performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 05-28-06, 12:47 PM   #1
Rick Martin

Default Web site redux

Web people had been telling me search engines would not find my keywords because my site was built using frames. A web guy just redid my site and supposedly got rid of the frames and embedded lots of additional keywords. I think my site looked better the old way with the menu in a seperate frame running along the left side. As each page opened up, the menu did not move and as you scrolled the open page down, the menu did not move. I suppose that's because it was in it's own frame (?).
Anyway, I'd like to hear what you all think about this and any suggestions for improving my site.
Thanks
Rick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 02:38 PM   #2
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

R; I don't know how important it really is to be search engine optimized.

It's kinda nice, but you'll never be at the top of the heap. oh, wait, you're #1 for "tricky dogs." That surprised me.

The most useful thing to me has been having a site people could check out quickly and easily. You have that. You have great pictures and descriptions. Your video looks good, but I can't hear it.

the menu is fine at the top. The colors and the aesthetics are not nice or quite right for you, but those don't matter that much.
Old 05-28-06, 02:49 PM   #3
iain

As long as people can find you easily when searching for your name, I think you're good.

Frames are evil and should be avoided. You can do what you want with the menu using CSS2 without hosing search engine optimization or introducing any of the other frames attrocities. By making a div layer for your content block, you can get a scroll bar for that block only and have the rest of the page stay still.

Another simple option is to just put a smaller print second navigation bar at the bottom under all your content, works just as well for keeping things easy to navigate but doesn't look as weird when scrolling down.

Iain
iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 04:26 PM   #4
Rick Martin

I got my site changed back to the old design, but supposedly now it don't got no frames and I'm told that's good. Some of my photos got phouled up a little, so I will reload those.

The search engines are important for me. There are so few dog acts working outside of the circus and of the few that are working in my market, only three have web sites. If a buyer wants a dog act, I want to do what I can to be found.
Rick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 06:20 PM   #5
iain

Hey Rick, in that case what you should be doing is getting links to your site up on other sites. Find active sites that might be interested in cross promotions, say other dog related non-circus sites. Other sites linking to you make a big difference for google search rankings.

Iain
iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 09:25 PM   #6
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

by the way: your site is back in frames again.

search for search engine optimization tutorials. They're everywhere.

Three things, that are pretty easy are: putting keywords on your site, getting links to you, and making your site fresh.