performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 10-26-09, 02:20 PM   #1
Rachel Peters

Default The Dangers of Blockhead

Has anyone here ever gotten a sinus infection from blockhead?
I can feel my sinuses act up now and then, when I've done it a few times in a day.

...I just learned to get bigger stuff in there and a little down the gullet. My big, plastic glasses are the perfect prop to take everywhere. Who needs the hassle of nails in the airport!

www.rachelpeters.com
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 09:55 PM   #2
Stoned
SideShow Performer

Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Peters View Post
Has anyone here ever gotten a sinus infection from blockhead?
I can feel my sinuses act up now and then, when I've done it a few times in a day.

...I just learned to get bigger stuff in there and a little down the gullet. My big, plastic glasses are the perfect prop to take everywhere. Who needs the hassle of nails in the airport!
Aside from the occasional nose bleed, I've never hurt my self doing blockhead... Except this one time when this guy pushed on the pair of scissors I was using when I was having him (a volunteer) remove the object from my face. Little prick lol. I like your idea with the glasses lol. Nice
Old 10-28-09, 08:09 PM   #3
MisterM

Nope, and I do a looot of blockhead. My advice is, if you plan on doing this many times a day, use an object that is slightly smaller than what you can actually do. Originally I used the biggest nail I could, after about the 4th or 5th performance there would be a little blood, now I use a smaller nail if I am going to be doing it over and over.
MisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 10:34 PM   #4
Stephon
Handonmy Member

I haven't gotten a sinus infection, but I suppose it's possible--if the nail isn't clean and you sniff bacteria up into your sinuses, that could theoretically lead to infection.

A problem I have had when doing multiple blockheadings(?), using a large diameter nail is that the mucus membranes get irritated and swollen. That can cause stuffiness and feel like sinus trouble.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 07:46 PM   #5
Daniel Mooncalf

If you're prone to sinus issues, this'll increase your risk. After getting all the boogers off it, rub it down with Germ X gel.

Also, Guaifenesin is a good way to expel any potential infections before they actually infect.
Old 10-14-10, 10:20 AM   #6
Jim Mackenzie

I'm a big fan of the Neti Pot after a day of blockhead. I used to get sinus infections quite a bit until I started doing the blockhead and was given a Neti Pot. Google it, you can find plastic ones at most pharmacies. Don't bother with those wimpy sinus rinse squeeze bottles, they are not the same. I use the Neti Pot anytime I've been around allergens and have been infection free for years now.
Jim Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote