performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 03-07-11, 02:20 PM   #1
Mike Weakley

Default Entertainersbystate.com

I recently received an unsolicited email from this website called Entertainersbystate.com. They were trying to get me to buy an ad on their site. With ads starting out at just $26 a year, it sounded like an affordable way to advertise. I checked the site out and found a couple of other performers on it that I know. So I contacted them and asked if they thought if was worth the investment. None of them had ever heard of this company, had never sent them any money, and had no idea how their name and weblink ended up on the site. This raised all sorts of red flags in my head. Does anyone out there have any dealings with this company? If so, what is your opinion?

Mike
http://www.StiltFun.com
Mike Weakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 01:44 PM   #2
tacrowl

This is another Patricia J. Fleming site. I signed up for one of her sites when she was starting. I guess I have been migrated to that site as well. She constantly e-mails about her "print" entertainment books that supposedly goes out to agencies and entertainment buyers. Personally, I can't track anything back to any of the "exposure" she provides.
Tom
Old 05-03-11, 06:16 PM   #3
Mike Weakley

Wow!
I just received a scathing email from Patricia Fleming accusing me of posting damaging comments about her website (Entertainersbystate.com) here on P-net. She said that my above post has caused a decline in sales for her site, and that I have interfered with the livelihood of the 800 entertainers listed with her. If anyone out there has had any positive dealings with Patricia and/or her website, PLEASE post about it & let everyone here on P-net know. I would love to hear about it. Thank you.

Mike
http://www.StiltFun.com
Mike Weakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 06:58 PM   #4
martin ewen

patricia needs to pull her head out of her ass.
You outlined a specific situation wherein you received what you believed to be an unsolicited email for a commercial proposition. I believe the definition of that is spam.

You then went on to conduct due diligence on the company involved and based on that posed questions concerning the business that contacted you here on Pnet.

You made no claim against this business apart from the assertion that you had found some of the advertisers on it were not aware they were being advertised.
If this is untrue and the advertisers actually do have a commercial arrangement then you should retract that statement as it indeed does hurt her bottom line but rather than do the intelligent PR thing and come on here and answer the questions you posed this individual went into full, "Best defense is a good offense" adversarial mode , thus taking an opportunity to market their services and ineptly turning that into a lose lose situation where the best outcome is damage control.

Allow me to make a 'comment' Patricia Fleming has lost an opportunity to market her services by focusing on defending them rather than promoting them on their own merits.

She has waived the potential to answer your valid questions in a forum in which her services have a potential market.

Silly her.

Last edited by martin ewen; 05-03-11 at 07:03 PM.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 12:19 AM   #5
jugglery

Default Entertainers by State

Yes, Patricia Fleming sends out emails. I asked to be taken off her list because I was not in her market. She sent back an angry message and said that she would exclude me from ALL opportunities when she markets in my area.

Fine by me!

Steve
jugglery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 02:48 AM   #6
martin ewen

Well it appears I am to be a catspaw for Patricia which appeals to my sense of machiavellian intrigue.

She has communicated with me and her position is that the site in question was an additional online project into which she migrated promotional materials onto at no extra cost [ie free] from a prior hard copy promotion in which talent had indeed paid her to promote on.

She also states
"In fact, Tom Crowl participted in his very generous offer to the Stage and Screen Marketplace listers that were transferred. Tom signed up for a name weblink listing on Stage and Screen Marketplace on May 29, 2010. He paid $26.00. In December of 2010 he responded to our offer to transfer to Entertainers By State in the affirmative. He also took advantage of the offer to run a free upgraded ad weblink in place of the name weblink he previously had. This was a gift to him with a value of $26.00. We received his ad (from him) on December 21, 2011.

I have no idea why he states on performers.net that "I guess I have been migrated to that site as well." Tom Crowl absolutely knows how he got on that site. If he didn't know how he got to the site we would not have an ad from him."

So what it would seem is that there are competing realities. One in which receipts can allegedly be produced to show certain discrepancies in certain narratives put forth in a public forum. Others in which unnamed people are produced [in that common way that makes their mention heresay] to forward a criticism of a business and yet another wherein the business actually emails me with a copy of the letter sent to Mike Weakley so that I might judge how 'scathing ' it was.

It would appear from my own cursory appraisal that perhaps a review of the 'facts' as they have been stated with regards to the concept of 'confirmation bias' might be applicable, and that the conclusive opinions formed by the selection of two individuals who confirmed to one party they were not commercially attached to some online enterprise when that enterprise was a biproduct of another earlier hard copy promotional gig that was transferred online and everyone involved was informed. [Presumably with email records to back this up]

Then indeed we have grounds for if not 'scathing' then at least some delicious backpeddling.

Let the games begin!
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 11:38 AM   #7
tacrowl

I said in my post that I signed up for one of her earlier on-line efforts. For $26 it was worth a try. It's sad that in December I agreed to be migrated and upgraded, but didn't remember it in March. That says more about my memory for details than anything else. I do remember sending a .jpg ad in response to an e-mail last year.

As far as I know, I don't appear in any of her printed media. If I'm wrong on that Patricia, please jog my memory.

I stand by my statement that in the past year, I haven't been able to trace any inquiries to either of those sites. That doesn't mean they don't work - just that I didn't get anything from them. When you get down to the value of being listed on her site or guides, it will probably vary for each individual.