performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL AND PITCH ETHICS

Old 04-10-12, 11:04 AM   #21
Richard

Funny how a simple request for opinions and suggestions leads to "this festival is really lame".
Richard's done an amazing job with introducing a busker fest to the Midwest. Lawrence is a supportive town and so are the people. Who knows, someday they may just block off Mass St. and open up beer gardens for this fest. Until then....
Old 04-10-12, 03:38 PM   #22
Irina

I put this in parentices because that's what people might think, I am not judging it personally because I do not know anything about it...Having a beer garden at a festival is always a good idea, especially in colledge town. I do pay rent at festivals because I charge for my face-painting, and sidewalk artists usually have to pay to participate in festivals, though much less then merchandise vendors. But I never heard about a festival charging buskers who work for tips!
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 04:56 PM   #23
martin ewen

Funny how "this festival is really lame", a rhetorical quote, is taken out of context and mistakenly used as a defensive reactionary lynchpin.

The consensus seems to be that charging buskers to work will be difficult. There is very little precedent. The christchurch international festival for a time took a % of their group hats but dropped that. There is often group shows put on at festivals where the performers donate the income to either the festival or some other cause. I don't think this is a financial issue so much as a control issue. You have performers drawn to the outskirts of your controlled envirionment . They are presumably there because you have something they can benefit from or they are displaced by your event. If you provided them a stage under the condition they could volunteer to do a group show at some arranged time with the proceeds going towards your event as a gesture of goodwill in response for your providing the stage then that might appeal to their better natures. If there is no goodwill on their part then simply dispense with them as a viable element and let them play outside your area of control.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 05:37 PM   #24
Irina

Group show is a great idea!
Old 04-11-12, 09:52 AM   #25
Richard

Obviously my internets has parentheses blockers.
Old 04-14-12, 02:21 AM   #26
circusboy90210

Default festivals...

it seems that buskers work streets and festivals happen on streets. festivals should not have the right to say the busker is exempt from the right to make money off this huge group whilst providing free entertainment in what is a community experience and celebration. at very most for the orginizers might have the right through the fire department to control locations for crowd control purposes.
circusboy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 12:26 AM   #27
Irina

"OMG! This is so lame!" Classic teenage frase...I though you'll get the joke...Sorry, English is my second language!