performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 12-16-06, 02:25 PM   #1
izimagic

Bunny Barcelona....

Hi, I am back from Los Angeles; now I am performing in Barcelona, in "la Rambla" normaly you are not alowed to use amplification, but the police is quite nice, and don't make problems
The audience here is OK, but don't pay good. I am performing the small show (to risqui with the big show, for the police....) normaly I get 20 to 40 Euros in a small 10 mn magic show; except today, the average per show was 3 or 4 Euros.....oups...shoudl be beter tomorow...can't be worse.ahahaha. Well I have been now 11 years traveling and performing around Europe, so if any one whant to come and perform here for the first time and don't know where to go just ask me. I will be happy to help. Just one thing that you have to now, Europe now is becoming very hard with street entretainers, and it's very hard to find places where you are still alowed to perform...I now a few, but more for the summer.
me
izimagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 02:59 PM   #2
jimmy talksalot

hey its me jimmy i posted info for you for san diego i'm coming to barcelona in march hope to finally meet you.
jimmy talksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 03:10 PM   #3
izimagic

Wink

Hi Jimmy
I am not sure that I will be in Barcelona in march; at this time, it's better to go to Rome to perform; you can travel with the ferry from Barcelona to Rome for about 30 Euros; it takes one night. In march here you can perform well only on the week-ends; but there is a big festival going on in Valencia for two weeks...I did it some years ago and did very well: about 1000 Euros in a good day....if you are a hard worker. Well that was in the past, I don't know how it is now.
Hope to see you around any way. how long are you planing to stay in Europe?
Seb
Old 12-18-06, 05:40 PM   #4
jimmy talksalot

sounds like i'm goin to rome.

maybe i'll go to spain in late feb...dunno.

i'm in san diego right now induring the nitemare. i'm here to see my kids and teach my 2 students magic street performing.

tonite i'm goin to L.A. so i can make some money for xmas for the kids. i'm pretty depressed terrible town san diego my students are goin nuts they have demanded we go to L.A. for a couple of nites.

my friend told me tom frank says L.A. is real bad right now.

how can it be worse.

wish i was in europe...when i go i'll probably stay a year...dunno, i just know i'm happiest in 2 places new orleans and europe and new orleans is a mess right now, too dangerous.
Old 01-01-07, 07:35 AM   #5
charliekarl

Hey Jimmy.

I'll be in Barcelona this weekend and can report on how it is for us guys. I did rome a while back and tried three shows in three different spots. I was stopped by police every time. Rome is hardcore against street performers and I think there's only one spot allowed but I forgot the name of it and it didn't look good when I looked at it. I know the plaza is posted here on some other thread about Italy. Apart from cops italy is a lovely place to be in.
charliekarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 08:34 AM   #6
izimagic

Hi Charlie
this is Sebastian from barcelona, the best place to perform is "la catedral", I am doing very well there now. You can perfrom also down "las Ramlas" where the statue of the "Colon" is; there is others magicians there too. If you need any help call me.
In rome I am sure you where on the wrong places, did you try "santa maria de trastevere" by night?? normaly you can perform well in "plaza Navona"; but now there is a chrismas market there.
You must know that performing in barcelona is forbiden; but don't worry, the police is not always after you...
sebastian mob: 696 245 321
Old 01-01-07, 08:50 AM   #7
charliekarl

Thanks for the help Sebastian.

I'm getting used to dealing with cops now. Navona was the place where it's allowed that I didn't remember the name of.

The spots I was stopped at were
The plaza near the Spanish steps,
The walking street near the spanish steps,
and by the big Parthenon style building to the east of Navona.

Never tried trastevere but will next time I'm in Italy.

Hey, I need a hostel or something in Barcelona for Wednesday and Thursday night. Can you recommend any place? Location is more important than price any day.

cheers
--
Charlie
Old 01-04-07, 10:03 AM   #8
jimmy talksalot

thanks karl
Old 01-04-07, 12:41 PM   #9
charliekarl

Default New laws in Barcelona

Hey guys.

The laws governing performing in Barcelona have changed with January 1. I think they are in some way better for shows now and in some way worse. I'm not exactly sure what they are since I don't speak spanish and I've met noone who can explain to me in understandable English yet. If anyone on this board know the rules, please post here what they are.

I have had one show stopped by police, but I must say it was one of the nicest police terminations of my show I have lived through. The policemen were very friendly and respectful and explained to me where I was allowed to work. Unfortunately I couldn't understand what they were saying, but they made an effort.

The hats are not good here at all, but I'm really liking the city and I find it really friendly.

cheers
Charlie Caper
Old 01-05-07, 06:14 AM   #10
izimagic

Hi, it's true that here in Barcelona it's not easy to make big hats, but when you start to get used of the place and the local peaploes you will discover that it can be very good sometime. I did some of my best hats ever during last weekend...somes shows over 350 Euros...So if I can do it you can do it too.
I don't know any think about the new rules, we, as street artists, are not realy informed about what the politics decide for us; but we are making an assosiation and we will start to defend our rights, try to make Barcelona a good and free place to perform for all.The first meeting is 8 january.
let you know as soon as I have somes news.
Old 01-11-07, 05:48 AM   #11
jugglermatt1

well good luck with your get together .Its nice knowing that theres still a flourishing scene over there at the moment.Normal spanish politics usually dictate that if there are no phonecalls to the police ,then the police dont have to step in and tell you to leave .Barcelonas a special category , the ramblas being a strange mix of disneyland and real life.Theres loads of plain clothed cops hunting down the low lives,who will look out for you.Here in the rest of spain (im in La Coruna) there seems to be a proliferation of petty licence problems."Do you have a licence to work here ?" Most of the time ive been getting away with it though.Amplified musics also banned all over , more ov a way of kicking out the South American pan pipe music people/mime artists,who were everywhere,played all the time , and generally drove everyone round the bend.Little amps are usually
Ok,although in Madrid in the retiro there is a total ban.
You can always (shock horror) apply for a permit ,wherever you are in Spain.Its best to go to the Ayuntamiento ,find the cultura department,ask for a permit .They sometimes send you then to the policia local(usually the other side of the city and about to shut down for siesta)who will grant you permission to stay . Usually for 2 days , in a designated spot.So if you are like me , and like to roam around playing small squares , parks , big walkways , small cozy resaurant terrazas,their main square , childrens playgrownds ,paseos by the sea ,then you will see that a permit is not much use.Hit and run , thats what I say.
jugglermatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 03:48 PM   #12
martin_ronda

Cool

Hey guys!

Very good topic, it gave me a lot of advise and help.

In april I will be in Europe for my first time and I'll start in Spain.

At the begining I'll be in Mallorca, but if everything goes right I'll travel to Barcelona and others major cities.

Perhaps I'll try to go to Rome as well.

I hope to see you guys around the Europe!

Martin