performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GIG OPPORTUNITIES - POST GIGS HERE! > GIGS - CORPORATE

Old 06-04-10, 10:26 AM   #1
omnigut

Send a message via Skype™ to omnigut
USA Possible new venue near Times Square, NYC

Hey y'all,
I've been contacted by a real estate company looking to make this small park on 48th Street (a block from Times Square) a place for street musicians. They want me to put up a program for them, probably something a few hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week. I've not run a program before, and am interested in learning as much as possible so that I don't mess anyone around. I'd love to hear your suggestions, and if you're interested in performing there, email me at undercoverny@gmail.com.

E.g., I'm thinking about placing donation boxes around so people don't have to get up or fight through a crowd to slip a dollar in for the musicians. Thoughts?

Thanks, and lets hope this thing turns out well,

Nick
omnigut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 04:48 AM   #2
Isabella

For me as a donor, I want the personal connection of giving to a particular musician whom I like and feel good about, not necessarily everyone in the park.

For me as an act - how are you going to split the money? Kind of takes away the incentive to connect with the audience if the 5 isn't going to you personally.

Sounds like a great idea to set up the program, though, keep us posted!
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 06:20 PM   #3
omnigut

@ Isabella, thanks for the advice. You're right; giving money to a bunch wouldn't be very motivating.

However, I went down there on Monday, and it seems like the lunch hour is the best time, perhaps a two hour slot. So if we only run it for two hours a day, it looks like there might only be time for one performer a day, which would mean that all the donations put in the boxes each day would go to the musician(s) playing.

Will keep you posted. Thanks again!
Old 07-29-10, 01:42 AM   #4
omnigut

Freakin' FANTASTIC!
I've got the go-ahead. As of today, I'm looking for talent to play in the park. It's a paid gig (you get $50 plus whatever tips you make), but there are only 12 spots; the real estate company that owns the park is trying it out first.

If you want to see more, go here (takes you to my website page about it):

http://tiny.cc/k8esd
Old 08-02-10, 02:04 PM   #5
FireNix

Default Only muso's or circle shows aswell?

Hi there

Just want to confirm whether this is only for Muso's or for Circle shows, magic etc...?
Good luck to all those that undertake and I do hope this grows and grows
Well done and respect for your efforts in opening up another pitch - lets face it its kinda sad that NYC has been so locked down.
If this is dealt with professionally and is a success it could hopefuly lead to good things - so well done
Old 08-05-10, 09:06 AM   #6
WayneMagic

Default Musicians,...or?

Is there a chance that it could be open to other Busking type shows? A more diverse performers pool may be more beneficial.
WayneMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 08:39 AM   #7
omnigut

@FireNix and WayneMagic, I'm sorry guys, but it's just for "musos". The company is starting off small and careful, but, of course, if it's a success they might get comfortable with other performers.

I agree that diversity should be a goal, and I've had requests from great artists who do other things beside music. So, if all goes well I'll see about whether we can relax the rules a little. I'm banking on the audience growing as we start to publicize the venue at local businesses.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 12-18-10, 11:48 AM   #8
omnigut

In case anyone's interested, the Street Performer Program did go ahead as expected, and you can see all the results here. What do you think?

Tags
new york, street musicians, street performers, times square