performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 03-03-11, 09:22 PM   #21
Scot Free

Default Ya,

What he said i said he said.
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:18 PM   #22
martin ewen

Yeah what he said, I said, he said, I said.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:40 PM   #23
Scot Free

That's what he said, i said, he said, i said, he said.
Old 03-03-11, 10:46 PM   #24
martin ewen

Lurk

Still waiting on feedback on what he said, I said, he said, I said, he said, I said.
Old 03-04-11, 06:49 PM   #25
Scot Free

Default Pardon me but

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin ewen View Post
Still waiting on feedback on what he said, I said, he said, I said, he said, I said.
i don't like the way you said what he said, I said, he said, I said, he said, I said.
Old 03-05-11, 10:49 AM   #26
harmonicakev

Default ?

"We don't exploit this difference so much as spend our lives selflessly conscious of our own bullshit while in short bursts distracting our audiences from theirs."

I'm not sure this is quite what I'm doing when I busk, but I find Martin's musing(s) fascinating as always.

Kevin M.
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 10:22 PM   #27
martin ewen

Hey!

Fuck yeah!
Ive got muse out the ying-yang brother.
Sometimes I think that all I have is muse, that I'm just some rare almost afflicted super-saturation of muse with a pulse and legs. ( and even they are Muse-y , elongated unreal Muse bourne conceits.)
But I fInd for me at least if I muse right out to the borders I find I'm like at the edge of an inclosed floating paddling pool of muse bobbing on the surface of an infinite ocean of the as yet unmused.
Whoa look out muse alertspam

Strangers don't as a rule look each other in the eye long enough for much to be transmitted. It's just not safe and it doesn't feel natural. I'm impressed that performers do this as a primary part of their jobs. They might not recognize how primary it is. They might think it's about their funny lines or their skills but it's my opinion, after much observation, that it's about the eye contact or in the audiences perception and/or approximation of it they can amplify and personalize .spam

I'm working on the theory that more is communicated in a profound glance than in any singular verbal or written statement. Tale your significant other for example. Sometimes a shared look conveys as much as a book written by each about the other.

And whether an audience member receives what you design your gaze to transmit or simply uses the contact like an empty palate to invent what they need to hear the point is more or less the same.

Communion

That is why theatre will never die. Every chattering ego in the room or street corner focuses on something outside itself and in so doing rests it's elbow on the shovel of it's own self regard.

I've got to a point in my mimehood where I risk simply looking at people trusting that given what you perceive is what you want/need to, that they will see in my interaction with them and others what they need.

Communion.

I don't know how many people would agree with this but it's my muse and I'm sticking to it and a lot of what I do is this very experiment.

These musi are the property of Martin ewen and may not be reproduced for profit without his expressed permission.

Heh heh

Last edited by martin ewen; 03-07-11 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Tale=take and itouch forbids editing various "spam"
Old 03-21-11, 10:25 AM   #28
omnigut

Send a message via Skype™ to omnigut

Martin, Scot,
Hello, and sorry about the long delay, but on the road. I don't know whether I can properly answer your questions, but here goes...

Fiscal Agent: After talking in length to Stephen Baird, Busker Advocates is taking donations in our name (for a small fee), making them tax deductible. He has been a big influence in setting this up.

Qualifications: I ran Undercover New York (UNY) for 3 years, lived with a busker for a year, was inspired by a Covent Garden busker at age 8 to learn how to juggle, and have since gone busking a few times. I've not done any academic writing on the subject, but have done academic research. Not sure whether any of that qualifies me (I've hardly lived the life), but I am definitely a busker fanboy. Hope my perspective grows as I travel.

Community: This is probably the weakest link in our project, but yeah, we do hope to build a bit of an international community. Performers.net and others already do this job, but I'm not sure they so actively hunt down buskers in foreign countries. In my over-stimulated head, I see quite a global space with little flags to translate the site into various languages.

As for how it would differ from the customer base, free content provider and unpaid techs, I don't know if it does. But I'm not sure I totally understand the question I'll try to give a better answer if you could clarify

What's in it for us? I ran UNY for three years out-of-pocket, with no adverts, no attempt to sell it, or to get funds from the people I put on the site. I know that some of them did get business from me, (probably more than I knew) which I did not take a part of. It was just a way of making my days more fun on the cheap. This time, I'm hoping to get a film and book out of this.

As for what you get; I'm just hoping that aside from the odd job or two, buskers that we meet and promote will enjoy a little more recognition for what they do and who they are. Maybe our audience will treat their local buskers a bit better too.

As for the bullshit, it's why I like you.

I've got to go (36 hour trip to Barcelona, where we've got a few more performers lined up and lots more to meet), but hopefully this answers a bit. If you ask more questions I'll get to them ASAP. Thanks,

Nick x
omnigut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 02:27 PM   #29
martin ewen

Well good luck to you.

This concept of 'curation' might amount to something in a general sense. It's certainly a popular new buzzword.

Conceptually it might gain traction or may be discarded as overambitious. Time will tell.

Written elsewhere, my thoughts on curation.
winsome cowboy 3:20 am
Curation is an elastic concept in a world where new 'galleries' are digital.

My initial knee-jerk feeling is that it's merely a pretentious term for content middle management with the emphasis in status away from the content provider and weighted towards the venue provider. I have to watch my reactionary nature because as age deflates my self importance and provides cumulative data I must recognise I'm only right 70% of the time. : )

Curator as trusted digital magpie, a personal shopper for the digerati perhaps?

One, opinion of mine that I would state as a truth if I wasn't so damn scared of dropping into the 60 percentiles is that the interconnectivity of and availability of venues for content erodes the very concept of curation.

The fact that you have buttons that allow linkages to facebook and various other galleries is an accepted tactic and defense against the almost limitless propagation of content on it's own merits irrespective of your curation of it.

In my limited experience curators are people who historically exploited artists given that real-estate for art buyers was finite.
Now it's digitally infinite. Maybe I need to check a dictionary. maybe curators are more than agents for products.

My understanding is that a curator is a gatekeeper for an intellectual nieche market?

Like a madam in any cerebral whorehouse for which a clientele can be found.

People sometimes say I have a problem with authority and I really have no idea what they mean. : )
Old 03-22-11, 07:53 AM   #30
omnigut

Default Love it.

"Like a madam in any cerebral whorehouse for which a clientele can be found."

Absolutely. Facebook, youtube, twitter et al are just more middlemen. As is Undercover New York and part of The Busking Project.

However, if we extended your metaphor, I'd be a madam in a whorehouse who doesn't take a direct cut of sales, does not charge entry, does not sell alcohol, claims no control over the whores in my service, and merely plans on bringing to prospective employers (hotel owners?) evidence that I'd directly increased the clientele of my whorehouse during my stay.

I think I'm going to go open up a nudist buskers emporium on 2nd Life. You heard it here first!
Old 03-22-11, 04:34 PM   #31
martin ewen

I'm sorry we'd have to get to know each other a little more before I'd feel comfortable letting you extend my metaphor.
Old 03-27-11, 09:10 AM   #32
harmonicakev

Default Hah!

"we'd have to get to know each other a little more before I'd feel comfortable letting you extend my metaphor. "

Too late!
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 08:48 AM   #33
omnigut

Hey all,
I just wanted to catch up, and request some negative feedback. We've got the trip well underway (130 days in), filmed 90 buskers, and are exhausted. It'd be nice to see what you think, now that we're halfway through.
Old 07-16-11, 09:37 AM   #34
jeep caillouet

How about Mallory Sq. sunset celebration Key West, Fl. USA or Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl. USA These are specific busker pitches on the east coast, among others . Come on down I'll take you sailing.
Old 07-16-11, 09:46 AM   #35
omnigut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep caillouet View Post
How about Mallory Sq. sunset celebration Key West, Fl. USA or Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl. USA These are specific busker pitches on the east coast, among others . Come on down I'll take you sailing.
Jeep, I'd love to, but we are really rushed. Gotta do New York, and then a destination (or two) in Canada, then racing over to the West coast to do Seattle and SF. Might not even get to NOLA, which would be a crime, but there you go.

Thanks for the offer though we'll have to come by for round two
Old 07-16-11, 11:00 PM   #36
martin ewen

I don't like your shoes.