performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 08-23-11, 09:47 AM   #1
Irina

Question How would you defy "a busker"?

What exactly is a 'busker"? The most general definition I could come up with is "an entertainer who gets his compensation directly from the audience" which is a bit different then "street performer" - street performers can be hired by festival or chamber of commerce and not allowed to pass the hat or ask for any donation ("fake buskers"). I also think busking is not necessarily an outdoor thing - there are whole bunch of people on this forum working in bars/clubs...What do you think?
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 02:14 AM   #2
Stoned
SideShow Performer

"Busking" to me is when a performer of any kind chooses when he or she comes and goes, what times they work/preform, and lastly; get paid only through tips or other forms of gratuity
Old 08-25-11, 03:15 AM   #3
davidkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
What exactly is a 'busker"? The most general definition I could come up with is "an entertainer who gets his compensation directly from the audience" which is a bit different then "street performer" - street performers can be hired by festival or chamber of commerce and not allowed to pass the hat or ask for any donation ("fake buskers"). I also think busking is not necessarily an outdoor thing - there are whole bunch of people on this forum working in bars/clubs...What do you think?
I go with the Wikipedia definition, to wit:

"Street performance or busking is the practice of performing in public places, for gratuities, which are generally in the form of money and edibles. People engaging in this practice are called street performers, buskers, street musicians, minstrels, or troubadours. [....]"

The Wikipedia entry I think has an excellent rundown of the history and styles of busking.

URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_performance
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 08:34 AM   #4
Irina

If you go to www.festivalnet.com and do keyword search on "street performers" you'll get 159 festivals who have them - I did some of these gigs, these "street performers" are salaried roving entertainers, they have schedule and do not ask for tips - stllt-walkers, clowns, costume characters etc. I've seen WIKI article, it is a good definition, but I still think that 'busker" and 'street performer" are not exactly the same thing...And what about minstrels performing at courts? They were paid by dukes and kings and were "on schedule"! (at least the famous ones) But they did sure have freedom to travel...
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 03:46 PM   #5
Isabella

I'd say, "No! I'm not moving all the way up to the rope!"
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 12:39 PM   #6
gsidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I'd say, "No! I'm not moving all the way up to the rope!"
Ha!
That'll show em!