performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 12-06-03, 05:46 PM   #1
Riot Nrrrd

Question shaker cups - buying advice

Howdy folks;

I just got some money in the mail - so it's time for new toys! I've decided shaker cups will be my next acquisition, so;

What kind do I buy? So far, I'm seeing only Dube and Renegade as sources - are there others around? (I'm probably only interested in places in North America). The way I see them, Dube's are prettier, and Renegade's are more functional. Also, if going with the Rens, do I get their aluminum ones or their alloy ones? What's the difference? (other than what they're made of - I knew that! But what are the implications of the different materials?)

Can real bartending gear be modified into manipulation props some way? How is that done, and where do I get that? Or is it better to go with commercial stuff . . .

Thanks folks,
Calum Smith (Riot Nrrrd)
Alberta, Canada.
Riot Nrrrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 08:40 PM   #2
le pire

Dubé are ok. The problem is the rubber stopper in the bottom falls out and then you have to mail it back to Brian and he takes his sweet time sending it back to you.

Renegade cups are flimsy and get smashed out of shape in about 3 days. Beard cups take about 1 day, so renegade did improve on the design.

The good cups are by this guy:

http://www.jugglingarts.com/prodpics.html#alloycups

They are as expensive as silicone balls.

A warning about shaker cups. They are LOUD. If you live with your girlfriend/boyfriend/parents/spouse/live-in lover/mistress/bitches/ kept boys/livestock they will all hate you 'cause of the racket.

étienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-03, 11:13 AM   #3
dave walbridge

Get the alloy. Performers I know use up a set of the other cups about once a year, so the alloy is worth it. ( Nice colors, too!)

Dave

PS Yep. They are loud.

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
dave walbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-03, 11:30 AM   #4
le pire

[ 12-16-2003: Message edited by: le pire ]</p>
Old 12-16-03, 12:47 PM   #5
stickman

Apple

They are loud! Had to drop them from my show this year, because the girlfriend won't let me train with them anymore. Aluminum dies quickly though I haven't tried the alloy. Who sells the alloy by the way. Beard also makes them, in aluminum.

Stickman
http://www.weeble.org
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-04, 12:02 PM   #6
le pire

the Beard cups are shit (what do you expect from an English company [img]smile.gif[/img] )

the two brands I have bought are Dube & Juggling Arts. I have tried out both beard & renegade at juggling conventions and will not buy these piece of crap.

Review-

Dube cups are aluminium and the counter balance is created with a latex rubber stopper in the bottom of the cup. The cups are fairly small so if you do not have big hands these cups are easier to catch.

They are do-able and well made, HOWEVER the rubber counter balance has fallen out on two of my eight cups and this was a major pain. Especially considering that the cups were less than two months old and I never dropped them on a hard surface. Dube fixed the cups, but I really don't think they should have falled out in the first place.

The Juggling Arts (alloy) cups are bigger and tougher. The will not dent, but they RESONATE. Because they have a large cup, they will resonate LOUDLY and I estimate that they are twice as loud as the Dube cups. They juggle FANASTICALLY and if you are going to use shaker cups, than get the juggling arts cups. They are expensive ($40 per cup, compared with $27 for the Dubes) but you will be glad you spent the extra $$$$.

etienne
Old 01-10-04, 05:16 PM   #7
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Guitar

Check with Dan Holzman ( info@volcanoball.com ) he has these plastic shaker cups that are super nice and bright and don't dent. I don't think anyone else has them.
Old 01-11-04, 12:09 AM   #8
le pire

Dan Holzman uses the Juggling arts cups. I have his shaker cup routine on video and Elliot, the guy who runs Juggling Arts told me so.

etienne