performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 09-03-05, 06:00 PM   #1
kSea

Default Busking in Austin

I may be about to head to Austin to help with a Katrina refugee camp - does anyone have experience with busking there? Good places, (lots of tourists, by a college, etc.) if permits are required, absolutely any information will be very helpful.

I spit fire and stilt walk, but usually am a Living Statue for busking as it seems to be the best for making money.

Thanks so much in advance for any info!

~ Casey
kSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 09:09 PM   #2
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Head to "the Drag". I don't think there is a permit, and I know that busking will not be a big money maker there, but a statue might do okay....

BTW, I think you know my friends Milk (JT) and Jamie at Silent Ghost Cinema in my home town of Columbia MO. They are like older siblings to me.

Good luck--EvAN

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 09:13 PM   #3
kSea

Thanks Evan! I'll check it out

Nope, don't know those people I'm afraid. I'm from SanFrancisco - never been to MO - yet.
Old 09-03-05, 10:13 PM   #4
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Oh, I was thrown off by yer homepage, but I just noticed that yer profile says you are their performance coordinator, not in the band.

Here is the email Movin Melvin sent to me when I wrote him to ask him about Austin before my visit this summer.

I am sorry to say that Austin dosen;t have much of a street scene for performers, but they do have a lot of festivals and usually if you can find space they will let you be, also on the weekends they close off parts of 6th street and it is possible sometimes (depending on how they feel) outside of this it is posible to perform on the drag (guadalupe) near the campus i this area they usually don't bother you, god luck
Movin Melvin

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 04:17 PM   #5
Mr.Taxi Trix

6th street was fairly good very very late on weekend nights, in '85. I couldn't quite get a show off the ground, but I found the bar foot traffic more than generous in response to fire juggling.

Having said that; never, never disobey a police officer in Austin. (Or anywhere in Texas, I imagine.) I did torches after being told not to (forgive me, I was 20) and spent some unwelcome time in the local lockup as a result.

I used to end this quip with "I think the warrent is still out for me", but at this point, I doubt it.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 10:20 AM   #6
kSea

Default Thanks!

Just showe up on Austin's doorstep yesterday.

Well, I guess I should say *in* Austin's doorstep. I'll let you know how the bosking goes, but I believe my performance will be more of a statue that pours sweat than anything else. DAMN, it'shot here!

On a side note, I came here from Boulder, which absolutely rocked for busking. A beautiful place, and some astounding performers!