performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 04-22-03, 12:48 PM   #1
Richard

Post Ever Been An MC?

I recently got a gig MCing for the local pro basketball team. It's a great gig but it is my first time MCing at an event like this. The crowds are usually about 3,000 fans. The first night I was flying blind. Had no idea how the time out games worked, the concept of 90 seconds (how much time that really is), basically had no idea what I was doing but got through the night just fine. The second night was a lot better. They even let me juggle fire on the court. I just made sure not to drop any.

The PA sucks! People on one side can't understand me and people on the other side are blasted out.

Does anybody here have experience doing a gig like this and do you have any suggestions on how to make it better? How do you get yourself pumped up before you go on? It's easy for my regular show when I know what I'm going to do but this is still so new that I have to work extra hard to sound excited and look like I know what I'm doing. Any great jokes or audience gags would be appreciated although only one side of the arena would hear it.

As it is right now I get whatever time before the game to show off, then I get the first full 90 second time out to show off. The rest of the game I'm announcing the time out games and promotions and going out when the cheerleaders do their thing.

[ 06-10-2003: Message edited by: Richard ]</p>
Old 06-10-03, 04:05 PM   #2
Richard

Nevermind. The seasons about over and most everythings gone great. I've managed to not offend 90% of the crowd. The Laker Girls came and did their thing last night. Thank god for my all access pass!