performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL FORUM INFORMATION > WHO'S WHO?

Old 11-14-10, 10:33 AM   #1
harmonicakev

Default Sing-along with Kevin M.

Hi fellow buskers! Ok, I haven't actually busked since, well, I'm not sure, maybe 2007? I still use the many lessons that I learned as a busker in my children's music show/program.
I tried posting this before, and then my computer crashed, so today, just a little about the beginning.
I started busking in December of 1978 in various downtown Boston subway stations under the "Music Under Boston" program. Yes, the government actually encouraged us to perform!
After some success in the subway, I thought, gee, I'll really make a killing in Harvard Square; this must have been March or April of '79. My first day in the Square, I couldn't get a single person to stop, and I made $2.
My lack of solo success led me to join/form countless combos, both impromptu and rehearsed. I just ran into someone last week who said, "I remember you, you were in Faneuil Hall and Oates." Fans are nice.
Eventually I formed a group called "Hoot Spa" with Mark Tinder of "Slaphappy" and Bob Comtois of "Strings Attached." and of course herocaine Dennis on bass. We got big enough crowds that it made sense to "bottle " the crowd, and we went on to do clubs, parties, colleges, high schools, coffeehouses and lots of busking.

Ciao for now - Kevin M

Last edited by harmonicakev; 03-27-11 at 09:17 AM.
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 10:45 AM   #2
harmonicakev

Default Hurray!

Got my subway permit and did some busking Friday at the Downtown Crossing T station with Ilana the fiddler, myself on mandolin/ukulele and harmonica. Good acoustics, decent crowds, lots of fun. Of course I make literally double the money giving lessons, but 1) the "lesson" business has been slow for a while now and 2) I really enjoy the audience interaction.
Old 03-27-11, 09:17 AM   #3
harmonicakev

I realize that I pretty much skipped from 1980 to the present, but who cares? The 80's rocked, so did the 90's, and then after 9/11, not so much.
NOW? It's fun to be busking again, and fortunate that I don't need to depend on the income.
Got asked for my permit for the first time this year yesterday....the T guy didn't want to look at it, just wanted me to be displaying it.
Old 08-20-12, 11:28 PM   #4
harmonicakev

Default 2012

Still subway busking, and at the new Kendall Square busker series with Ilana the fiddler...once in a while with Jerry McNamara the accordion player...they are both wonderful musicians, and I feel blessed to be able to jam with them.

Some photos, etc...www.singalongwithkevinm.com

Ciao - Kev

Last edited by harmonicakev; 08-21-12 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-21-12, 02:42 PM   #5
roughtoughcreampuf
Aggressively Unfancy

Send a message via AIM to roughtoughcreampuf Send a message via Skype™ to roughtoughcreampuf

Oh my..I have seen you before. Hahahaha. It was nice. Good work!
Old 09-21-12, 09:28 PM   #6
harmonicakev

Default Jamming at Park Street

Played at Park Street station on the green line in the Boston (MBTA) subway with Ilana the fiddler..we do mostly old time music.. Her brother came by, and mentioned something worth repeating. I can't remember his exact words, but he made mention to a friend about the moments of joy on peoples faces as they realized what was going on, i.e us generating some good tunes in the subway. I think this is one of the big reasons that we do it. Otherwise, as someone once said, we could just make music in our living room. Of course there is a love of the music, and a small amount of cash too.

Here is a youtube link to one of my current favorite tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIC7...are_video_user

The tune is played often at old time music jams...I read somehwre that it originated in the Cape Breton Islands.
The pig's foot referred to is a blacksmith's tool.
Old 12-04-14, 09:53 PM   #7
harmonicakev

Default Thanksgiving 2014

Still busking in the subway. Occassionally I get goose bumps from having so much fun. kev