performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 09-08-08, 01:30 AM   #1
kennethkahn

Default San Francisco

San Francisco is still in turmoil. It's such a funny place (San Fran sillyness). It's cold all fairly cold and windy all year round. It's very expensive, and theirs two many performers fighting for too few spots, yet everyone wants to come to SF, which does make it a factor.

The permit system does not seem to be making the situation any better, as it does not address the basic problem of respect that seems to be missing by the buskers/street performers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ktc pic5.jpg (167.4 KB, 201 views)
kennethkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 10:16 AM   #2
jeep caillouet

I worked there some in the late70's early 80's and didn't care for it for those reasons. I did like the black dude that sits on the bucket hiding behind 2 bushes that jumps out at you and scares the hell out of you. My problem with him was he set up across the street from me and he drew this huge crowd on my side of the street. They were all watching him and I wound up just being in the way. Santa Cruz was a lot more fun. Do you ever see love 22 up there? He lives in Ben Loman not far from the city.
Old 09-10-08, 01:49 AM   #3
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Love I left my septum in San Francisco

If you were me, which you weren't, the late 70's & early 80's was the hey-day in San Francisco.
Pier 39 opened up Oct. '78. They made me the "entertainment coordinator" almost immediately. Basically, I was given carte blanche by the administration to perform whenever I chose on the stage I personally designed.
I made beaucoup $ which I frittered away on drugs and women. I sure miss those times …

P.S. Love "auditioned" for me in '78 ... we’ve been friends ever since… I am proud to say, I have one of his original (before the counterfeiting charge) 22-dollar bills on my refrigerator.

Last edited by Butterfly Man; 09-10-08 at 01:55 AM.
Butterfly Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 10:12 AM   #4
jeep caillouet

Default pier 39

B Man,The first time I met you was the summer of '81 Your were this big time juggler and I was just this funky banjo picker. I remember talking to you and watching your show but I didn't play there, that was for the big boys.Big shows never had much time for street musicians. I also remember watching a family of kids play there as well on pier 39. Every one in the family played some kind of fiddle, the oldest son played bass fiddle the rest played fiddle while the youngest one played 1/4 size fiddle. They would have huge crowds. I did jam with them some. I think they lived in Sacramento. I played down by the create slugs on the corner just pass Ripleys across from where they sold the crabs. I first met Love in New Orleans In '83 or '84. He was riding a bicycle on Royal St. passing out his now famous 22 dollar bills,just before he got busted. I have mine in my Jeep trunk that has all my memorabilia. I'm sure I've got a lot of them stashed there from over the years,if you'd like a few. One thing for sure I always made enough money there to get a little weed,some beer, and get laid once in a while, over on that black sand beach across the Golden Gate bridge down to the left where there was a navy or army barracks.
Old 09-10-08, 10:20 AM   #5
jeep caillouet

Default pier 39

B Man,The first time I met you was the summer of '81 Your were this big time juggler and I was just this funky banjo picker. I remember talking to you and watching your show but I didn't play there, that was for the big boys.Big shows never had much time for street musicians. I also remember watching a family of kids play there as well on pier 39. Every one in the family played some kind of fiddle, the oldest son played bass fiddle the rest played fiddle while the youngest one played 1/4 size fiddle. They would have huge crowds. I did jam with them some. I think they lived in Sacramento. I played down by the create slugs on the corner just pass Ripleys across from where they sold the crabs. I first met Love in New Orleans In '82 or'83. He was riding a bicycle on Royal St. passing out his now famous 22 dollar bills,just before he got busted. He want work in New Orleans any more for that reason. I have mine in my Jeep trunk that has all my memorabilia. I'm sure I've got a lot of them stashed there from over the years,if you'd like a few. One thing for sure I always made enough money in San Fransisco to get a little weed,some beer, and get laid once in a while, over on that black sand beach across the Golden Gate bridge down to the left where there was a navy or army barracks.
Old 09-10-08, 10:29 AM   #6
jeep caillouet

Default Sorry

Sorry I posted twice!
Old 09-10-08, 01:43 PM   #7
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Guitar Where's the Lone Ranger when you need him?

Jeep,

You and I need to get together... wow, you remember a lot...

Quote:
a family of kids play there as well
...would that have been "The Love Family"? (they had huge crowds)

Quote:
I played down by the create slugs on the corner just pass Ripleys across from where they sold the crabs.
that spot is famous ... I started out there as well before the Cannery let me in ... the smell of fish still makes me want to juggle.

Quote:
I've got a lot of them stashed there from over the years,if you'd like a few.
Absolutely...Yes! I would LOVE to have some of the original bills ... send to:
Robert Nelson
P.O.Box 6869
Hilo, HI 96772

... I have talked to some of the San Francisco old timers and they all say it's such a different scene now ... very scary.
Old 09-10-08, 05:41 PM   #8
Lee Nelson

Default wow can you feel it

they see eachother across the net
two old timers totally at ease with what they have achieved
the butterfly flaps his wings flirtatiously
jeep has seen it all before
respect
a connection is made.

or maybe butterfly has just forgetten everything that happened for 15 years and needs to be told what he did.

Whatever....I like it
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 07:52 PM   #9
jeep caillouet

Default black dude

Is that black dude that sits on that bucket and scares people still there?
Old 06-01-09, 04:53 PM   #10
martin ewen

so as to the summer of 09
Is San Francisco workable?
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 09:23 PM   #11
nick nickolas

Martin for you... anywhere is workable,

You'd love it

Nick