performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 05-21-12, 08:40 PM   #21
Chance

Actually that's not the case at all. State and County fairs are 100% public property and are therefore public Free Speech forums. So are college campuses. So-called private property pitches such as Fanueil Hall, Fremont Street, San Diego Zoo, Baltimore Inner Harbor, Yankee Stadium, etc., also qualify. I realize that private security will try to run you off these pitches, but that doesn't make it legal for them to do so. It's just a test to see whether you know your rights and have the stones to stand up for them under direct pressure.

In the case of fair grounds (or other taxpayer funded venues), they must always allow you to fly pitch as a walk-in. It may be a pit, but they at least have to give you something, even if it's without proper notice. And if you give them fair notice (eg, 90 days advance notice) they must actually provide you with a suitable venue (rent free) as described by you in your synopsis. So if you tell them that you require a space 80'x120' with a solid dry floor, they must make it available.

Everything I have just said is 100% accurate. But don't ask me for citations. Most of you guys don't believe me anyway. It sounds too good to be true. So look them up for yourself just like I had to. It's the only way you will know for sure. The sense of power it will give you during your next encounter is beyond words.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 08:52 PM   #22
circusboy90210

Default believe???

I believe you because I have bothered to do the research which cooperates your info. I can't believe there are peformers who are willing to swallow the lies festival orginizers & police tell you about you have no rights in an event.
circusboy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 10:14 PM   #23
Mad_hatter

In response to the original poster I don't believe there are a lot of places in NC that would have busking permits. However the cops may decided that what you're doing constitutes panhandling so a few performers I know recommend getting a panhandlers licence.

The idea that busking is a form of free speech and one shouldn't have to go through proper channels is silly to me. You're not some guy on a soapbox with something to say. You are a business there to push a product like every other vendor. Your product is your act. All the vendors there are competing to get money from the limited pool brought in by the attendees. They paid for the right to set up shop. And its thanks to the vendors that there is even an event, they're funding it. You have a right to push your product, you don't have a right to skip the rules. Its thinking and acting like that that makes folks think of busker as beggars.
Mad_hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 11:22 PM   #24
circusboy90210

Default mistaken and hurting your own cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_hatter View Post
In response to the original poster I don't believe there are a lot of places in NC that would have busking permits. However the cops may decided that what you're doing constitutes panhandling so a few performers I know recommend getting a panhandlers licence.

The idea that busking is a form of free speech and one shouldn't have to go through proper channels is silly to me. You're not some guy on a soapbox with something to say. You are a business there to push a product like every other vendor. Your product is your act. All the vendors there are competing to get money from the limited pool brought in by the attendees. They paid for the right to set up shop. And its thanks to the vendors that there is even an event, they're funding it. You have a right to push your product, you don't have a right to skip the rules. Its thinking and acting like that that makes folks think of busker as beggars.
all forms of art are forms of speech. the vendors are not the reason for the event the art & music is the event which bands would do for free if they had too. it's thinking like this that keeps buskers in events and paid for our work even. a community event includes everybody including buskers who are merely expressing themselves and providing phsycic value for the community who in turns gives them brea & water(money). it is a symbiotic relationship and nobody I know relates busking to begging except the vendors who have no real life talent other than hustling people out of money using cheap trinkets.

beggars usually don't get to see all of the usa & canada by begging but busking does so buskers are not beggars ,.
Old 05-22-12, 08:35 AM   #25
Peter
Unused member

Mad Hatter, never argue with a fool. People may not be able to see the difference. Circusboy thinks he is a constitutional lawyer.
Old 05-22-12, 09:06 AM   #26
circusboy90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Mad Hatter, never argue with a fool. People may not be able to see the difference. Circusboy thinks he is a constitutional lawyer.
I know enough to keep me out of jail, so perception is reality. the only fool I see here is one who is calling a person they don't know a fool. i can bet I've hit more pitches in a year than you've hit in a lifetime.
Old 05-22-12, 12:09 PM   #27
Peter
Unused member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy90210 View Post
I know enough to keep me out of jail, so perception is reality. the only fool I see here is one who is calling a person they don't know a fool. i can bet I've hit more pitches in a year than you've hit in a lifetime.
Wrong Igor. You're shooting off an orifice telling people to do what pisses off people about buskers. Some idiots crash festivals like you do, and then when we, the real buskers, try to work that festival, we get told "why pay your fee, we have a guy working for free." IF and it is a big IF you had any talent you would be on the circuit charging for your abilities. My fees run from $400 a day up to $2000 for a week long fair. I get these fees because I do EXACTLY what I promise to do. I attract the crowds. They come to see my shows. I put on 2 half hour shows and then I work the crowds passing the hat doing sidewalk shows. That way I get my fee plus I get an additional $100 to $150 per hour for every hour I work the crowds.

Pepole like you pretend to entertain but all you do is screw it up for the real buskers
Old 05-22-12, 04:26 PM   #28
circusboy90210

Quote:
Wrong Igor. You're shooting off an orifice telling people to do what pisses off people about buskers. Some idiots crash festivals like you do, and then when we, the real buskers, try to work that festival, we get told "why pay your fee, we have a guy working for free." IF and it is a big IF you had any talent you would be on the circuit charging for your abilities. My fees run from $400 a day up to $2000 for a week long fair. I get these fees because I do EXACTLY what I promise to do. I attract the crowds. They come to see my shows. I put on 2 half hour shows and then I work the crowds passing the hat doing sidewalk shows. That way I get my fee plus I get an additional $100 to $150 per hour for every hour I work the crowds.

Pepole like you pretend to entertain but all you do is screw it up for the real buskers
I am the real busker. buskers don't charge fee's read the definition of what a busker is. you are a paid entertainment not a busker if you charge any money for your services. I worked a mall bringing in over $5k in my pocket for 2 years so what I don't care how much you make. lots' of event want us to pay to busk that's why I crash events like every other busker i know who travels for a living. tyvm & gb hope that works for you.
Old 05-23-12, 01:12 AM   #29
Chance

Peter, my daily festival rate is about quadruple what yours is since you brought it up, so I guess that should qualify me in your eyes even if nothing else does. But that isn't what makes me right. Stating the plain facts plainly is what makes me right.

We're on opposite sides of this discussion only because one of us has spent the last 15 years studying the issue and fighting it out in court with various government agencies (and winning) and the other one hasn't.
Old 05-23-12, 02:48 AM   #30
Mad_hatter

Quote:
all forms of art are forms of speech. the vendors are not the reason for the event the art & music is the event which bands would do for free if they had too. it's thinking like this that keeps buskers in events and paid for our work even. a community event includes everybody including buskers who are merely expressing themselves and providing phsycic value for the community who in turns gives them brea & water(money). it is a symbiotic relationship and nobody I know relates busking to begging except the vendors who have no real life talent other than hustling people out of money using cheap trinkets.

beggars usually don't get to see all of the usa & canada by begging but busking does so buskers are not beggars ,.
I did not say the vendors were the reason, I said they funded the event. People come to see the entertainment, and they spend money on vendors, the vendors in turn pay the organization that's putting on the event for the right to sell things, and the organization pays the entertainment. That cycle is what make the event possible. You take out the vendors and the whole thing shuts down. The organization also pays for the permits to host the event, insurance for the event, and they may even have to pay for use of the land. To reap the benefits of that without putting nothing in yourself is parasitic act.

I've seen very few buskers do anything that could be called art, I'll go so far as to say I've seen more art in those cheap trinkets than I've seen in most buskers. I've not seen your act but I bet any clown could do it. But Peters right arguing with you would be like playing chess against a pigeon.
Old 05-23-12, 06:04 AM   #31
Peter
Unused member

Chance, I have been on the circuit for a long time myself and have seen your name come up a lot. The good thing is every time your name comes up, EVERYBODY has only good things to say about your act and how nice a person you are. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-23-12, 11:19 AM   #32
circusboy90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_hatter View Post
I did not say the vendors were the reason, I said they funded the event. People come to see the entertainment, and they spend money on vendors, the vendors in turn pay the organization that's putting on the event for the right to sell things, and the organization pays the entertainment. That cycle is what make the event possible. You take out the vendors and the whole thing shuts down. The organization also pays for the permits to host the event, insurance for the event, and they may even have to pay for use of the land. To reap the benefits of that without putting nothing in yourself is parasitic act.

I've seen very few buskers do anything that could be called art, I'll go so far as to say I've seen more art in those cheap trinkets than I've seen in most buskers. I've not seen your act but I bet any clown could do it. But Peters right arguing with you would be like playing chess against a pigeon.
yes I'm a clown & went to Ringling clown college. however big deal if any clown can do what any other clown can do. you are making it seem like being a clown takes no talent. however no removing the vendors does not make the event crash. events can happen without vendors and there are many that do exist without cash.
Old 05-23-12, 02:31 PM   #33
Chance

Quote:
Chance, I have been on the circuit for a long time myself and have seen your name come up a lot. The good thing is every time your name comes up, EVERYBODY has only good things to say about your act and how nice a person you are. Keep up the good work.
Believeing me (or not) doesn't change facts one way or the other. Facts are facts. We're all ignorant about something, but staying willfully ignorant is detrimental in more ways than one.
Old 05-24-12, 11:51 AM   #34
Mad_hatter

Quote:
however big deal if any clown can do what any other clown can do.
If any one can do it then it's not art. Art is unique to the artist.
Old 05-24-12, 01:16 PM   #35
circusboy90210

Default art is art..

art is art no matter how many times it's copied, or how many different people do the same thing. a balloon dog is balloon art everytime to every 2 year old or to every 80 year old everytime it's done. you seem to have alot of hate in your heart . I wish the best for you. being a clown is a very complicated thing and just because any clown can do balloon art does not mean everyone can be a clown , or a balloon clown much less even do step one of being a balloon artist. (thousands of people have tried to inflate a balloon ,260q, and only a handfull have even got past that first hurdle. god bless you
Old 07-13-12, 02:47 PM   #36
Kazoo

You need to check the city ordinances for where you are and the county or provinces ordinances for permits. My city doesn't require them they have some rules you cannot sit or stand on the sidewalk or right of way as to disrupt traffic (I'm in a wheelchair its okay for me to sit on it), you cannot ask people for money or have a sign asking for money or initiate a conversation (you can passively collect tips) and otherwise must be not a nusiance (drunk, belligerant or otherwise an issue). You also must on paper play a musical instrument and/or sing but in reality any act is fine if its not dangerous to others.

In the county you get get a permit to solicite on the street and have that be sidewalk performing collecting tips and I have that with the background check and fingerprinting. Its another layer of protection.

But really you need to find out ask the police and if they can't help you inquire with the local charity legal aid society or other party. I usually find many places have no issue with it but you must be savey.

Hope this helps.
Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote