performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 04-10-10, 09:38 PM   #1
martin ewen

Lurk Ashville NC

Any experiences? info? I'm arriving this week to do street business.
I know there's some musicians and one statue but I know nothing else.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 10:28 PM   #2
Isabella

I'd love to know how it goes, I'm going for the last week of April and I'll work if I can!
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 10:56 PM   #3
martin ewen

I'll keep people updated, leaving tomorrow, arriving wed night.
Old 05-07-10, 12:15 AM   #4
PeterIrish

Any info on Asheville?? I'll be there this summer for a bit...
PeterIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 03:04 PM   #5
Isabella

There's a woman named Kitty who is coordinating a summer busker series - in town people get a $100 stipend for two hours, plus hat. Out-of towners get lodging, plus hat. Runs most days of the week. Contact the Downtown Development Office, or a belly-dancer named Onza, or Paulo Garbanzo who I think is on this board and can get you to Onza who can get you to Kitty. Enjoy!
Old 03-02-11, 02:21 AM   #6
Isabella

Update - Kitty is no longer managing the street, but if you are headed that way, I have the contact information for the office that does.
Old 03-02-11, 04:45 AM   #7
martin ewen

I was there early summer 2010. Talked to a nice policewoman who told me their brief is to recognize street performing is an integral part of the cities character and to only really be around for complaints or excessive behavior and even with complaints both sides were considered re possible solutions.

So that was pretty exceptional. No permits as far as I knew. Huge drum circle fri evenings brought crowds and there were small pitches around downtown but not really space for a big circle act unless you wanted to go full on and take the town square. Which could be done.

Usual college town acts. Some experimental creativity showcasing. I saw a busking yoga demo for example . A close up magic act was there but he was the only other made for the street act that wasn't musical. I lie. There was a statue.

Part of April and may I was there.

Update complete.
Old 06-04-11, 03:07 PM   #8
Irina

I worked at Mountain State Fair for several years, and checked out street performing scene in Ashville - it is pretty small in september, no huge crowds...just 10-20 people watching a juggler or magician...more of a hippy scene...If you are heading there in september - you may consider contacting Mountain State Fair in Fletcher, it's only 10 minute drive from Ashville, they are very accomodating....they will not pay you, but they might let you set up for free, it's way better then downtown Ashville.
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 09:54 PM   #9
Stephon
Handonmy Member

How were the hats, Martin? I just came from a festival there; saw a good number of buskers, but heard (not from one of them) that the locals tend to be pretty tight, financially. Beautiful place, tho.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 12:59 AM   #10
Isabella

We did a three-day weekend, in the main park venue, with some newspaper coverage (people did come specifically to see us, but a lot were walk-bys).

We got good crowds and found them surprisingly generous - we got those hats where we made more than there were people in the audience. It rained one day, and we still did ok. I think it did have a positive impact that we are a large show with a rig, and weren't doing the same things the local guitar players and jugglers were doing.

Hat was good enough for two people with a free place to stay that we would come back if the timing was right - we probably wouldn't drive just to do it, but if it was on the way it was totally worth it. Call me if you want numbers and/or the current contact information for the person in charge

A
Old 06-07-11, 01:20 AM   #11
martin ewen

Re how were the hats?

Well as you know money means less to me than the ego-boost of simply succeeding to be someone other than myself for a couple of minutes.

That said, polished [or worldweary] acts kinda stand out and people are not reluctant to show they enjoyed it. You can do a 10/15 minute flash and pull $40 for instance, nothing too spectacular but OK.

There are a lot of festivals in and around over the summer. I was just there to work an untried rare US street environment. But thought I could do admin in advance some other year and line up quite a few different annual paying gigs.

As it was I picked up some NBA players one year olds birthday party out of the adventure so there's that too.

I was there only mid april/mid may.