performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 09-30-03, 11:15 PM   #1
le pire

Post Domain Name Registration/ Purchasing (was: anal raping)

Ok, I want some opinions on this one...

my website is currently located at veryfunny.org and as we 'all know' it's best to have a website at .com

why? you ask...

-search engines look for .com first, then .net, then .everything else.

-.com is what people are familiar with, and sticks in their head more easily

So here's the scoop: I just paid the squatters at veryfunny.com a stupid amount of money, so I now own veryfunny.com, .org, .biz, .cc, .ws, .us, .fr

In short, I got 'em all except .net and .info (.net is owed by different squatters and when I bought .org, biz (etc) the domain registration company offered everything EXCEPT .info. Some squatter bought it the next day)

My question to the community, was this a stupid thing to do? On one hand, yes, I'm looking for support. But I'm also looking for people to side with my fiancée and tell me how foolish I was.

étienne

Sorry Etienne, I had to change the title of this thread. It's starting to become educational. --Jim

[ 10-09-2003: Message edited by: Jim ]</p>
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 03:27 AM   #2
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

[quote]Originally posted by le pire:

... I'm also looking for people to side with my fiancée and tell me how foolish I was.

étienne[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

I won't tell you that you're foolish but I'd side with your fiancée anytime.
Old 10-01-03, 08:26 AM   #3
Stretch

It really depends on what you do with it. If you promote like crazy, it could turn out to be a good bet. If you just sit on it, then not so good. And don't forget the annual $$$.

I think content is still king when it comes to search engine ranking, but what do I know, I'm just a clown!

good luck!

Walking tall and stretching imaginations!
Bill "Stretch" Coleman
web page
web page
web page
web page

[ 10-01-2003: Message edited by: Stretch ]</p>

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-03, 06:04 PM   #4
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb

[quote]Originally posted by le pire:
<strong>
-search engines look for .com first, then .net, then .everything else.

-.com is what people are familiar with, and sticks in their head more easily
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ummm... Search engines do not differentiate between .net, .org, .com. They look at content and page titles. The domain name has some effect on placement, but only the words between the "www" and the suffix (veryfunny, performers, jimshow, etc.)

I think having the ".com" is a good thing if it's available, but once it's printed on your card and people have gone there once and bookmarked it, the URL suffix is not all that important. I think 3 or 4 years ago, people had to be reminded that there were suffixes other than .com, but now there are so many, I think most people understand that typing in the exact address is important. (Check out www.whitehouse.com and then www.whitehouse.gov)

How many people here have mistakenly typed in www.performers.com? I don't own it. At the time I tried to get it, it was already registered by the London Life Insurance Company and they had no interest in parting with it. That was in February of 1997 and they still have not used it. (I actually like .net better for this site anyway.)

So Etienne, What did you pay? Now you gotta tell us.

Jim

[ 10-01-2003: Message edited by: Jim ]</p>
Old 10-04-03, 11:59 PM   #5
Daniel Zindler

I believe that Jim is totally wrong with the search engines only reading between the www. and .com (or other). In fact google doesn't even rank how high your listings is by any part of your address. It does so mainly using you site title, and then keywords, and your site description hidden within the html. If you want to kind out more you should check out www.searchengines.com.

And in answer to your question about if it was worth buying all those domain names. It depends on if you have gotton any work back from them. You should find out how many page request you are getting through each different url (.com, .info, .net, and so one). It simply takes a little bit of business research.

Daniel
Old 10-05-03, 02:04 AM   #6
le pire

ok, here we go...

Robert-- a wise man. A VERY wise man!

Stretch-- "It really depends on what you do with it" and "I think content is still king." Yeah, no shit sherlock and if you had actually looked at my current website (veryfunny.org), you would know that I am well aware of this. Why I posed this question is to learn what experiences other performers have had with: search engines, consumer memory retention, and brand identity.

Jim- once the website is bookmarked, you're right, then you're in and no worries. What I'm concerned about is the BEFORE bookmarking stage. That is, memory retention. I am currently having a BIIIG banner made that will be on stage during my show that features my (new) logo and the web address. I think people will remember .com easier than .org and that's partly what I'm banking on.

As far as the 'search engines look for' theory... I was actually quoting YOU from the lecture you gave at promofest last year!!!

I paid $500 for the domain name. They first asked for $899 and I slooooooowly emailed them back over a four week period getting them to lower their price. I had told myself that I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it, but finally my patience wore thin. I should have held out and I know it. I had done a WHOIS query and saw that they had squatted the site for 3 years so the advantage was mine. I really really really hate squatters and the was VERY happy to learn from a friend of mine who squatted a MOUNTAIN of sites when the internet was new that he has lost a lot of money. I think the 'business' is extortion and if I where as catholic as my parents I would believe that they will all burn in hell.

In any case, I rationalise that I paid "half a gig" for the domain name, but still...

Daniel- yes, I've just been told this! Thanks for the tips and I will be incorporating this info into my new website.

Thanks for all the replies,

étienne
Old 10-05-03, 07:56 AM   #7
Stretch

[quote]
Why I posed this question is to learn what experiences other performers have had with: search engines, consumer memory retention, and brand identity. <hr></blockquote>

Well, then you should have said so!

Here is my experience: a NUMBER ONE RANKING of 3,480 listings.
Go to google and type stiltwalker, Then search stilt walker. Big difference.

Old 10-05-03, 09:11 AM   #8
Jim
Your Host

$500 for a domain name is nothing. I'd say $5000 or higher would be anal raping, $1000 is on the outside edge of "reasonable" for a domain name you like (and someone else owns.) $500 is really not much to worry about. How much do you think stores pay for a basic sign to hang out in front of their business? To get the domain name rights for $500 is a steal.

I never would have said that search engines rank .com domains higher. I definitely would have said that the domain name has an effect on ranking, but I was talking about the middle "veryfunny" part, not the suffix. I'm sorry if that's what you understood, but that's not what I meant.

Be careful with BIG banners with your URL on them. I've seen some that look kind of cheesy. You definitely want people to enjoy your show and focus on YOU and not leave them with the impression that they're watching a commercial for your web site.

I've had my URL on my trunk since 1996. It's a vinyl sign that's about 12 inches wide and three inches tall... just big enough that it can be comfortably read from the audience. I used to get tons of traffic just from curious people seeing it and going home and typing it in. But these days, with URLs plastered on everything from blimps to fortune cookies to gum wrappers, I think the novelty is wearing thin. It's still useful and it still works, but it's really for the people who are going to contact me anyway and don't want to bother asking for a card.
Old 10-05-03, 09:59 AM   #9
Jim
Your Host

[quote]Originally posted by Daniel Zindler:
<strong>I believe that Jim is totally wrong with the search engines only reading between the www. and .com (or other). In fact google doesn't even rank how high your listings is by any part of your address. It does so mainly using you site title, and then keywords, and your site description hidden within the html.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Geez, I'm being totally misquoted here.

I didn't say search engines ONLY look in between the www and the suffix for ranking. I said that, IN ADDITION TO content and page titles (and meta data like page description, like Daniel said) some search engines also look at the URL keywords. The keywords being the stuff between the www and the suffix. I didn't mean that they ONLY use the URL, I meant, regarding the URL, they ONLY look between the www and the suffix. The URL is one of many things they use to index and rank sites.

Google is almost exclusively run on page titles and page content. I do not believe having key words in the URL affect RANK, but having keywords in your URL can't hurt. For other search engines, URL is more important than titles. For others, meta data is most important.

It's best to hit the search engines with everything in place... Descriptive titles, accurate meta data, keyword URL consistent with page content, keyword specific page content, no frames, no flash, no java... There are lots of things to take into consideration. Everything affects search engine rank and indexing.

Like Daniel said, www.searchengines.com is a good place to start reading.
Old 10-05-03, 08:16 PM   #10
le pire

Jim,

Thanks for the banner advice. It's actually 3 ft by 4 feet, with the logo placed prominently in the middle. "étienne!" is written across the top and the URL across the bottom. The banner is just that. The focus of the show is the show itself, not the website.

I wouldn't compare buying a sign to hang outside the store with buying a domain name. If I paid for a sign to put outside my store, I have the physical, tangible sign. With a domain name I have "the right."

Let's say I wanted to open a pizza parlour and call my restaurant Big Pizza. So I go to buy a license which normally costs around $50 a year. When I go to the registeriung burea, I find that someone else has already registered "Big Pizza." The person who did this isn't selling pizza, in fact he doesn't even have a store. He doesn't even live in this country. He simply registered the name so that if someone else wanted to use the name, they would have to pay his extortion fees.

I find this unethical. They are not providing a service, they just did a "cyberspace land grab" a few years ago. I don't like that.

So I'll pay the fee, and whine a little. You are right that $500 is not that bad. They want $100,000 for comedy.tv

étienne

p.s. Stretch, how'd ya get google to put you at #1?
Old 10-05-03, 09:01 PM   #11
Stretch

[quote]
p.s. Stretch, how'd ya get google to put you at #1? <hr></blockquote>

Content.

At least I think that is it. People visit the site for research on say, Charles Blondin, or Guiness world records, or ice skating on stilts.

So the content isn't neccessarily about ME, it is about what folks might find interesting on the subject. Or rather, some of the stuff I find interesting, others also find interesting. And google, with their algorithims notices this and ranks www.StiltWalker.com higher. But not stilt walker. go figure!

Old 10-07-03, 02:46 PM   #12
Sunshine

Etienne,

Image is everything.

Sounds like your having "Buyer's Remorse"

Don't --- If this is what you feel is the best way to promote your work go for it and don't look back. Just use it to your best advantage.

Sunshine
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 01:12 AM   #13
le pire

Hey Sunshine,

Long time since I've heard from you! How are you? Do you have a webpage up and running yet?

étienne
Old 10-08-03, 09:43 AM   #14
Stephon
Handonmy Member

[quote]Originally posted by Jim:
<strong>To get the domain name rights for $500 is a steal.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Holy crap! I just bought mine for $8.95

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 11:19 AM   #15
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb

[quote]Originally posted by Stephon:
<strong>

Holy crap! I just bought mine for $8.95</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it usually costs about 10 bucks if no one owns it. But if someone is sitting on a name you want, prices usually start in the $500+ range and go into the tens of thousands of dollars. A few years ago, the domain name "business.com" sold for 10 MILLION dollars. And that was just the NAME.

After I registered "thejimshow.com", I decided I should probably own "jimshow.com" as well, but someone already had it and actually had a site up. It was for a guy in Las Vegas with a radio show called The Jim (something-or-other) Show. I was surprised, but I didn't bother contacting him or trying to buy it. About a year later, I typed in "jimshow.com" and there was no site and the registration had expired, so I scooped it up. Phew!

If your name is available, grab it now. It only costs $10 a year to own it and you can hold onto it as long as you want and do something with it later if you have to.
Old 10-09-03, 01:31 PM   #16
Cybele

How do you find out if the name is available, and how do you register?
Old 10-09-03, 03:04 PM   #17
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb

[quote]Originally posted by Cybele:
<strong>How do you find out if the name is available, and how do you register?</strong><hr></blockquote>

www.domaininvestigator.com

I like those guys. $14.95 per year for one name. But they usually have deals... Register two for $19.95 or register two for $19.95 and get the third free. It changes. There are cheaper places, but I've been with DomainInvestigator for over three years and there have been zero problems. If you have several names (I have more than a dozen) the control panel lets you manage all of them at once. It's very nice.

Just DON'T go to Verisign. Once they get your name, it's very difficult to transfer it to another registrar in the future. Plus they're more expensive than anyone.

Go to the above link and type in the name you want to see if it's available. If it is, they'll walk you through the registration process. It's simple.

Jim
Old 10-11-03, 09:42 AM   #18
Mr.Taxi Trix

Canada

Your fiance is right, Etienne, you compulsive little squatter.

Godaddy.com is at 8.95, I've had no troubles, except that they automatically renew, so unless you switch credit card numbers every year, you need to keep an eye on your inbox.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote