performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 07-06-04, 11:17 AM   #1
Irina

Embarrassed Looking for attorney in Chicago to sue the Taste - ASAP

Does anybody on the list knows a civil rights attorney in Chicago, willing to work on % basis or pro bono? If you do - please call me 504-4733581 ASAP, I am still in Chicago till Wednesday night. Basicly what happened - my team not only got kicked out of the Taste on a complaint of a 10-year old kid, they revoked our Chicago street performers permits ant tried to 'shake us down" for all the money under the treat to put us in jail etc...When we refuse to give the boss-woman our money, Sasha was handcuffed and we were kept in the police tent for about 40 minutes...eventually the cops gave us 'illigal vending without a permit ' tickets and let us go, but I don't think that director of the cultural programs of the special events department or security personel has any legal right to demand a street performer to give them the cash. We all know that rules at the Taste are rediculous and abusive to street performers - so if you have a problem with them too - lets try to do something about it.
Irina, face-painter
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-04, 12:05 PM   #2
Irina

Default Moving this issue into festival descussions

I am leaving Chicago today - so there's no more rush, and I am posting this issue into 'festival descussions" -it would be more appropriate place for it.
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-04, 10:55 PM   #3
Peter
Unused member

Default Re: Looking for attorney in Chicago to sue the Taste - ASAP

Quote:
Originally posted by Irina
... Basicly what happened - my team not only got kicked out of the Taste on a complaint of a 10-year old kid, they revoked our Chicago street performers permits ant tried to 'shake us down" for all the money under the treat to put us in jail etc...When we refuse to give the boss-woman our money, Sasha was handcuffed and we were kept in the police tent for about 40 minutes...eventually the cops gave us 'illigal vending without a permit ' tickets and let us go, ...
Irina, face-painter
Irina, you don't say a thing about what happened except that a 10 year old filed a complaint. About what? Did they say you were were trying to molest the child? Did they say you tried to rob the little kid? What was the complaint? Maybe you deserved to be put in jail and post bond for all we know. If the complaint was silly like you spoke russian and the kid didn't understand so you should be arrested, then yes you should get help and sue the bastards, but if it was a thing that could have been a serious affair, then you're in it by yourself.

Peter
Old 08-06-05, 11:33 PM   #4
circusboy90210

I told you they were coming for you ....anyway's kinsey say's he missed you this time around.. so do I that's pretty tough luck though.... they started letting people share spaces now though angel
circusboy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 10:52 AM   #5
le pire

Handcuffing without reason is grounds for a lawsuit. It is reservered for restraint (in extreme cases) and arrestations. The Unicycle Lady has an interesting story about all this. She promised me years ago that she would post it, but never did.

etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 11:27 AM   #6
circusboy90210

Default what needs to happen

what needs to happen is all the street peddlers & performers need to forget any differences and make a class action lawsuit. Not only is the city abridging #1 ammendment freedom of speech, this is also a free market economy , anyone is supposed to be able to sell anything to anyone anywhere.
If homeless can win $79 million & more , what about productive people like our selves who actually help grease the wheels of society , & provide valuable input to the system in the form of satire,, or out and out just putting the truth out there for people , not to mention the fact that we are a valuable economic indicator. Angel
circusboy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote