performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 08-02-10, 07:44 PM   #1
heckler

Default There is Always That One Kid...

You know the one, he/she is everywhere.

His parents work there at the pitch in a store or booth. Kid is left alone every day wandering around the fest. Parents send him away so he comes and bothers you. I guess he figures it's your job to entertain him even though he's seen your act a hundred times and is bored with it.

So to keep himself entertained he sits there, in the front row, shouting out your punchlines before you get to them, explaining the secret to the tricks to anyone in earshot, running in and out of the circle. basically doing everything he can to ruin your show. He wants to play with your props,and he bring his friends around to also "just hang-out" with you.

Who is this kid, why are his parents OK with letting him run around, why are WE responsible to babysit this brat? Some pitch-rats are are cool and enjoy helping out, then there are those others.

What can you do? Talking to the kid doesn't help, talking to the parents only helps for a little while. Becoming a complete jerk to the snot-nosed, crotch grape only seems to encourage him. You can't ignore him; it only amps up his volume.

A thumb to the soft-spot? Give him enough candy to OD on? Rat-poison wrapped in a juice-box??

I guess it takes a village to raise really annoying kids...
heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 12:19 AM   #2
Lex Brodie

If you really feel like being evil, call Child Protective Services and tell "mom" you're doing so.
Lex Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 12:33 PM   #3
bsarafian12
Bruce Sarafian

Smile

PERFECT RESPONSE, love it..........

Bruce
bsarafian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 02:33 PM   #4
Lex Brodie

Thankyew, thankyew, I'm here all week .... try the macaroni ....

Honestly, I don't know what you do about brats. I'm not out busking (trumpet music) yet but I have some fears of brats on BMX bikes myself.

Of course a fairground situation, those kids have NO WHERE else to go, and this can be used: Mom's no doubt already on thin ice for being a carny, or is nervous about it. CPS could be used.....
Old 08-03-10, 09:32 PM   #5
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Yeah, I know that kid.

I took care of it by talking to him before the show; I explained nicely to him that it was nice that he enjoyed the show enough to keep coming back, and pointed out to him that the other people in the audience hadn't seen the show before and that when he yelled out the punchlines or tipped the tricks that it ruined the show for others.

He actually understood, and behaved from then on.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 10:01 PM   #6
Frisbee

i say something similar to stephon, it happens a lot at the fairs where the same 4-h kids come day after day and 2nd or 3rd day in they start to shout out what is going to happen and the lines you will say.

I say remember that "although you have seen the show and maybe some others too, the vast majority here have not and I would like them to have the same first experience with the show that you had and obviously enjoyed so much to memorize and keep coming back."

it pretty much always works and most kids do understand.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 08-03-10, 10:37 PM   #7
Isabella

I've found all those to work very well, especially since the kid usually wants to belong or to be part of something. When reason doesn't work, I go with, "Hey, where are your parents? Gosh, I'm sorry, there's some dangerous stuff in this show, so I can't let anyone watch unless they are here with Mom or Dad. I hope you'll come back, but you gotta go find a parent, OK?"

Then I don't look like a bitch for evicting them from the audience if I have to do it in front of other audience members.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 11:10 PM   #8
Lex Brodie

That's pretty cool, Frisbee.

In my own case, I suspect the kids-on-BMX-bikes scenario I imagine will end with my playing some stuff THEY know, their being astonished at how it can be played on a trumpet, and their kind of wandering off.

Those kids the OP has a problem with, are basically "captive hecklers" in that their mom has decided to raise them in the carny life and they have no where else to go.
Old 08-04-10, 01:05 AM   #9
Mr.Taxi Trix

Calling child protective for a heckling kid is killing an annoying fly with a tank and several air strikes.

You want to sanitize "your" piece of the public space, do whatever you need to, but calling child protective is visiting real, genuine hardship on a parent, and often, on the child as well.

Deal with it yourself, remembering the "If you really feel like being evil" context from Lex's advise.

Get ten lines that work, or twenty,
http://www.performers.net/forums/sho...light=annoying
make the kid an ally, give them a slightly paying job, find ways to rise to the challenge such that it improves your work as a street performer, not
your effectiveness as a crybaby.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 01:11 PM   #10
Lex Brodie

This is why I said, it's really being evil.

I've seen parents who kept their kids out of school, had them drinking hard liquor and smoking cigarettes at age 11 (the liquor was the only foodstuff in the house) etc CPS would be an improvement.

In some of these cases it's the lesser evil.
Old 09-13-10, 07:46 PM   #11
Daniel Mooncalf

"When you do that, you're ruining my show. Please stop."

OR

"Get the FUCK out of my show."

OR

Talk to the mom or festival organizer.
Old 09-14-10, 11:06 PM   #12
sippy

I've had problems controlling kids in our pitches before. I found the best thing that's worked for me is I will single out the kid, put them front stage centre, and say that "I'm auctioning off this child to the highest bidder and will take the profit unless the parent comes to claim them immediately."
Old 09-14-10, 11:35 PM   #13
ALAKAZAM

Kids don't seem to fuck with me, ever! Get some tattoos dudes.

ALAKAZAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 09:15 PM   #14
RiffRaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAKAZAM View Post
The most frightening tattoo I've ever seen said, "Welcome to Jamaica, man. Have a nice day."
It was proudly worn by a guy named 'Bonk'.
RiffRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 02:24 AM   #15
gav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAKAZAM View Post
No tattoos, no piercings, nobody ever fucks with me, kids or adults.
Maybe it's the leopard hair ?
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 08:22 PM   #16
Bob Carr

If you two don't have any problems, then maybe it's the pole?

I find that kids start to interact with the show like that as soon as they start feeling like you are their friend. With any new friendship he wants to find our where he is in the pecking order with you. So he finds a sensitive area to poke you, one that will get a reaction and sees how long he can get away with it. Once you look hurt when he steals the punch line, he knows this is a working trigger and he now knows how to mess with you. This gives him higher status. And playing status games with someone that has 200 people watching must give quite the kick.
If you notice it happening in your show, look at him like a misbehaving dog. The second time it happens, treat him like your son or your little brother. In both these cases, don't act it, be it. Treat him like your older brothers treated you, or like you treated your younger ones. The worst thing you can do is give him the message that you are playing. You are not. Be direct. Use personal and hurtful heckle lines. "Sorry, Mom never gave him the attention he wanted, so he trys to get it from me." "Excuss me! You don't have a speaking part here." Blurt the first part of the sentence out to shock him and awaken his fight or flight reflexes. This will give him a different kind of kick. But after that if he still wants to fight, you have put pressure on him and hopefully won't be able to think straight. (and remember your lines.)

The people on poles don't have this problem because they work with high status characters. But it may also be the Australian training grounds. Status is important there.

I'll write some more later, on dealing with them off pitch.
Old 10-19-10, 09:24 PM   #17
Aaron Gregg

Default I'm lazy

With the kids who hang around the pitch and disrupt things I've found that ignoring them after the show works wonders. As some people have mentioned the kids are trying to be part of things and it seems they know they're not wanted when I don't respond to their questions and tell them sternly not to touch anything.

-Aaron