performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 09-16-09, 08:57 AM   #1
elbonko
Casual Observer

Default PA Combo

kokoP,

here's what I personally use. I have one big speaker that has an amplifier and 3-channel mixer built right in. It cost me about $300 and is the predecessor to this:

http://www.adjaudio.com/product.asp?...2&cat=Speakers

There is no built-in battery, so you have to plug it in, but so far i generally work where there is electricity. It is a work-horse, though. I've had it for 2.5 years and hundreds of shows with never a problem. It can boom loud enough to accommodate a large outdoor circle show and I am pretty particular about my sound being clear and powerful. I do a lot of work to music and I like it to sound good.

My mic is the Samson Airline 77 headset:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...2015&brandID=1

I've had this mic for over 8 years now and I absolutely adore it. You can get them for around $350. The transmitter is on the headset so there is no wire running to a belt pack, which allows for easy removal. The sound quality is astoundingly good for a mic of this price and I have beat mine to hell and it is still rockin like a champ. I have a very movement-oriented show with lots of fast 360's and the mic holds on very well.

Now, if you want a whole combo deal--amp, mixer, speaker, battery, mic--all in one, I know they’re out there, but I don’t have experience with any of them to tell you what’s good. Maybe someone else will follow-up with that info.

I hope that helps!

www.AaronBonk.com
elbonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 04:38 AM   #2
Devinthejuggler

Ooh, it looks nice, i have a jbl eon, kind of similar i think, just can't figure out how to get it to run off a battery, but i know once i do, my screaming days are over.
Devinthejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 04:49 AM   #3
Doctor Eric

Just FYI, the samson is a really shit microphone. If you don't convince yourself you need one, you're better off with a sennheiser. It's about $100 more, and it's the best mic on the market, hands down. It has a belt pack, which certain acts get queer about, deciding that they couldn't ever possibly figure out how to do their act with a 1/16th inch diameter wire running down their back, and then buying that shitty aerobics mic, but use a sennheiser ONCE, and you'll figure out which is the better bargain. Sound quality = amazing, roaming channels means never ONCE will you ever get signal interference, even if you decide to do shows in an international airport, and did I mention the sound quality is ridiculous?

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 10:06 AM   #4
elbonko
Casual Observer

yeah, but sennheiser profits go to support Al Quieda. so there's that.

www.AaronBonk.com
elbonko is offline   Reply With Quote