performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 06-26-02, 09:26 AM   #1
Daniel Mooncalf

Question Take two...

Hello... I have questions about the beginning and ending of a perforance.

What's the best way to collect tips without sounding greedy or aggressive?

Should I attempt to gather a crowd first, or should I just start a routine, and do my entire show?
Old 06-26-02, 11:03 AM   #2
Danny Hustle

[quote]Originally posted by Daniel Mooncalf:
<strong>Hello... I have questions about the beginning and ending of a perforance.

What's the best way to collect tips without sounding greedy or aggressive?

Should I attempt to gather a crowd first, or should I just start a routine, and do my entire show?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am a rookie and I'm sure some of the more qualified will chime in but I'll tell you what I do.

When collecting tips you should always be as agressive but never appear greedy. You are there to make money your crowd needs to be made aware of this, but, make them aware in a way that makes them want to give you money. When I say agressive I mean asertive and bold. Not to attack in a hostile way.

I gather a crowd first. I then use that crowd to blow up the crowd to maximum density. While doing this I mention I will be asking for money at the end of the show in a funny way.

About halfway through my show I have a funny line that lets people know I will be passing the hat at the end of the show. I do this so any late arrivals know I might like to be tipped if they stay.

Just before my big finish I mention again that I will be asking for money after they see this amazing thing i have to show them. I do this in a funny way, but I want them to know that if they stay for the rest of the show they shoud drop a couple of bucks in my hat at shows end.

At shows finish I cut the applause a little short (I allow enough applause so that they feel I am not being rude, but I cut it before people start walking away without paying).

I then do a very short hat/end pitch and set out my hat. I then lay out my hat and drop hat lines until the money starts to drop at a good clip. At this time I say as many thank yous as I can to people giving me money and try to make a lot of appreciative eye contact with these thank yous.

I get asked for business cards at almost every show and have them handy. I have gotten a TON of private work this way.

That's the structure of my pitch beginning middle and end. I think you need a middle for late arrivals. My thought is people do not want to feel sand bagged when you ask them for money. I have found that if I drop hints beginning middle and end people know what to expect and are less likely to be offended by you asking for money.

That's my two cents I'd love to hear the opinions of some of the other folks that post here.

Best,

Dan-
Old 06-27-02, 09:52 AM   #3
Mr.Taxi Trix

click on this:

http://www.performers.net/library/tt-hatlines.html

Read all the street performing articles in the library.

Danny is right. I even invite people to leave just before the final bit if they are choosing not to pay, and find this increases hats. "Its been a free show. up till now." kinda schtick. Keep it funny, but serious.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote