performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 06-16-03, 03:03 PM   #1
Sean Miller

Post Niagara Falls -- American or Canadian Side

My partner and I were wondering if anyone knows anything about Niagara Falls, on either side.

Anybody worked there?

How tight are they?

Any pitches to hit or avoid?

You know the usual stuff.

Heavy Hats to all.
Sean Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 03:53 PM   #2
Pele

Send a message via ICQ to Pele Send a message via Yahoo to Pele
American side is a no go unless you auditioned back in May. They had open auditions for 15 spots. Those spots were assigned on a rotationary basis to accepted performers. If you perform there without the performance i.d. or on someone else's time/pitch...there is a fine to the tune of $250.

Canadian side feels it draws people away from money sucking attractions and so does not condone it. I never did look into permits though. HOWEVER, the park across from the falls (technically, a long grassy strip) is a nice place to do it. Lots of passersby and a few escape routes if need be! [img]wink.gif[/img] During the Festival of Lights, I think would be the biggest draw.

"I'd like to be a glow worm, a glow is never glum, cause how can you be gloomy, when the sun shines out your bum?"
Pele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 06:41 PM   #3
Stretch

I see where Blondin did pretty good at Niagara.
http://www.stiltwalker.com/BlondinCrossesNiagara.jpg
you wont believe this!

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 10:21 PM   #4
Pele

Send a message via ICQ to Pele Send a message via Yahoo to Pele
Stretch...there is a whole museum in NF dedicated to that stuff, people who have gone over in barrels, people who have walked across, sky dove across, etc. The history of the stuff there is interesting. I remember Blondin's tale pegged up on a wall! [img]smile.gif[/img] One of the "bullet catchers" in history even did his stunt there because of the backdrop, but he only ever did it 3 times. *need to go look for his name*

To busk there would be cool, once people peel their eyes from the falls and from the garrish sites on the hill! [img]smile.gif[/img]

"I'd like to be a glow worm, a glow is never glum, cause how can you be gloomy, when the sun shines out your bum?"
Pele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 08:53 AM   #5
Seamus

Thumbs down

I did a show (or rather tried to do a show) on the Canadian side during the summer of 2001. I was shut down by the police within 15 minutes. The reasons they provided were multitudinous (drawing money from other attractions, danger to tourists, distraction, etc...). They wrote me up, and stated that if I was caught doing the same thing again they would puruse further legal action, whatever that means. I did get a bit of a hat out of the audience. Which was impressive because me arguing with the police for five minutes to have them let me finish my finale really did a number on the size of my audience. The police freaked out when people started putting money into my hat though.
Old 03-08-05, 06:04 PM   #6
Seamus

Default Anyone tried recently?

I thought I'd revive this thread to see if anyone has tried to get a show off on the Canadian side of the falls in the past few years? It would be a huge pitch if someone could crack it. The crowds are massive. And after watching water fall off a cliff for about five minutes they hurriedly scamper away looking for somewhere to throw their tourist dollars.

I reckon as the property belongs to the government and is administered by what is for all intents and purposes a public corporation there is the possibility of pursuing the legal rights to do a show there. If I lived closer to the area I'd consider doing it.

Any thoughts?
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 09:54 AM   #7
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin

Not sure about Canadian side but I was just at the falls yesterday and if you want to do a show on the American side call Sandy Wilkolowski 716-278-1785. She is incharge of permits.
Old 04-29-09, 12:06 PM   #8
bretblackshear

Default Niagara Falls, NY

For what it's worth on an old thread.
Just contacted the city clerks' office today for Niagara Falls, NY inquiring about busking guidelines.
They were very nice and told me that one needs to come to the city clerks' office in person to get a temporary license (you will be asked to describe your act, what you'll wear, your mobility, etc.). The temp license is at no charge and is good for city property only. Private property requires permission from the owner of said property. The temp license is essentially good for 30 days, which during that time if there have been no problems or complaints, then a longer permit can be issued.
The only other thing they need is a 24/7 phone contact number that will be provided to the police for contact/security purposes.

Bret Blackshear
www.imcurious.com
bretblackshear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 08:50 AM   #9
dawndream

We seriously need to attack the city counsel about this pitch! It would be a perfect pitch & would draw more people anyway. My mom now lives in this area, I'm willing to start a fight about it
dawndream is offline   Reply With Quote