performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL AND PITCH ETHICS

Old 11-04-06, 03:35 AM   #61
Peter Voice

Sorry Jeep, that doesn't work for me, I thunk about it.
Hundreds of people went home to bed, adults and children, seriously disturbed with their night ruined. Some-one may have had a heart attack diving to look for him or really been swept away and drowned. Did anybody else die in Key West whilst the emergency services were support act for Mike's show?

Many people will remember Michael's show, don't worry, but few found it entertaining and I doubt if any-one will thank him for it.

He might be a friend but why are you apologising for or at the very least trying to justify his act.

It's not up to you.
As I said before, it's his show.

WE (as you typed) do enjoy free speech but this is about sheer stupidity not free speech.

Last edited by Peter Voice; 11-04-06 at 03:43 AM.
Peter Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 05:12 AM   #62
Seadawg

Jeep, your proximity to South america must make the access to really good drugs readily available.

Freedom of speech? You have got to be kidding...
And my points still stand about the use of valuable search and rescue assets wasted because of a really "dumbass" prank.

My freedom of expression should not require the use of dedicated civil assets to try and rescue my sorry ass. If it was such a good prank, re-appear in 5 minutes. No need for helicopters, divers, fire and police assets... Live Audience gets same effect...

Face it, he really Pooched the pup on this one and should have to pay the piper for the poorly planned and premediatated attempt at publicity.
Old 11-04-06, 07:05 AM   #63
Peter Voice

"The secret to a happy life is good timing (and accessories)"
Shelley Switzer.
Old 11-04-06, 08:33 AM   #64
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus
Default But or Butt

I knew this kind of lame a&& excuse would come up.
But after a close reading of Jeeps posting, taking great care to note the grammatical errors and repetition contained within, I just don't see that a rational conversation on this subject is worth attempting.

"an honorable and decent human being"

Last edited by jesus; 11-04-06 at 10:12 AM.
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 09:50 AM   #65
Jim
Your Host

Yeah, Jeep... not so much. I'll admit that this was not quite yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, but the result was the same. He wound up putting peoples' lives in danger, wasted a lot of taxpayer money and tied up valueable search and rescue resources. Not to mention traumatizing the children in his audience who witnessed the act. The whole thing is indefensible.

I doubt the police and coast guard appreciate getting "duped."

Maybe Michael can use his "magician's secrets" to get himself out of jail and court.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 11:05 AM   #66
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Jeep, it seems to me that the question is, "Was anyone entertained by this stunt?"

As far as I can tell, the answer is, "No".

So, where is the "performance" you talk about? What is the joke?

Seems to me there was only selfishness and ego-stroking.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 04:53 PM   #67
jeep caillouet

Default entertained ?

It is my opinion that he entertained more than you can imagine.
Old 11-04-06, 05:05 PM   #68
jeep caillouet

Default suspended

Michael was suspended today indefinately,boards decision.
Old 11-05-06, 12:09 AM   #69
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Default Re: entertained ?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeep caillouet
It is my opinion that he entertained more than you can imagine.
Who?

Swami Yomahmi
Old 11-05-06, 12:45 AM   #70
Peter Voice

Jeep's opinion suggests at least one.

Sort of says more about Jeep's judgement than Mike's.
Old 11-05-06, 06:30 PM   #71
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin

I am entertained.
Old 11-05-06, 06:31 PM   #72
jayrodin

Before anyone responds to that just let me say this-

***EDIT*******************

SUCK IT!

Last edited by jayrodin; 11-06-06 at 12:42 AM.
jayrodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 06:46 PM   #73
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Before I F**CK OFF, would you please explain to us exactly what you find entertaining about it?

Swami Yomahmi
Old 11-05-06, 07:12 PM   #74
Seadawg

Jayrodin, your naivety is showing....

I have been told by many better than you for a lot better reasons and I choose not to take a sexual walk.

You on the other hand need to grow up and learn about life and the rest of the universe. You think that crap is entertaining? Why don't you go bail him out so you guys can plan a mutual dumbass stunt that may get you a darwin award....
Old 11-06-06, 12:42 AM   #75
jayrodin

Why did the news have such a field day with this? Hmm lets think about it. People read and watch stories they find entertaining in some way. From what I’ve read this one got A LOT of coverage. It must have been VERY entertaining. To say no one was entertained- you are fools, all of you.

I’m editing the “f off” out of those previous posts. It was out of line. I’m sorry. I’ll put something a little more appropriate in it’s place.
Old 11-06-06, 01:14 AM   #76
Peter Voice

At whose expense?

Were the onlookers paid, willing participants in this show. The search and rescue "Support Act" are certainly trying to extract their fee.

By your logic George the Shrub should have won both best director and best producer Oscars this year for his production of "Iraq (II)" and is a certainty for his sequel.
Old 11-06-06, 01:54 AM   #77
jayrodin

You can try to argue it but I feel my point has already been proven.

There is no denying the news buisness is also the entertainment buisness. This particular story had all the elements of a block buster movie.

Yes- Lots of people have found this entertaining. I am one of them.

I do not condone what the guy did but I think it's one heck of a story.
Old 11-06-06, 02:42 AM   #78
FreeCells

Just wanted to make a note on the "at who's expense" remark... seems like people want to think the tax payers are ultimately paying for this... I think not... who didn't read that Micheal is being fined for all the costs?... he's paying a pretty penny for this stunt. NOT the taxpayers. Not only is he being fined for this dumb stunt, but he also lost his job at Mallory Square forever.... yep, I think he is the one paying for it.
If we be rude to those who are rude to us it just costs us money. Others will see our rudeness and not come back, nor will they bring others to our show the next year. If we are rude all year we are setting ourself up for a slow next year and a slower following year. If we are rude to one person, 10 others will feel the effect. Plan for a better future. If you went to see someones show and the performer dogged you hard would you ever come back to the show? Would you bring your family or friends to see it next year? If you are nice to those who are rude to you it will burn them up more than if you jumped into their game with them, and others who see it will tip more... I would

Last edited by FreeCells; 11-06-06 at 03:08 AM.
FreeCells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 05:19 AM   #79
Lee Nelson

im not sure i am angry. Alot of the anger is the same self righteous anger a religious zealot feels. He shouldnt have done because this might have happened or that might have happened. But noone did get hurt!!
How many people here use volonteers in their shows?? In fifteen years of using volonteers it shames me to say it but I have said sorry a couple of times when things have gone a bit wrong but I have done the stunt again albeit a bit more aware of what can go wrong. The ends justifies the means or the good of the whole outweighs the good of the one. Normally of course the one is me but sometimes not by my design the injured party is an innocent, yet I go to work the next day.
So in essence I agree with Jay Rodin, it was entertainment. Noone did get hurt. A good show I feel. people are talking, entertainment was made.
It could have gone horribly wrong but it didnt. I am sure if he was to perform this stunt again he would speak to his fellow performers and tell them what was planned so as not to put lifes at risk but was M.Patrick really to know or should he be held accountable for the actions or risk to the bodies of the people that dove in. I dont think so. The rescue resources, thats another thing, and by all accounts he is paying for their services. Just like if I put a show on in a theatre i would pay for technicians. An investment.
The ruining of Halloween for thousands of children, are you insane. What a great story. It made halloween for these people I feel. Maybe not today but definately it will make future halloweens a wee bit tame for the folks that witnessed it.
Now this is going to cost this fellow alot of cash and his job and to a degree his reputation at the moment, but i dont know the plan. This happened in America and because it is entertainment whether people will admit to themselves or not, that makes M.Patrick a valuable commodity. Books, movies, advertisements. Notoriety is not the nicest fame but it can still work well in your favour, and I have to give credit to a guy that is prepared to take a risk no matter how well badly thought out it was.
Of course if someone had gotten hurt it would have been a different story.

So.....M.Patricks fame attempt cost....

his job in junky infested Key West
absolutely no bodily harm to anyone
the respect of some people that he hasnt met before and doesnt know
and a chunk of change

am i going to help him pay that money...NO. But I hope he is looking at it as an investment in his show. You can buy that sort of publicity. It cost $50000.
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 08:57 AM   #80
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus
Stop Some Quotes

Let’s take these point by point.

“Why did the news have such a field day with this?” – Jord

That is some serious hyperbole. Field day?
Yes both Reuters and AP picked this story up, but it never earned more than about 6 small paragraphs and one of those was about Houdini.
A Google News search this morning, November 6th, under escape artist turned up a number of results however they where dated November 2nd or 3rd.
The same was also true for a search under Michael’s name.
Further these results where all pulled from the same AP & Reuters pieces.
So that's three days of minor coverage in this "Field Day".
Let me also point out that the articles being run on the third were virtually identical to the articles being run on the second, no longer and no more in depth.
Even Keynews.com, the website for the Keys local paper only carried a story that dates November 3rd under the sites “more news” heading.
I would have to conclude that this is hardly a media firestorm.

“This particular story had all the elements of a block buster movie.”- Jord

Can you please take a moment to explain that statement to me?
What part of this would make a movie? There is no conflict, no resolution.
This is an anecdote not a great story.
Dollars to doughnuts, we are the only people still talking about it and that’s just because we’re bored.

“that makes M.Patrick a valuable commodity. Books, movies, advertisements.”- Lee

Even when this story was “hot” it was still listed under a story about an escape artist in Winnipeg escaping from cement to honor Houdini’s death on Google news.
Again no one but us is talking about this.
Lets be optimistic and say Leno or Letterman find this story amusing, how many people do we all know that have done those shows? And other than a chance to say “Hi Mom” on national TV or chat up Natalie Portman, what has it gotten the majority of these people?
Is that 5 minutes on TV worth 25,000 to someone that probably doesn't have a real big advertising budget?
As for a book, it wouldn’t be very long, would it?
Advertisements? For what? If he isn’t getting big news coverage that means no one knows his name which means no one cares. And that makes his name worth nothing in advertising.

He made a questionable decision without thinking it all the way through and now he is paying the price.
We all hold your own opinions about his “hellofva escape” but the fact is the story is over outside of this site.
Yes there will be some small follow up in the local paper when he goes to court and maybe AP or Reuters will pick that up to, but I wouldn’t look to the NY Times to run an above the fold story or lengthy op/ed about Michael Anthony Patrick.

“carry on carry on folks, nothing to see here”- FreeCells

"an honorable and decent human being"

Last edited by jesus; 11-06-06 at 09:46 AM.
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote