performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 02-25-10, 01:24 AM   #21
Doctor Eric

(And I'd say he's done a pretty good job of taking the criticism and working with it)

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 02:38 PM   #22
amazingarthur

Here it is again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6NQkUSev-c

I have removed logos, stills at the beginning, added some bounce juggling-with a joke-bad audio-think it's better left out. Still too long. Let me know if I'm getting closer.
Old 02-25-10, 04:41 PM   #23
Stephon
Handonmy Member

I'm afraid I missed the point of the newspaper clip. I watched it three times, but. . .

The sound dropped out on the second yo-yo clip, thru the ball cascade.

I think I'd cut the bank / yo-yo case joke after "away"; for the purpose of the video, the rest doesn't add anything.

If it were me, I wouldn't completely remove the logos at the beginning. I'd just shorten it significantly, maybe put a photo center screen and have them scroll scroll by, one list down the left side and another up the right--the client doesn't have to be able to read all of them, just see that there is a respectable number of clients, and some of them are big names.

I think a little bit of music from the end of the final laughter thru the end would be a smoother finish that sudden silence.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just picking out things to criticize, but that's actually a good thing; it means the overall video is good, or I'd be suggesting sweeping changes.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~

Last edited by Stephon; 02-25-10 at 05:25 PM.
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 03:42 AM   #24
Juggalicious

Send a message via AIM to Juggalicious

I watched this version and thought it was great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7a0nnSGkSw

The only thing I would say is keep taping shows and once you get footage that is better video quality replace clips. Not for the content - for the quality. It's not a deal breaker but it's the main improvement I can see.

lastly, I don't know what Eric is talking about... but then again, I never do.

Alex

I have new juggling clubs.
Juggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 03:45 AM   #25
Juggalicious

Send a message via AIM to Juggalicious

also - i quite liked all the logos at the beginning.

I have new juggling clubs.
Juggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 10:49 AM   #26
magic_fella

I watched both of your promo pieces. Having booked performers here are the impressions:

1) Most performers get about fifteen seconds to get my attention. Am I likely to wait for a whole three minute promo to load? Probably not. I have other things to do. So your first fifteen seconds is critical, since I will be deciding whether or not to put up with the load time. My impressions? Here's a guy who is going to be wacky (did you know that the first picture makes you look like Conan O'Brian?), a guy that has enormous credibility...and is going to be high energy.

2) Yup. I would have watched the rest of the video. It's a good thing to tell a client that the performer you've bought for him has all these references behind him.

3) You are wise to focus on your interaction with the audience instead of the juggling. I get a good sense for who you are onstage. Organizers see dozens of jugglers and the tricks they do DON'T stand out after you've looked at so many of them. What I mean is that you can't remember who did what. I WOULD remember you because of the jokes you made. So excellent work there.

4) Let me suggest that you make the video shorter. You can present yourself in a clean manner with great impact in under two minutes. I had the sense that the focus shifted to "a bunch of stuff I can do" in the middle. Pick your "a" killer material and do that. Show me juggling. Then magic...and finally the balloon animal stuff. You know why? The Balloon animal stuff is hilarious, fresh, original and charming.

Overall? A very good video -- much better than most out there.

A few parting thoughts:

1) Keep the testimonials short. Maybe a dozen words. They are hard to read while watching you perform. We already get the idea of who you are from the material and the logo blizzard at the beginning.

2) The font has to be better placed. Don't put it over your face. Is there a way to add a stroke to them? Maybe a bright color?

3) You are correct to keep the phone number on the video. (Operators standing by is funny as well, by the way.) You never know what may make me write it down and call.

I don't find any of the material offensive or racist.

David
Old 03-19-10, 11:05 AM   #27
magic_fella

Oops...I saw the second page a little late.

I guess the problem with asking for feedback is that so many people have so many different concepts of what works and what doesn't. So...with sympathy and serious empathy and respect...here's the feedback on the LAST video:

1) I liked the logos. They gave you credibility. Removing them is a mistake.

2) I am really sensing a much more "handmade" feel here. I go "Oh...gee...another juggler promo piece." Nothing really stands out since it has become a series of tricks. The great personality you presented in the first and second editions has been washed away. I would remember very little specific about this one.

3) I liked "comedy Superhero." It made me smile.

4) Sound compeltely fades out for two segments around the yo yo piece. Your mouth is moving and I can't hear you. Looks very bush to me.

5) What's up with the newspaper?

I think a lot of organizers look at juggler footage and sigh. You expect that these guys will do amazing manipulations. What you are looking for is something offbeat. Something that makes the performer different.

You had it in the first incarnations...not in this one.

Again: just one opinion, offered with respect to another performer. Take it for what it's worth.

David