performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 04-26-06, 05:57 AM   #1
busterjuggler

Default The Joys of Street Performing

Street Performing, Isnt it amazing!

I started street performing 3 years ago and since then I have loved my life much more than ever before. With the help of JP, Dom, Duke Dreamer, Justin Sane, Daniel Oldaker, Shep Huntly, Joel Salom, Matt Wilson, and Scott Hone, Lucky Rich ( sorry if i missed anyone).

So whats so amazing about Street Performing? It is the fact that I attract the people, I make the people smile and also I inspire them, and I get money (but thats just a perk!)

Street performing has intrinsic value. You cant put a monetry value to it. What amazes me and makes me feel great is the fact that you attract the audience, they wouldnt stop unless they wanted to see you. I walk out onto the street, say a few opening lines, setup my gear and then I have a start of an audience. By the end I have finsished my ball juggling, I nearly have a full circle. And by the end of my show doing my bed of nails finale I have hundreds of people watching, comparing this to when I started is amazing! When I perform I feel the audience are part of me (that sounds kinda hippy but you prob follow). Its like they dont want to see the tricks, but really feel for me and just enjoy my personality.

I also love the way I inspire people, I make maybe 30 minutes of their day a time when they can forget the stresses of life, and laugh! Laughing heals everyone, This is why I love performing, I inspire people to also follow their dreams. Its GREAT!

I am sure some of you will just think I am a weirdo, but thats up to you. I love performing, and if it werent for the people I mentioned before I wouldnt be where I am today!

I cant express how great it is! I could go on for hours!

Cheers,

James BuSTAR
Master of Comedic Manipulation
www.JamesBuSTAR.com
info@jamesbustar.com
busterjuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 06:16 PM   #2
Daniel Craig

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Craig

What a great attitude.

One that I'm pleased to say I share in as much as possible. I had a beautiful, life re-affirming show in the sense that I just felt afterwards like "yes, this is what I'm supposed to be doing".

It was a show where the laughs are constant, unexpected, and every little facial notion and every little bit of wit are picked up and embraced by your audience. Where the build is long but worth it, and when the build becomes less of a challenge and more of a journey. Then the build blossoms and they are all there, as if pulled out of the woodwork by some sort of powerful magnet: You.

Yes you, are responsible for the gathering, the entertainment, the laughter, and the group experience. There is something so fulfilling about that, that I would say it is nigh impossible to duplicate. When you finish, wave goodbye, that last, resounding cheer echoes out, and the people flock to your hat but more importantly to look you in the eye and say "That was incredible."

What a great day. What a great job. We complain a lot as we are at the mercy of so much-- But when it works... It really works.
Daniel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 09:11 AM   #3
FireNix

Default Thank you

Thanks alot
Reading those thoughts, were insprational and give me some positivity to keep going and hopefully get to that point spmetime
Old 08-20-06, 02:19 AM   #4
harmonicakev

Default here here!

I have a hard time getting motivated to busk any more, money is down, and someone reportedly got arrested last month (Boston)....but every time I do I have so much fun! I really enjoy the interaction with complete strangers, the pleasure in entertaining people, when people laugh at my jokes....
the fun is not unique to the street, but the street certainly is unique.

Ciao - Kevin M.
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-06, 08:02 AM   #5
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin
Default Re: here here!

Quote:
Originally posted by harmonicakev
I have a hard time getting motivated to busk any more, money is down, and someone reportedly got arrested last month (Boston)....but every time I do I have so much fun! I really enjoy the interaction with complete strangers, the pleasure in entertaining people, when people laugh at my jokes....
the fun is not unique to the street, but the street certainly is unique.

Ciao - Kevin M.
Could be cause your shows are getting stale. REmember when you first started performing? It was all new and exciting right? Do some new material, better yourself, stop relying on the proven stuff. You'll feel alot better about the situation when you start pulling things out of your ass that look like gems rather than poooooo.

(happended to me when i first started busking : / )
Old 08-23-06, 03:25 AM   #6
harmonicakev

Default huh?

Hi young Jay,

this is the "Joy of Street-Performing" thread....there are other threads addressing problems that people might have with their show. I'm quite happy with the content of my show; it's the "roadie" work that I wish I could avoid...
Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

Ciao - Kevin M.
Old 08-28-06, 02:03 AM   #7
Isabella

Default Roadie work...hmmm

I've been hiring interns this year to do a lot of our show's roadie work. I'm working with the local college theatre department, and also with a special program for short-term work experience that actually pays some of the interns' travel and expenses!

If you're willing to genuinely teach someone about what you do (and also, this is easier if you are a duo or multi-person act so you don't get sick of being around your intern by yourself) it can be a really good experience for them as well as for you. My interns learn the basic skills, carry equipment, help with set-up and take-down, sell merchandise and run the cd player. They also do marketing/paperwork/maintenance jobs during the week. In return, I pay them a flat fee (no hat split, even though some of them start doing short show sections with the group), take care of their housing and transportation, and help them learn the skills they are most interested in getting. They also get to travel to cool places and learn about an aspect of theatre they otherwise wouldn't know. Some even get college credit!

And it's even a way to pass on the joy of street performing...awww...now that's reincorporation.

Allison Williams
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 03:20 AM   #8
Schuyler

Send a message via Skype™ to Schuyler

So I was in a gas station picking up snacks last night. I've been juggling for a couple months now, but only for fun, not as a performer. By this point I can almost do four balls, and I know some good tricks with three balls. I carry around my props in a bag whever I go, as well as three clubs which sort of stick out the top of the bag. Some people in the gas station realized that the clubs were for juggling and convinced me to juggle for them. It was nothing special, just a three club cascade, but I got a small group of people standing around watching and loving it.

Long story short, I've discovered that I enjoy juggling in public, and seeing as I made it to this site I think it's pretty clear what that's leading to.

~Schuyler
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 03:54 PM   #9
GlassHarper

Clown Ah, the joy

I, too, have obsessed about getting stale -- but a little positive reinforcement every once in a while reminds me that evolution is more fun than revolution.

A couple of days ago I had a tip that included a large group of middle-aged women. Anything I did, a raised eybrow, a half-veiled insult, elicited a laugh. Someone asked why the glasses ring as beautifully as they do. The end of my standard explanation is "...which the pysicist calls the 'stick-slip phenomenon.'" The lady who asked the question disolved in laughter. "Uh, Madam," I said, waiting for her to regain her breath, "that wasn't a joke, that was physics!"

In the ensuing pandemonium I reaped the best hat of the night.

Now all I've got to do is figure out how to get a reliable laugh every time I entone the phrase, "stick-slip phenomenon."
Old 01-29-07, 09:45 PM   #10
Mr Qwirk
... ___ ...

<1984>blah blah blah......

Im rewriting history</1984>

cheers.....

Last edited by Mr Qwirk; 02-11-07 at 02:03 AM.
Mr Qwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 11:06 PM   #11
FireNix

Heh Bro
Hope your Time in QT was a good (re) learning one. Shame I didnt get to see you again. Until next time
Peas

Last edited by FireNix; 02-05-07 at 05:18 PM.
FireNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-11, 10:27 AM   #12
harmonicakev

Default Fun Fun FUN!

Hi folks -
Busking on the "T" was exhilirating yesterday. I played music until I was exhausted.
Ciao - Kevin M., Somerville, Masachusetts
Old 10-24-11, 02:37 AM   #13
davidkaye

Glad to see that things have gotten better for you compared to your post in May 2004. I find that freshening my songs and changing costume a bit (different hats, a vest, whatever) can make a positive difference both in response and in tips.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote