performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 12-12-11, 01:13 PM   #1
ecce cello

Default Busking in L.A. for an european foreign... is it possible?

Hi there!

I play my electric cello in the streets, I've been in Madrid and Berlin happily.
Right now I will be during one month in L.A., and I'd really like to busk in the Metro or the street...
does anyone know if that is possible for a foreign with a touristic visa?
is there any risk that the police take my instrument away?!

thanks a lot.

david
ecce cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 06:15 AM   #2
davidkaye

I doubt you have to worry about the police taking your cello. As far as I know, having played in LA, most places are perfectly fine. If you go to the Venice boardwalk (Venice is a district of LA), though, there are some people who *claim* to have reserved spaces, etc. These guys are usually too much hassle to deal with, so I just move on.

In Santa Monica (a separate city from LA) they issue permits for street performing. The permit costs a few dollars (I forget, but it's probably like $15 or so), and is good through the end of the current year. You apply for the permit and return the next day to pick it up. It allows you to play in the high-traffic areas along the Promenade.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 06:59 AM   #3
ecce cello

Thanks a lot for your answer...
But i am A FOREIGN. so i won't be able to ask for a permit, and if police comes and they realize i am european, i am afraid they take it as some kind of "illegal" work.

If the only risk is they kick my ass out there then it's ok; sadly, i am used to this... but i wouldn't like to have any legal problem, or my instrument being taken.

Does anyone know what about a foreign busking in L.A?

is it possible to play in the Metro?

thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-11, 11:01 AM   #4
Peter
Unused member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecce cello View Post
But i am A FOREIGN. so i won't be able to ask for a permit, and if police comes and they realize i am european, i am afraid they take it as some kind of "illegal" work.

If the only risk is they kick my ass out there then it's ok; sadly, i am used to this... but i wouldn't like to have any legal problem, or my instrument being taken.

Does anyone know what about a foreign busking in L.A?

is it possible to play in the Metro?

thanks in advance!
Don't worry at all about it. The WORST the police will do is tell you to STOP! If they do say OK. you'll be fine. The cops don't give a crap about your visa.
Old 12-13-11, 07:15 PM   #5
ecce cello

That's great!
If anyone else has got any other useful info about a foreign busking in L.A., i would appreciate it.

By the way... is it possible to busk in the Metro?

Thanks
Old 12-14-11, 12:31 AM   #6
davidkaye

We Americans are intrigued by foreign accents and costumes, especially from Europe. I know a woman who plays klezmer music on accordion and dresses in old world costumes. She speaks with an accent that screams Brooklyn Jew by way of Israel. But she's actually from San Jose, just down the road from us in San Francisco. Of course, her music is amazing, but the costuming and the voice definitely have added to her tips.

Don't worry about being a foreigner here, especially in California. You shouldn't run into any trouble performing on the street.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
busk, busking, cello, foreign, los angeles