry about it to much unless you just need it for something.They'll tell you if you do, then just get it.
Old 07-17-09, 02:01 PM   #5
shetannoir

My dog was doing great until that. Now even going for a walk makes her nervous. I have another dog that I am working with and he is high energy and focus's on me completely. I just like performing with female dogs because I can dress them up in skirts, belly dance costumes, fancy dresses(all made by me). Males not so much. The crowds tend to respond better to cute little dogs in costumes rather then non costumed dogs.
But I have been thinking of making him a monster costume and doing a bit about telling the crowd to be afraid, be very afraid! he's a one of a kind monster, and letting him jump in my arms and make it look like he is attacking me while wagging his tail. goofy and comedy. Then he would some of his tricks.
Old 07-19-09, 09:26 AM   #6
jeep caillouet

I like to dress female dogs up in skirts too, then have them belly dance for me too! I like female dogs better too,My dogs wear boxer shorts.
Old 11-25-09, 02:20 PM   #7
Dynamikemagic

I tried using my rabbit in my magic act. I stopped for two reasons. One reason is because I do not like how the spectators stay near by to pet my rabbit while I set up for my next street busking act. The other reason is because she did not like the heat.
Dynamikemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 08:28 AM   #8
Rachel Peters

It sounds like a tricky show for street, for that reason. BUT I do find people respect a border of some sort, like you're suggesting. A short fence - short enough that people can still comfortably walk over it after, to pay you. I'm a chalker and I used to get really, really frustrated with how much people would knowingly walk on my art as I performed - a bright rope is all it took. Now parents gasp at their children if they step even ON the rope. "You don't cross the line!!"

www.rachelpeters.com
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote