performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GIG OPPORTUNITIES - POST GIGS HERE! > GIGS - OTHER

Old 09-21-07, 07:11 PM   #1
jugglery

Default New York City Opera

I am in the production of Pagliacci. The director has asked me to place this audition notice.

They pay for rehearsals.

The New York City Opera Co. is looking for male performers as well as male and female circus performers for an open call for the show Cendrillon. The audition will be held on Tues. 9/25. The men may come at either 10:00am or 10:45am, the women are called at 10:00am only. The call for all circus performers is 11:15am. People should report to the New York State Theater stage door on the corner of 62nd and Columbus at Lincoln Center.

The specific circus skills being looked for are: Contortion, Plate Spinning, and Juggling but other circus skills are welcome.

The show will be rehearsal heavy so flexible schedules are a must.
jugglery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 11:11 PM   #2
jugglery

Default NYC Opera - addendum

To clarify:

Cendrillon is the Cinderella story. Sung in French. You would not have to sing. They have opera people to do that!

What they don't have is circus types.

First performance is Oct 27. Last is Nov 18th.

Check nycopera.com for more information and for a schedule of performances.

Steve
Old 09-26-07, 10:19 AM   #3
Mr.Taxi Trix

Jugglery,

We showed up en masse, juggling our little hearts out, only to be told that men were the wrong gender for this audition. Where do I send my invoice for time and gas wasted?

Please thank your director for me, from the heart of my bottom.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 07:35 PM   #4
jugglery

Default Sorry about that!

Well, I showed up too. I, too, was the wrong gender.

It turns out that the director (whom I don't know) changed his mind early in the morning and would only see female circus performers.

I was dealing with a different director who gave me the notice to pass along. Even the night before, I was encouraged by the staff to audition.

So, I was terribly dissappointed. Fortunately for me, I didn't have far to go. Others weren't so lucky.

To conclude: I am terribly sorry that the director (from France) changed his mind at the last minute. The guy in charge of calling the audition apologized profusely to me. Allow me to pass that along.

Steve
Old 09-27-07, 10:27 AM   #5
Mr.Taxi Trix

Fair enough, Jugglery, and know that I'm ticked at the staff and director, not you. You were just passing info along, generously enough.

I know one guy there was even told to bring along his rolling globe. Also, some of those chicks had moves I will NEVER master, so it might be just as well.

See you at some other one,

KS
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 06:28 PM   #6
MIKA

Talking La Opera Cendrillon or "Cinderella"

The roles of the 5 "PRINCESSES" were unfortunately female. Yes, but if the director had not found 3 female contorsionists and a juggler he might have put you into drag. He was glad he did not have to use any of the male jugglers for this role.

A couple of the jugglers, who also have a comdy acting background he asked if they wanted to be Mr. clean. The requirement was to be 6.' foot. Mr. Clean are funny characters kind of clown/physical comedy they clean they pretend to be the orchestra, etc.
All the jugglers who took this role said that the role is "fun", and they prefer to be Mr. Clean- than to be a drag princess doing a pageant scene with a housewife contest, for which he casted the female juggler and the contorsionists. Mr Clean team prefer the role as it involves comedy and acting.

The opera Pagliaci "Cavalleria Rusticana" casted one male juggler just a week earlier. He juggles rings.

At the icecream table i juggle 5 balls, at the baby table scene i juggle a diabolo with a baby head and feet, then i change to two and three normal diabolos, then i spin two plates at the diswahsing table, one of 'em i balance on my chin, then i do flair with 1-3 bottles includes juggling at the Coktail Bar table, and then i swing shirts at the ironing table
Old 10-14-07, 09:34 PM   #7
jugglery

Default NYC Opera

Glad you got the gig. It sounds like fun.

Just to put in my two cents: I am in Pagliacci as a sub for the juggler/fire breather. This involves breathing fire and juggling clubs in the opening scene. Later, in the second act we do devil stick.

There are two dancers who juggle. One does rings and the other juggles 3 balls.

Aerialist Bronwyn Simms does a fine job on the trapeze in the second act.

Have fun with Cendrillon. I hope to be able to catch a rehearsal!

Steve Russell
Old 10-15-07, 09:22 PM   #8
le pire

oops

Last edited by le pire; 10-16-07 at 02:21 AM.
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 02:28 PM   #9
thayr

Send a message via AIM to thayr
Default LA Opera

There was recently an audition here in Los Angeles for the LA Opera. The who's who of LA entertainers and circus folk showed up.

I saw many people turned away for not confirming their attendance, they asked that you confirm by either phone/email.

They had called for dancers, circus performers, aerial performers, etc... The director had everyone (100 - 200 people) take part in improv movement exercises.

I hadn't really been brushing up on my abstract improv movement so I didn't get a part, shucks.
thayr is offline   Reply With Quote