performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL AND PITCH ETHICS

Old 06-10-12, 03:23 AM   #1
MagicJay

Stop Street Performer Battle. Very Rude!!

This link is a Street Performer Battle !!
Was I ok to Yell and get angry like that. its not like i came into his show and start performing? I didnt curse or hit him or anyone for that matter. Watch the video and see for yout self. Search Street Performer Battle in youtube or google.

Link Below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39SzN141pQ [/url]
MagicJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 05:53 PM   #2
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Yeah, the guy is an asshole. Are you new to the pitch, are you on his "territory"?

He knows that he can make things hard for you and you'll probably back off, he sees you as a pussy ass white little honky. You have two options, the first option is the best option, get the cops to enforce for you. The second option, threaten him with violence. Honestly, he'll probably respect you more if a couple hired thugs walk up and calmly inform him of the consequences for his actions. The fear of a broken arm is a good motivator for a bucket drummer, and he'll see you as a man who can stick up for himself, but his respect isn't worth much.
I knew a breakdance duo on venice beach back in the day that hired people to enforce for them, and they were very very convincing without even being mean about it. Bouncers at night clubs learn how to be threatening in an empathetic way, it's kind of amazing.

Anyway, I'm not promoting the violence option.

He's a pretty good drummer, sucks he's an asshole.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:39 AM   #3
davidkaye

I've had similar things happen in the BART subway stations a couple times where acts thought they "owned" the pitch I was working. I have the BART police and the SFPD numbers on my cell phone. In both cases when confronted I suggested that they must be mistaken, and I calmly offered to make a phone call to the police and get them out to decide whose pitch it was. In both cases the dudes backed off.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 10:21 PM   #4
Juggalicious

Send a message via AIM to Juggalicious

oh this guy is a total jerk - I've had this happen to me - one time I strangled the guy - the other time I cried until the cops came.

The first method had quicker results.

I have new juggling clubs.
Juggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 03:24 PM   #5
jeep caillouet

huuum, I wonder where Dallis is on this one. He's the man that runs the show on pier 60 for the performers. I don't think he would allow the drummer to do that.
Old 07-09-12, 03:50 PM   #6
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Send a message via MSN to Dallas
Default Busker Battle

Where do I start with this one...

There has been a rift between these two for quite sometime. It mainly started when a tourist left a bag unattended on our playground and Magic Jay told the Bucket drummer's kid to go grab it. The kid thinking it was Jay's bag grabbed it only to find out Jay was stealing someone else's property.
Bucket drummers son felt horrible about what happened and told his parents what happened.
Hence the rift.
They have fought at other events besides here.
I was told the magician had walked into the middle of bucket mans crowd also and even spit at him.
There is a whole lot more to this story.....
Old 07-09-12, 04:14 PM   #7
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default And....

Oh, and in this video, the drummer is playing in our festival and the magician (who has been banned for unprofessionalism ) is performing outside our boundry.
This happened on Beachwalk.
Old 07-09-12, 04:27 PM   #8
jeep caillouet

Then it seems fair to say the the drummer was right and the magician was wrong on this one.
Old 07-10-12, 01:38 AM   #9
Storm Surge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep caillouet View Post
Then it seems fair to say the the drummer was right and the magician was wrong on this one.
In my experience they are both morons.
Storm Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 03:19 PM   #10
Kate Awesome

Even though this topic took a sharp turn with Dallas' provided information, I still feel compelled to respond to this post because I've recently become engaged in a "pitch war" with a local walk-by who's trying to make my life hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaye View Post
I've had similar things happen in the BART subway stations a couple times where acts thought they "owned" the pitch I was working. I have the BART police and the SFPD numbers on my cell phone. In both cases when confronted I suggested that they must be mistaken, and I calmly offered to make a phone call to the police and get them out to decide whose pitch it was. In both cases the dudes backed off.

I did the same thing when the dude insulted me (knowing full well who I am) by accusing me of not having a permit. I have our local Bylaw officer on my speedial and offered to call him.

When I asked the dude if he was as big of a prick to the chalk artist who occasionally uses the pitch, he said no, because they have different acts.

"Oh," I said. "So, you think it's okay to treat me like shit because I 'compete' with you for money. Alright, just so that we're both aware that you're intimidated is all the info I need."

Thus far, he's backed off any attempt at getting uppity with me, and retreats to his corner, but, I have a feeling his malice is going to escalate. He doesn't strike me as a mentally balanced individual...
Old 07-12-12, 03:59 AM   #11
Peter
Unused member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Awesome View Post
...Thus far, he's backed off any attempt at getting uppity with me, and retreats to his corner, but, I have a feeling his malice is going to escalate. He doesn't strike me as a mentally balanced individual...
Kate, that's the ones you should be REALLY scared of. Most of us are reasonable in our actions, even the assholes that want toi get into a pitch argument. They lose and well, "there's tomorrow."

But a person that is one slice of bread short of a full loaf just forgets "reasonable" when he get mad. That's when the knives & guns come out. Head cases should always repeat ALWAYS be considered dangerous, even as the police phrase it "armed & dangerous."

Remember there is a time to stand and fight for your rights, ther is also a time to haul your butt out and just watch the fireworks
Old 07-12-12, 12:48 PM   #12
davidkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Awesome View Post
"Oh," I said. "So, you think it's okay to treat me like shit because I 'compete' with you for money. Alright, just so that we're both aware that you're intimidated is all the info I need."

Thus far, he's backed off any attempt at getting uppity with me, and retreats to his corner, but, I have a feeling his malice is going to escalate. He doesn't strike me as a mentally balanced individual...

I think the first paragraph I'm quoting above explains the second paragraph. For myself, I never speak in a hostile voice when someone has tried to take my pitch. I just tell them, "You must be mistaken" and then offer to phone the police to straighten things out. I NEVER insult them because insults bring out the "get even" instinct in people, especially men.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 06:13 PM   #13
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default Threat....

After posting several comments on YouTube about the video (which he removed), the kid actually had the kahonas to threaten me.
I will deal with that when I get home...
Old 07-16-12, 11:19 AM   #14
elbonko
Casual Observer

Default Magic Jackass

hahaha! and now the video is "private."

Storm Surge, nice.

www.AaronBonk.com
elbonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-12, 12:32 PM   #15
jeep caillouet

When you send him packing . Don't send him to Key West !
Old 07-16-12, 09:30 PM   #16
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default Magic Jackass, I like that!

Jeep, I wouldn't do that or wish him on ANY pitch.
Old 07-16-12, 09:32 PM   #17
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default Ps....

Had the kid walked into the middle of my circle and spat at me, the audience would have seen a whole different show!!!
Old 07-24-12, 10:20 AM   #18
Kate Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaye View Post
I think the first paragraph I'm quoting above explains the second paragraph. For myself, I never speak in a hostile voice when someone has tried to take my pitch. I just tell them, "You must be mistaken" and then offer to phone the police to straighten things out. I NEVER insult them because insults bring out the "get even" instinct in people, especially men.

I should qualify; this was after my initial attempts at being cool, calm and positive. I can only handle someone breaking up my crowd to bitch me out so many times..

At first, I whipped out my phone to call Bylaw (I am on a first-name basis with the head bylaw dude in Toronto) to straighten it out, but, the guy kept persisting and ruined my day.

Tags
2012, battle, june, performer, street