performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 10-13-10, 05:05 PM   #1
Dustin the Dubious

Question Question

Hello everyone,
I've done a lot of searches on this forum into the world of street performers at theme parks, and I've seen that many people on this forum have worked theme parks. My question is, what is the proper route to finding a job as a street performer with your own original work at a theme park? I've found some parks such as Valleyfair that have specific information for buskers, but none of the other parks seem to have any mention of them.

I'm interested in finding summer work in a midwestern theme park that is willing to allow me to do my own material, instead of character walkarounds and such. Is it better to e-mail the Entertainment department directly with an inquiry about the job, or do all parks that are interested in street performers eventually audition for them? I know that currently most parks are in their Halloween mode and aren't even thinking about summer stock, but I'd like to at least have my bearings now so that I can start contacting potential employers in January.

Thanks for all of your help!
Dustin
Old 10-13-10, 06:27 PM   #2
Lex Brodie

One way I can think of is, do a video of what you plan to perform as, dress up in your character, costume, make-up, whatever you'll be wearing in real life, do your thing so they can see your thing (lol!) and let 'em decide. Stick it on a CD or DVD, let 'em slap it on their computer and see what they think.

Just my 2c
Lex Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 07:19 AM   #3
Steven Ragatz

Most of the parks that I know about will be holding auditions about now. They'll want to be hitting some colleges during the fall semester. Check online at each park for their audition schedule. Chances are you'll have to audition in person, but maybe video is more accepted these days, I don't know for sure since it has been many years since I worked in a park.

Having your own material will not be a problem as long as it is in keeping with the park's audience and expectations. Family-friendly will more than likely be the expected norm, so you may want to clean up any material that you think might be offensive.

Audition for lots of different parks even if you don't initially intend to work them. The experience of auditioning alone will be beneficial.

Steven Ragatz
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 02:18 PM   #4
Dustin the Dubious

Thanks guys, this is a lot of help. But what about parks that don't necessarily hire original street performers every summer? I know that places like Six Flags and ValleyFair probably have specific auditions for buskers, but what about other theme parks? What should be in my e-mail when I initially contact them? What's the best way to approach a theme park that has no precedent of hiring original street performers?

Last edited by Dustin the Dubious; 10-25-10 at 02:22 PM.
Dustin the Dubious is offline   Reply With Quote