performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > THE GREEN ROOM > BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

Old 10-29-11, 05:18 AM   #1
Irina

Default Occupy Wall Street buskers?

Hey, I wonder - did any of you guys participate in OWS and what was your experience? Shall buskers get involved - or stay on 9 foot pole from it?
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 06:49 AM   #2
davidkaye

I think that busking turns the protest into a mercenary event, which I don't think is a very good idea. Why not just perform there for the love of doing it? Here in the SF Bay Area, the Extra Action Marching Band was scheduled to play at the Oakland protest. I didn't get a chance to go, but I hope it came off okay. Here's something about Extra Action:
http://www.extra-action.com/
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 02:11 AM   #3
Irina

I did not mean making money there, just should we even go there as performers? I have a lot of people asking me lately if I paint faces at OWS, as some folks at these rallies want to conceal their identity... I wonder if folks are scared to loose their jobs in big corporations or banks? Is it that dangerous to be a part of it? Can you get arrested? I usually stay away from politics, but OWS seems like a really great movement...I was a kid in Russia in 60s, missed the whole era, and OWS has similar vibe.... I love "out-of-60s" gigs like Oregon Country Fair or EarthDance, but they are just "peace-love and happiness" events, I was never involved in any political movements or confrontations.
Old 10-30-11, 02:29 AM   #4
davidkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
I did not mean making money there, just should we even go there as performers? I have a lot of people asking me lately if I paint faces at OWS, as some folks at these rallies want to conceal their identity... I wonder if folks are scared to loose their jobs in big corporations or banks? Is it that dangerous to be a part of it? Can you get arrested? I usually stay away from politics, but OWS seems like a really great movement...I was a kid in Russia in 60s, missed the whole era, and OWS has similar vibe.... I love "out-of-60s" gigs like Oregon Country Fair or EarthDance, but they are just "peace-love and happiness" events, I was never involved in any political movements or confrontations.

Protests are always risky, whether it's here, in Russia, China, or even Canada. To quote songwriter Kris Kristofferson, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose", meaning that the people with the least to lose are more likely to take the bigger risks.

If you make your living as a busker or in some other way that doesn't require you to show up at an office or be a "fine upstanding citizen" I'd say go ahead and do the OWS thing. If you get arrested that's probably not that big a deal as the charges are usually dropped after you spend the night in jail. (Basically the authorities are just trying to get people off the street and don't seriously intend to press charges.)

However, as happened in Oakland, sometimes you get hit with a tear gas canister, rubber bullets (which can hurt!), or you get run over by a police car or injured by a fellow demonstrator. Here's some footage about the Oakland protest from a few days ago:
http://www.baycitizen.org/blogs/puls...-take-streets/

So, it's your decision whether you want to be a part of history or stay home. But being a part of history can mean getting injured or killed. It does happen, remember.
Old 10-30-11, 03:07 AM   #5
Irina

I found some cool pictures of performers at OWS in NYC
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1...py-Wall-Street
I will definitely go to New Orleans rallies when I get back home, hope it will be an interesting scene.
Old 10-30-11, 04:34 AM   #6
davidkaye

Quote:
I found some cool pictures of performers at OWS in NYC
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1...py-Wall-Street
I will definitely go to New Orleans rallies when I get back home, hope it will be an interesting scene.
Nice photo collection. There is, of course, safety in numbers.
Old 10-30-11, 06:38 PM   #7
Kate Awesome

Sure, sure...exploit the 99%, why dontcha?!
Old 10-30-11, 11:59 PM   #8
Irina

I am really interested in personal experiences of buskers participating oin OWS! I will go to a rally in NOLA, already joined New Orleans OWS meetup on www.meetup.com to get updates. I am really curious - what kind of faces shall I paint for OWS? I did 'Jazz Funeral for Democracy" when Bush got re-elected, that was mostly peace-signs, I even painted a peace sign on somebody's dog...Any political rally in New Orleans turns into a parade, so it is a lot of fun.
Old 10-31-11, 08:05 AM   #9
RiffRaff

Quote:
I am really curious - what kind of faces shall I paint for OWS?
Guy Fawkes
RiffRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 12:25 PM   #10
Peter
Unused member

The only problem with this group is that they don't have any money to give us buskers. They contribute for food and other things but feel that we should entertain for free. I believe that "free" is a 4 letter word starting with 'F'" So FREE them
Old 10-31-11, 05:15 PM   #11
davidkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
The only problem with this group is that they don't have any money to give us buskers. They contribute for food and other things but feel that we should entertain for free. I believe that "free" is a 4 letter word starting with 'F'" So FREE them
I don't think it's kosher to busk at such events. Play music, fine. Paint faces, fine. Juggle and do magic tricks, fine. Put out the tip jar? No.

There is plenty of time to be a mercenary.
Old 10-31-11, 08:35 PM   #12
Irina

Nothing wrong with tip jar or accepting tips if people are offering them - it is a voluntary donation after all. Charging or aggresivly hassling tips will not be cosher at all. I do not think you will make any $$ though even with a tip jar - may be a granola bar or a joint...
Old 01-24-12, 12:19 AM   #13
jonnyflash
your private dancer

I think the Occupy movement will heat up again (literally) in the Spring. I waited and watched over the winter, thinking an obscure ideological sect was organizing my local Occupy, and I'm satisfied that wasnt the case. Here there was everyone from Tradespeople to profs to panhandlers there, everyone who knows there's something really wrong with how the 1% are running this show. I will be there in the Spring with my band and maybe bang out a show to help strengthen the occupation by making it funner and livelier. This would be bigger than the money thing.

www.jonflash.com
jonnyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 01:36 AM   #14
Irina

Here in New Orleans a lot of 'occupyers" are bums and gutter punks, they got kicked out from the square in front of city hall and moved into abandoned buildings. People are scared of them - they break into houses and steal and they are really dirty and have all kinds of bugs and germs...I guess some of the "top shelf" occupiers are political activists, but there are way too many homeless and transients there who just want to camp for free and get free food...I think it is a right thing for the city management to close all these camps - if folks want to have a protest on public land - let them come and have a meeting, but do not just let bums squat in a city park under some political slogan they do not care about! Most of them should be in rehab and not in politics...

Tags
buskers, occupy wall street, street performers, street theatre