performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 05-23-06, 08:06 AM   #1
miquee

Default performing in brussels

hello everyone,
I am highly considering moving to brussels in september/oct. and would like to know what the street performing scene is like there.
i have heard that you need to audition either live or with a video... is that true? are there any free pitches? where and when does one audition? anyone work there before? hats? police? amps, mics, fire? any info would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
mike
Old 05-24-06, 06:16 AM   #2
Chance

The main square is COMPLETELY off limits except to paying vendors. If you want to sell paintings made in Russia or Croatia, there's maybe room for you.

There are some shopping streets and other misc pitches to be found, but I rate them as some of the worst I have ever seen.

YMMV.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 08:27 AM   #3
miquee

thanks man...
ok so thats one negative take on brussels... anybody got anything positive to say about workin there- like, the hats are the biggest ever and naked women throw themselves on you after evry show...
chance did you work any of the other towns around brussels?
Old 05-24-06, 09:31 AM   #4
gav

a lot of folks work antwerp between gigs in the summer and they say it's pretty good
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 12:12 PM   #5
miquee

thats good to know thanks... what about the winter spring and fall?
Old 05-24-06, 01:04 PM   #6
Chance

Mike, if you're looking for another Paris or Turin, Brussels is NOT it!
Old 05-25-06, 04:26 PM   #7
miquee

well if i were looking for another turin or paris i'd go live in well... paris or turin... but as i'd like to live in brussels i'm doing some preliminary investigation as to the situation there and in the surrounding area...
and besides, i've done some great shows where others have told me was unworkable... and shit shows where people have said its great...
any specific info on pitches and permits and all that good stuff would be well appreciated...
i hope its not paris cuz paris in december is fuckin real hard...
thanks
Old 05-26-06, 12:05 PM   #8
Chance

Hey, no prob! Sure you can live there. Just don't plan on making many shows there, that's all.

Paris on it's worst day is better than Brussels -- but shit what do I know? Knock yourself out.

Hope for your sake she's worth it.
Old 05-27-06, 08:51 PM   #9
stickman

Canada

My experience there is dated, by years now. I wouldn't bother with it. Last time I there was part of the "Summer End Festival". The organizer was great, but the police were a complete pain. I had one good rogue show there, but wouldn't risk living there. So it seems I'm agreeing with Chance. NO amplification, and little chance of permits. If I'm wrong please feel free to tell me so.

Stickman
http://www.weeble.org
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 03:30 PM   #10
zoobie
www.BuskerAlley.com

When I performed in Brussels, you didn't need shit....but that was a long time ago when nobody was around.
Sounds like a bad place now. In fact, a lot of places now sound like that....very restricted.
Some busker friends hang in Antwerp but I heard they're starting to wait in lines now to perform. You can still check it out.
Best thing to do is find a pitch all your own...which takes time. This one guy had a whole small city in Germany to himself. Another found a mountain resort and was able to stay up there all summer performing to an almost captive audience.
Good Lucketh!
Old 04-26-12, 07:32 AM   #11
Harry

So this thread is over six years old now and I was wondering if anything's changed?
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-12, 02:31 PM   #12
Magic Brian

No, I don't think it has.
Old 05-03-12, 11:06 AM   #13
Harry

It really hasn't. If you've got a small act that's easy to set up, put away and carry, and you know where and how to avoid police you might do alright, but not brilliant. I saw a man working with a fire baton surrounded by people and hardly anyone gave him money. I'm heading to Antwerp tomorrow, I'll try my luck there.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 09:32 AM   #14
jeep caillouet

Zoobie, how ya been? Great I hope. Not use to seeing you on this site. Trying like heck to get to Aspen this summer, of course I'll stop in Boulder for a day or so. Hope to be there for the Boulder creek festival the last week of May. Then to the people's fair in Denver first week of June .then on to Aspen for the summer. I've been in Key West way to long. I just guessing I'll Ty balloons and or play music . Seems I heard you had to get a permit and insurance for large circle acts. Fill me in if you can. Hope to see you then. This will be my first time to travel sense '04. And I can't wait.