performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 02-22-10, 04:33 PM   #1
amazingarthur

Default Promo video advice

Trying to keep it under 3:30 or so. Open to any advice on editing, content, whatever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jEm-kf6mVs
Old 02-22-10, 06:04 PM   #2
Isabella

Strong material - is the video reflecting your style as strongly as it could? Right now, the photos say "WACKY!", the music says "medium wacky", the verbals say "relaxed wacky", and the editing says "comatose". Do you want to reflect a relaxed, personally-connected style or a high-energy style? Either are a great choice, but if you go for the former, maybe a new music choice; if the latter, maybe shorter cuts as per below.

You're very funny - why are you a "comedy superhero"? Would love to see more of that hook, it's a great, catchy phrase.

Pictures good but it opens like a slide show. What if you got one or two higher-footage-quality video clips and opened with them?

Captions not always legible over video - maybe another color?

Too long. I felt my button pop at 1:21.

Is there music in the show? The music becomes slightly annoying because it doesn't sound like it's the actual sound and it stays the same. What if the music was "connector" music over the quotes on a black background between clips? Bring up the volume then and take it out/down on the talking bits?

With all the clips, can you get in later and get out earlier? Like, bring us in right before the peak of action or comedy and cut away before we're done laughing?

It's very verbal - seeing the pictures didn't add much to hearing the sound.

Why do you end with a music credit rather than your contact info?

Long black screen before music credit.

Great font for your name. Can your other visual captions be as strong a stylistic choice as that one?

Thanks, I enjoyed seeing your work!

Allison
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 05:24 AM   #3
Doctor Eric

Get the quotes off of your face.

Make them look pretty, not illegible and ugly.

Ditch the ones that are more than 13 words. Too much info, you talking, and me trying to read and listen at the same time? No can do.

You have too many of them anyway, you would be better served by using 3 really good, short ones, at key moments, rather than a barrage of quotes, some of which are very blah, I stopped reading them real fast.

I find the term "comedy super hero" to be childish, pretentious, ridiculous, and most of all, completely untrue. I'd be much more interested in your name.

Along with that, you don't need your phone number in the corner the whole time, it's just visually distracting.

You have quite a few good jokes. Opening with the racist one isn't a very good idea. there are a few other things that should be clipped out, or moved around, I think a bunch of time should be devoted to re-editing, but there are too many little instances for me to list them all.

I agree with too long. There was a point that I was sold. For the market that you're poking for, you're good, and probably better than a lot of the choices out there, trim off all the fat, you're good enough.

The music is entirely unnecessary. Use quick burst of music in cuts, if you feel you have to, but throwing it in the background is a waste, and it's distracting.

I REALLY wish your footage looked nicer. If you can get nicer footage (preferably with nicer sound, as well), do so.

I just watched it again. Your jokes go from fucking stupid, to good and likable. Cut the first two, and start with the third. It's totally okay to go from good and likable to fucking stupid, because now we like you, the other way 'round, we may not give you a chance.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 02:17 PM   #4
amazingarthur

Thanks for the input. Some of the advice is helpful. I find it particularly humorous to be told that my title of 'Comedy Superhero' is "childish, pretentious, ridiculous, and untrue" by someone whose location is listed as "The Inner Bowels of Roseanne Barr." Which in comparison is very classy, funny, timely, and obviously true.

I did take some of the advice from both comments and put it together on this link. It's not done yet, I plan on tweaking quite a few things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7a0nnSGkSw

In response to some of the comments...I don't think the contact info is distracting, most television channels have their logo on the bottom corner. I dropped the music down (doesn't music on a promo video help tie the whole thing together, like a soundtrack?), cut the time by about 25 sec, lost some quotes, moved some quotes, cut the "racist" joke (how is that racist?-maybe you meant funny), and uploaded it in better quality.
Old 02-23-10, 05:25 PM   #5
Isabella

That's what I love about you Eric, I always feel so sane and balanced next to you.

Arthur - this version makes me think "funny" "clever" "verbal-heavy comedy". The footage is faster paced and more exciting. My "time's up!" moment came at 2:21, but I do think you need a longer promo in general because it's word heavy. What if all the balloon jokes were a mini-montage together?

The music is better but drops out in a couple of odd places. Sorry to not be more specific, I'm heading to rehearsal.

like how it ends strong with you.

Quotes better.

My main concern - if I was your agent - would be that you don't look "expensive". If your market is mid-range, you're bang-on. If you want to be marketing for a higher-end client (and i think your material is smooth enough to do that) it may be worth it to later make a new promo with purpose-shot footage of higher quality in a more expensive-looking setting and a pricier costume (like a really sharp suit). However, this seems fine for mid-range bookings, maybe take one more pass to tighten it up. Right now, your logo is the most sharp/expensive part.

Thanks for sharing!

A
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 08:51 PM   #6
amazingarthur

Updated again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK5AijXr_kc

Shorter
Watermark instead of bold font in corner
Is this one better?
Old 03-19-10, 10:49 AM   #7
magic_fella

I watched both of your promo pieces. Having booked performers here are the impressions:

1) Most performers get about fifteen seconds to get my attention. Am I likely to wait for a whole three minute promo to load? Probably not. I have other things to do. So your first fifteen seconds is critical, since I will be deciding whether or not to put up with the load time. My impressions? Here's a guy who is going to be wacky (did you know that the first picture makes you look like Conan O'Brian?), a guy that has enormous credibility...and is going to be high energy.

2) Yup. I would have watched the rest of the video. It's a good thing to tell a client that the performer you've bought for him has all these references behind him.

3) You are wise to focus on your interaction with the audience instead of the juggling. I get a good sense for who you are onstage. Organizers see dozens of jugglers and the tricks they do DON'T stand out after you've looked at so many of them. What I mean is that you can't remember who did what. I WOULD remember you because of the jokes you made. So excellent work there.

4) Let me suggest that you make the video shorter. You can present yourself in a clean manner with great impact in under two minutes. I had the sense that the focus shifted to "a bunch of stuff I can do" in the middle. Pick your "a" killer material and do that. Show me juggling. Then magic...and finally the balloon animal stuff. You know why? The Balloon animal stuff is hilarious, fresh, original and charming.

Overall? A very good video -- much better than most out there.

A few parting thoughts:

1) Keep the testimonials short. Maybe a dozen words. They are hard to read while watching you perform. We already get the idea of who you are from the material and the logo blizzard at the beginning.

2) The font has to be better placed. Don't put it over your face. Is there a way to add a stroke to them? Maybe a bright color?

3) You are correct to keep the phone number on the video. (Operators standing by is funny as well, by the way.) You never know what may make me write it down and call.

I don't find any of the material offensive or racist.

David
Old 03-19-10, 11:05 AM   #8
magic_fella

Oops...I saw the second page a little late.

I guess the problem with asking for feedback is that so many people have so many different concepts of what works and what doesn't. So...with sympathy and serious empathy and respect...here's the feedback on the LAST video:

1) I liked the logos. They gave you credibility. Removing them is a mistake.

2) I am really sensing a much more "handmade" feel here. I go "Oh...gee...another juggler promo piece." Nothing really stands out since it has become a series of tricks. The great personality you presented in the first and second editions has been washed away. I would remember very little specific about this one.

3) I liked "comedy Superhero." It made me smile.

4) Sound compeltely fades out for two segments around the yo yo piece. Your mouth is moving and I can't hear you. Looks very bush to me.

5) What's up with the newspaper?

I think a lot of organizers look at juggler footage and sigh. You expect that these guys will do amazing manipulations. What you are looking for is something offbeat. Something that makes the performer different.

You had it in the first incarnations...not in this one.

Again: just one opinion, offered with respect to another performer. Take it for what it's worth.

David