performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 05-03-05, 11:31 PM   #21
le pire

I'll be in Montreal on Thursday & I'm performing at the Comedy Nest (Rue de Ste Catherine) on Friday. It would be cool to hook up.

Also, if you're in Boston, let me know.

Etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 10:14 AM   #22
UCO

Etienne: My address is 386 rue le moyne in the old port just off of mcgill, My roomies wil be here to welcome you, Sorry I can't be here, but we will hook up in the summer.
Old 05-04-05, 05:32 PM   #23
Lee Nelson

Default cheers for the niceness

thanks for the nice words people, I never meant to put that photo up to big up myself but it sure is nice to find that other performers are impressed. I have been mainly performing in dodgy countries lately so havent seen many of the regular crew. Sorry to hijack a good pole discussion thread!!!!
Gav, Ive never heard of this Andrew fella before either, maybe he was one of those acts that you just never bumped into. I have always respected your pole act more than others from a purely circus point of view because you free stand up their on a little platform, infinately more scary than being locked in I think. I wont even go into the five torches, two diablos and comic timing.....
I would however love to see a photo of Rumple doing my trick with springs on the bottom. That sounds so wacky. I would just dismiss it out of hand but we are talking about rumple.
Taxi, see ya soon, email me some directional details, Im going out to see Hilby as well.
Etienne, we are actually working in Ottawa that weekend, sorry. Maybe later.
I also used to hear stories of some guy from Sth Africa that was seen at Edinburgh doing a pole act, this was about 5 years ago...ring any bells???
ciao
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 06:46 PM   #24
newyorkstreetdean

Default Gavs pole

The scariest part of Gavs pole is when it is breaking. We watched him in front of the shopping mall in Sing. and the thing was litterally coming apart. I though it was part of the act and I was scared. Really scared after I found that it was really breaking and not infact part of the act!
newyorkstreetdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 08:04 PM   #25
le pire

Default Re: cheers for the niceness

Quote:
Originally posted by daisy and derek
...a good pole discussion
we don't get many of those around here.
Old 05-05-05, 04:53 AM   #26
gav

Default Re: Gavs pole

Quote:
Originally posted by newyorkstreetdean
The scariest part of Gavs pole is when it is breaking. We watched him in front of the shopping mall in Sing. and the thing was litterally coming apart. I though it was part of the act and I was scared. Really scared after I found that it was really breaking and not infact part of the act!
Hey man I don't know what you're talking about ! You can ask my wife, my pole is never broken or breaking or even brinking for that matter !! Maybe a little bending, but not enough to stop it from staying up.
Hang on, shit, what are we talking about here?
Do you mean when the rope came undone? or when the leg comes off the chair? or that bit when the aluminum tube cracks in the middle, and fragments shoot of into the crowd and then explode into flames !
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 04:55 AM   #27
Peter Voice

He meant that.

Really.
Old 05-09-05, 01:06 AM   #28
J-P

This is probably none of my business but I really have to post my two cents as I've seen most of the acts mentioned.
As far as I know, from posts here and my own experience – musician Sian Phillips from Freo that gav mentioned (still working?), gav, Francois(from earlier post), al, bikeboy, the South African is named Colin and got it off al in Edinburgh one year, Dan Nimmo (Duke Dreamer), Tim (Arizona Jones), dickhead(sorry, personal opinion) with the swords in Perth, Lleyton (who does a full Chinese pole show). Andrew left oz years ago and spends a lot of time in Scandinavia last I heard but I really don’t know if he’s done a pole. Last I saw him was 94 in Melbourne dive-rolling over crates onto concrete (ouch) but dirty fred mentioned him to al and I in 2003 in Gent so he’s probably floating around Europe still.

Is that nine,ten? Not counting the circuses, lamp posts, ‘damsel in distress’ show, sway pole guy (sorry, forgot his name) I saw in 2001 Dundas (yes, it’s possible gav but I wouldn’t carry that much crap around) and Strange Fruit (I first saw Sydney Festival, Jan 95). Oh, and the Chinese!
Good on you Gav for thinking of it but now that it's out there I have to ask the question "Can others be stopped from doing it?"
Does someone own the rola bola? ok, what about a platform? or a stack rola? put them together and does someone have something original? Does putting a costume on and a pretty hat mean someone is different? If I wear the same hat, am I stealing his show? What about unicycles? Who was the first?

Some of these are stupid questions but I belive a skill is a skill, if you can juggle seven whatevers on a ten foot bike then go for it. If someone else does it then good on them for learning. (It's different for characters/lines/routines)
My problem with the pole is that it's not a skill. People make the pole and stand on it. Five torches and handstands up there is great but without that than it's not hard to do. It's an easy way to get alot of height without the practice of a uni. What they do up there is what makes it their's.
Height=bigger crowd=better hat.

I don't like being the only performer without a giant pole on pitch (which happened to me for two months at the end of last year(and many other times)) but I'm not going to go out and get one for an instant crowd build and an extra 40% audience. I still compete hat wise to these shows with my two feet flat on the ground and smaller audiences because it's the performance that matters. Alot of people are now getting poles(go for it - we want 13 this summertime in Sydney!) but to think it will help create a better show is idiocy. And to think anything will stop people getting one is also stupid. I don't like it and I'm sure the current pole shows don't like it more but I can't justify hassling someone for getting one (and I know you have Gav). It's just a big prop and honestly, it makes unicycles look good.

J-P

P.S. This is alot more than two cents and now I know why I've been a registered member for years and never posted (this is my first) I'm not sure if people can put up with my 'quick' replies

PPS Al and I discussed getting a uni without a wheel (so people at the back didn't notice but he didn't have to learn to ride one) just before he went to Perth and saw you Gav. I don't know if this counts as having the idea but thought you should know
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 03:23 AM   #29
Mr Qwirk
... ___ ...

I totally agree!
Mr Qwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 03:48 AM   #30
gav

Default here here

I also agree with what you're saying JP.
However I never mentioned trying to stop others from doing it.
Yes, I have taken offence in the past when I have found out that someone has copied me, most particulary with sword dickhead, and then recently with Tim Motely. My issue with Tim was that I know him and thought it might have been decent if he had at least mentioned that he was thinking of doing it.When sean asked me, I said sure go ahead as long as you do it different. As it happened I found out about Tims by surprise after coming across a pic on the net.
Sword dick is another story, where I had just created this chair on top, and then went overseas. 2 months later a freind sends me a pic of a crowd of people with a pole rising up with a chair on top. For a moment I even thought it was mine, but soon realised what had gone down. That guy then had the cheek to say he didn't get the idea from me! We had shared a pitch for over a year!
One thing, I disagree that there is no skill involved. Trust me, when you have a 3mtr pole that you stand on top of and trust 3 strangers to stop you from falling it definately feels like it is a skill.
I guess those other versions where the legs are locked in are easier though.
Anyway, these are my last words on the subject, one guy wanted to know, and now I think he has all the info he needs.
How's everything in Sydney JP? Perhaps you could give us your version of Seans attempted murder. Brant says it was just a few scratches.
Ciao
Old 05-09-05, 08:17 AM   #31
J-P

I was thinking of the poles with the supports and not that bloody thing you used to stand on, that was scary!
Tim read me the set of emails you two had and I found them hilarious more than offensive. No, really. his long one and your reply were fantastic - I was pissing myself.
Sean's still alive and working. I've seen the 'scratches' alot like the welt I gave you on the arse in Waterloo. There's afew down his back and on his arm. He told us the story when he rocked up late to the draw with his shirt off. I won't comment on what happened as I've been caught too many times to bite again but the welts are there and 'the king' still lives.

J-P
Old 05-09-05, 09:28 AM   #32
Lynneski

Default Touch him with his 12 foot pole

G'day, Japes, Gav. Long time, fellas. Just for the sake of completeness, I think the swaypole guy you referred to in Dundas, Japes, was Davio AKA Denis Daviault from Montreal.

What the hell is that about, wanting 13 poles in Sydney? Sarcasm, I hope.

Much like any other performing dimension, it's no more interesting to see pole after pole than it is to see juggler after juggler or hand balancers after handbalancers. In the end, it's essence is the same and the attraction is in the "showpersonship" (wah, I laugh even typing that crap) that's built around the skill. I'll take a "good" show anyday, regardless of how tall, loud or on fire it is.
Old 05-09-05, 09:44 AM   #33
J-P

Thanks for that Lynnski, I was feeling guilty that I couldn't remember his name.

As for inviting poles to Sydney - I'm getting used to the poles and your dead right that audience get desensitised to them but it's become a running gag here and it's funny to see the one uni looking good next to 4 poles.

Also, if everyone gets one then maybe my show will start to look good.

One other thing - many years ago Al said that when everyone starts doing poles then he'll come off his and I'd love to see him rock on the ground.

Great to here from ya.

J-P

Last edited by J-P; 05-09-05 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-09-05, 09:44 AM   #34
le pire

Default Re: here here

Quote:
Originally posted by gav
One thing, I disagree that there is no skill involved. Trust me, when you have a 3mtr pole that you stand on top of and trust 3 strangers to stop you from falling it definately feels like it is a skill.
This takes guts, but it is not a skill. No disrespect for guts!

By comparison-- I consider most fire eating to be on the same "skill" level as the pole. The fire-eating that most street performers do (swallow 1 torch, swallow 2 torches, tongue transfer, little volcano, blast) tooks me about 1 hour to learn. The hardest part was holding a lit torch over my face. Once I got past that fear, no problem. Skill? Not really, just guts. That's not to say there are not VERY skilled fire eaters and fire performers. By the same measure, there are very skilled pole performers-- but the pole is not their skill.

I think a skill is something that took you more than a week to learn and more than a year to perfect.

etienne
Old 05-09-05, 09:55 AM   #35
J-P

Well put.

I should admit that the real reason I'll not get a pole is I'm scared of heights, oh well, no guts. . .

J-P
Old 05-09-05, 10:06 AM   #36
gav

Default chicken

What ever happened to that rickety table thing you had once JP ?
Old 05-09-05, 10:21 AM   #37
J-P

I tried it for a year on and off. I've still got it somewhere in storage but it never improved my show or hat and it's bloody heavy. Most of the time it hurt the show to have the separation from the audience so I went back to the ground I love.

J-P
Old 05-09-05, 01:40 PM   #38
Ivan Bellari

Default variation!!!!

i've seen a few pole acts... gav, al, dukedreamer, sean,.... and the big unicycles....slack ropes ( they scare me) ladders, boxes, tables,stilts, people on top of people .... a little chinese girl on a tower of glasses..

any sort of crazed blancing act is amazing to watch for a few minutes....

but really in the end .. there are very few shows where the props are the stars...

it's like juggling, or devil sticks, or diablo tops, or fire eaters....
really...

there are a finite number of ways to do these things... i mean if you put a hat on a dog.... it's still a dog...

but the what you do inbetween the same old tricks/stunts .. thats the amazing part...

i don't really know who started the "pole-as-a tall-thin-wobbly-dangerous-stage" but of the shows i've seen with pole finale's
the similarities end at the height...

cause the personalites are what the shows about.
gav is charming,
duke is wistful,
al is perfectly timed,
sean is crazy.

all are fun to watch but if they were on a pole or in a hole .. they would still be fun to watch...

i dont like juggling.. a monkey can juggle... but some of the funniest performers the most imaginative shows ... have been put on by jugglers... like jeb shoe, jp, and aiden orange...

i've seen horrible fire shows... any idiot with a bic a stick and some gauze can do some stunts... but
pyromancer takes you on a 30 minute escape and blows your mind.. jeff hill shows some of the bestest ever fire eating skill, and loki can get a crowd in a froth frenzy...

then there are the performers who do so much of everything that you can't really slide them into a pigeon hole... just high grade entertainers, like dantastick, the dan show, and ettiene ( who's name i can never spell )

lets face it .. we all steal a little from eachother, sometimes wed steal alot... but we make it our own... and it's up to each oerformer to continue to grow and change and adapt until they are constantly playing at the best of their ability.

i've seen shows that have not changed in the past 4 years... and it's sad..

i wouldn't get to worried about who did it first... as much as who makes it the most fun to watch.. and that is after all a question of personal taste.

oops sorry i rambled

exsulis

Ivan Bellari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 05:02 PM   #39
Road Mage

No plans to do the pole-fireball joke we were taqlking about in Singapore then J-P?

All the best mate

Owen
www.roadmage.com
"Why Don't We Do It In The Road" - Lennon & McCartney
Road Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 08:13 PM   #40
J-P

Angry

SSSHHHH!! don't tell everyone, owen.

And it sounds like great rambling to me, Ivan.

J-P