performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 06-29-08, 07:08 PM   #1
blueberry_fox

Default Best Mp3 Player?

I'm in the market for some kind of portable music machine. Any one got any tips on a good one?

I'm looking for some thing that works well with those wireless remote things. Preferably has a lot of space and can create play lists on the go.

So far i have been looking at one of the iPod Classics but the price compared to other Mp3 devices is a bit of a turn off.

Any help would be great or any things that i should avoid.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-30-08, 01:10 AM   #2
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

if price is an issue, then the wireless remote thing isn't going to work work out very well at all.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 01:40 AM   #3
blueberry_fox

Care to provide any details about what you mean???

I am not looking for some thing with an inbuilt wireless remote just something that has the ability to work with some of the after market ones.

Also Iím not ruling out the iPod I just feel that they are over priced compared to other units with similar specs, Plus I donít care for what I have heard about Apples customer service on them. If I can get the same features then Iíll go for it.
Old 06-30-08, 10:50 AM   #4
Evan Young

All the affordable remotes are unreliable (in my opinion, there are others). There are recent threads covering this. http://www.performers.net/forums/sho...threadid=10971 The problem you run into is that the remotes tend to get messed up by interference from other radio frequency devices, like your wireless mic.
ipod is by far the most dominant mp3 player on the market, and therefore has the strongest after market selection. The customer service issues with ipods are mostly related to the battery, and that issue has mostly ben resolved in the consumers favor (not on the ipod touch/iphone tho). Other than that I doubt you will find any company that can beat apple's customer service or product reliability. Prices are higher because they try to use better quality components. ipods have a very slim profit margin for apple because they are mostly intended as a big add campaign to get people to buy mac computers (it's working, market share is up to 14%, double two years ago)........ So that's my sales pitch for the ipod, as far as I'm concerned there are no other options.
anyway, good luck

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 07-01-08, 07:54 AM   #5
gav

I've had nothing but trouble with my ipod(now dead) and my ibook. Customer service was crap and repairs expensive and time consuming.
I am very reluctant to ever buy apple again.
As long as they insist on making things smaller, they will become even more unreliable.
I would rather have a product twice as thick and half as breakable.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 06:17 PM   #6
blueberry_fox

Yeah that is the bit the worries me about them i have heard a lot of storys that read just like yours.

Does any one have any suggestions on a non iPod Mp3 player that is up to the job?

Or any suggestions of which iPod does is the best for using in performances and have been reliable?
Old 07-02-08, 09:07 PM   #7
lambda

I've used Apple products for a long time, and had to use customer support on several occasions. Whenever I've had to call customer support while the product is under warranty, I've noticed that the first two people you talk to for a given problem will be useless, just reading from a script, making sure everything is plugged in properly and that you've properly installed all the software and whatever. But the third person you talk to will actually know what they're talking about, and if they can't diagnose and fix the problem over the phone, they'll send you out a box that you can ship your computer/iPod/whatever back in, and it will be repaired or replaced promptly.

So, if you have any problems, make sure you're persistant enough to get that third person, and when you're talking to someone new, that you let them know it's an existing case that should already be in their system (so you can be bumped up to the third person). Also, don't get your computer repaired by 3rd party Apple authorized repair people; though they're sometimes OK, they are quite variable, and I and people I know have had some truly bad experiences with them.

If you're out of warranty, well, then you're probable SOL. You can either pay for repairs out of pocket, or if whatever you're using is really all that important to you that you can't stand to have it break after the warranty expires, then you probably should have gotten the extended warranty (I always get the extended warranty for the laptop, because for a laptop, at some point within 3 years, it's going to break).
lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 09:40 PM   #8
Evan Young

my warranty paid itself off 3 times with my old powerbook... and some of the repairs that got fixed were my fault for dropping the computer.
Apple customer service in the US is pretty amazing, but I don't know how it is in other countries.
I do agree with Gav that smaller isn't always better.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 07-02-08, 10:37 PM   #9
blueberry_fox

Well it seems it must be fairly different to what you get over here. My boyfriend's iPods battery just up and died on him about 1/2 years after he brought it.

They took ages and ages to agree to fix it and then when he posted it of it took another 3+ months to come back and when it did the battery died again with in about another 1/2 year.

Any way as i said before,
Does any one have any suggestions of non iPod Mp3 players that are up to the job?
Old 07-03-08, 04:04 AM   #10
nick nickolas

My first ipod got sorted within a hour by replacment here in Melbourne a couple of years ago and my mac computer got sorted ie fixed within 24hrs...
maybe your boyfriend got a bad service person.
nick
Old 07-03-08, 08:33 PM   #11
blueberry_fox

Yup maybe he did.

Anyway, i would really like to compare with some other high end Mp3 players if any one has any suggestions?
Old 07-03-08, 10:31 PM   #12
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Seems like the overall answer is "go with the iPod".

I have the Classic and have been very happy with it for my shows. I've done fine using the standard iPod remote; it's not flawless, but it gets the job done.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 11:30 PM   #13
blueberry_fox

Yeah it does seem that way.

I'm having this problem wherever i ask though.

I like to really compare things and get good info about different options before i buy any thing but the problem is as soon as i ask anyone about mp3 players it turns in to a youhavetogetandipod, whatdoyouhaveagainstipods, discussion when really i just want to hear about what else is out there.

Thanks for your help though.
Old 09-29-11, 07:41 AM   #14
maninblack447

Default best mp3 player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Young View Post
All the affordable remotes are unreliable (in my opinion, there are others). There are recent threads covering this. http://www.performers.net/forums/showthread.php?/flash mp3 player script The problem you run into is that the remotes tend to get messed up by interference from other radio frequency devices, like your wireless mic.
ipod is by far the most dominant mp3 player on the market, and therefore has the strongest after market selection. The customer service issues with ipods are mostly related to the battery, and that issue has mostly ben resolved in the consumers favor (not on the ipod touch/iphone tho). Other than that I doubt you will find any company that can beat apple's customer service or product reliability. Prices are higher because they try to use better quality components. ipods have a very slim profit margin for apple because they are mostly intended as a big add campaign to get people to buy mac computers (it's working, market share is up to 14%, double two years ago)........ So that's my sales pitch for the ipod, as far as I'm concerned there are no other options.
anyway, good luck
No doubt that Ipod is good but not everybody can afford buying it and even having an opportunity to buy it I still consider that its price is too much overestimated and the gadget shouldn't cost that much. Especially when we're talking about portable model for everyday usage. It's screen is to big and doesn't fit to pocket moreover doing sports or anything of this kind of activities you can easily do harm to it. My alternative is iriver. All the functions you need and costs 75$, ideal choice I guess
maninblack447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 02:27 PM   #15
davidkaye

One super-cheap option might be to go to Big Lots or a similar store that sells overstock and buy an MP3 player there (often $30 or less) and then get one of those hands-free wireless adaptors for cell phones, the kind that takes the output from the cell phone and transmits on the FM band. I bought one for $20 at Big Lots. Then you'd need an FM radio which you can get at Walgreen's for $10 and pipe that into your audio system.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote