performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > FOR SALE - WANTED > ITEMS FOR SALE

Old 01-24-10, 11:53 AM   #1
anthonygatto

Default Learn the Circus Arts DVD's

For those of you interested, I have a series of DVD's available to help you get started in learning various Circus arts. I am producing several works to show you the basics of certain skills such as juggling, acrobatics, clowning. As of now, there are 3 DVD downloads available including learning to juggle, learning to pratfall, and an advanced workshop on 7 ball juggling. They are available here http://www.anthonygatto.com/v1/products.php . They are reasonably priced, I would go so far as to say cheaply priced, and very informative. Not to mention it's an instant download. All you have to do is burn it to DVD using DIsk Utility for Mac or Nero or equivalent for Windows. I expect to produce at least two more this year, perhaps more. So keep checking back to see what's new. Have a great 2010!
anthonygatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 12:31 PM   #2
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Anthony, this is pretty great.
I would love to hear tips from you on balancing objects and juggling at the same time.

and, can you do one on walking ladder?

P.S. Saw you in Kooza in Baltimore. Really great show.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-10, 04:47 PM   #3
anthonygatto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Young View Post
Anthony, this is pretty great.
I would love to hear tips from you on balancing objects and juggling at the same time.

and, can you do one on walking ladder?

P.S. Saw you in Kooza in Baltimore. Really great show.
Hey Evan,

I used to have some free tutorials on my website that somehow disappeared when I updated it. I do have some here:

http://homepage.mac.com/anthonygatto/FileSharing4.html

These are just quick tutorials, not professional at all, filmed with a home video camera, so keep that in mind... that's why they are free

I don't believe there is a how to balance instruction there.

To give you some tips, your focus should be at the top of the balanced object or the highest point that you can see. The juggling is seen peripherally. Now, this applies in most circumstances, especially if what you are balancing is a long pole or something. If you are juggling higher than the balance, you focus should shift to a different view.

When I balance a ring and juggle, I am actually looking in the air into the center of everything, not focusing on the balance or the juggle, just the space between. I think if you start with something rather long, like a broomstick and try and juggle with it, you'll be focusing on the top of the stick. Also, it help to put something a little more visible to your eye at the top. You could stick a ball or something on top, just to give you a little more to focus on. You'll want to start by balancing and just throwing one ball to the opposite hand, being sure the the ball is thrown high enough to come into your peripherals. At first this will totally throw off the balance, but just keep at it. I had a student balancing and juggling 5 balls in a year(having never juggled before). This is exactly how we went about doing it. Good luck man.

AG
Old 01-25-10, 11:41 AM   #4
jeep caillouet

Hey Gav look up Frank Simon in Las Vegas. He holds the world record for balancing crap on his face. That is google him.
Old 01-26-10, 03:26 AM   #5
gav

Hey Jeep, why are you telling me that ? I haven't even posted in this thread till now.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 01:41 PM   #6
jeep caillouet

Sorry Gav, I meant Evan.HUMMMMM I wonder ''what was I smoking''
Old 01-27-10, 07:19 PM   #7
Steven Ragatz

If you're interested in some online tutorials, check out a website that I've authored:

http://www.circusartsonline.com

There are some introductory tutorials geared for the very serious beginner (particularly social circus groups.) All are written by professional CdS artists.

Steven Ragatz
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:08 AM   #8
anthonygatto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ragatz View Post
If you're interested in some online tutorials, check out a website that I've authored:

http://www.circusartsonline.com

There are some introductory tutorials geared for the very serious beginner (particularly social circus groups.) All are written by professional CdS artists.

Steven Ragatz
Nice Site. I would look for a little more detailed information. Sometimes drawings don't exemplify exactly what needs to be visualized. But it certainly can be of some help to a beginner.
AG
Old 01-29-10, 02:39 PM   #9
Steven Ragatz

The site was developed as a prototype proposal for the Cirque du Monde program. The idea was to create introductory tutorials for the social circus schools to use as guides for their classes. Since resources for many of these schools are very scarce, even Internet connectivity, the site has a very small footprint. Because of this, tutorials are done with illustrations rather than video, they are black and white with no gender or racial implications and they attempt to convey the information visually as much as possible for the many viewers who can't read.

The tutorial subjects are a bit scattered, but they represent the sort of content that could be developed if folks would get behind the project. Imagine five or six tutorials from each of the Cirque shows. That would be an impressive online resource!

After many attempts to get someone in Montreal to view and consider the prototype, my project proposal was unceremoniously rejected, and the only response I got was the form letter I received the legal department.

I've done dozens of workshops with the Cirque du Monde program over the years, but generally speaking, my experience has been disappointing to say the least. I keep trying - after all, it's not the kids fault, and their the ones that lose out.

Steven Ragatz
Old 01-29-10, 11:05 PM   #10
anthonygatto

Yeah, it's quite difficult to get Cirque to bite on projects. But why limit it to Cirque? There are countless performers out there with years of generational experience that may be intrigued by your project. Perhaps even retired artists or artist close to retirement. I feel that the life long artists have much to offer in this respect.

My videos are reasonably priced, well thought out and filmed. I figure in this generation that the need is possibly more aggressive in the digital format.

Keep plugging though you'll find the nitch you're looking for.

AG
Old 01-30-10, 11:28 PM   #11
Steven Ragatz

I'll probably get back to the circusartsonline project when I've renewed some enthusiasm. Without anyone else pushing the project, it stalls whenever I get distracted. I was hoping to get Cirque behind it so that they could put some of their people on the task of assembling content. With eighteen shows (?), there's plenty of experience and knowledge to be mined.

I'm sure that your videos are of the highest caliber and well worth an aspiring circus artist's interest. Best of luck to you.

Steven Ragatz
Old 02-15-10, 12:01 PM   #12
anthonygatto

Balancing is one of my specialties... check out this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb4gGGmQ7M
Old 02-15-10, 11:39 PM   #13
Stoned
SideShow Performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygatto View Post
Balancing is one of my specialties... check out this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qb4gGGmQ7M
That was kool dude. I want to learn to balence the sword I swallow on my face before I swallow it, I think that would be neat.

Tags
circus art dvd, clowing, learn juggling