performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 11-23-04, 12:50 PM   #21
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Butterfly a trick I learned along the way

Put some vasaline petroleum jelly on your hands and then wait about 20 minutes ... it's like wearing gloves ... without gloves.
Butterfly Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 11:04 PM   #22
pablo

Default Margaritaville here I come!

Yuck, I hate cold weather.

Maybe I'll leave my wife & kids and go to Key West.

Or maybe I'll stay here and get one of those 9 to 5 jobs that everyone else has.

Or maybe not.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 01:18 PM   #23
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Cool cold ... you don't know the meaning of the word.

Hey ... why not come here? ... in Los Angeles you can be miserable with beautiful sunshine everyday.
Old 01-03-05, 12:36 AM   #24
harmonicakev

Guitar busking dock square

Happy New Year all; had a great time working Dock Square, (the other side of Faneuil Hall) on New Years Day. It was so warm that I was sweating. Got to see Jason the ecape artist from NYC do his show. I really liked the way he handled a mean heckler, i.e. nonchalantly, without drawing extra attention to the guy.
According to Steven Baird's web site,

http://communityartsadvocates.org/saahistoryBoston.html

the City of Boston has promised a federal judge that they will no longer enforce the old anti-street performer regulations. There will be another hearing soon, either in January or February I think.
Realistically, it is unlikely that outdoor busking will be possible again until late February or early March. Even the subways are tough this time of year. Ciao. Kevin Mc.
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 11:36 PM   #25
harmonicakev

Clown Boston Phoenix article

An article in this weeks Phoenix about the recent civil suit against the street performing laws in Boston at this link:
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/...s/04383305.asp

OR pick it up free from a box if you live around Boston. Kev Mc.
Old 02-04-05, 12:36 AM   #26
Mark Wessels

Default the new boston

Hey boston folks,

I know it's still frigid and snow covered but I am eager as hell to hear about what's being tried and what's working as far as newly legal pitches in Boston. This could really make Boston a decent city to busk in. Someone keep us posted.

See you perhaps this summer,

Mark
Mark Wessels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 03:11 AM   #27
harmonicakev

There is still lots of snow, but it was pretty nice out this Saturday(2/5), 46 degrees F when I had to leave Dock Square to go to a gig. Not as busy as I thought it would be..someone, I think Dave the Juggler, was working Quincy Market's West end...and I think Cesar from Inca Son was working in front of the NE Aquarium. I don't know what that S. American instrument is that sounds like a flute, but I definitely heard that sound coming from the aquarium area.
I'm not sure where any other big circle pitches might be; there is plenty of room up at government center. Musical acts used to work there alot in the late 70's, early 80's, 'til Mayor Flynn got tired of the Jimi Hendrix guy, and started kicking everybody out.
Iwas talking about this with another performer recently, and I've heard many reports about musicians on Newbury Street, but I'm not sure where. Anyone have a clue?
Also, it strikes me that the plaza at Copley Sq. may have potential both for music and big circle acts.
I'm not really sure what the permit situation is. There were supposed to be some negotiations during the last week of January, but with the blizzard and the little storm in the middle of that next week, it's hard to say what's happening. I would guess that they may be requiring permits at some point.
Old 02-14-05, 07:39 PM   #28
teeloo

Default contortion street performing?

Hi,

I was thinking of street performing in Boston/Cambridge this summer as a contortionist. Never seen it before, but I'm primarily an aerial performer, and that doesn't work for busking

Anyone got any thoughts on whether it would work or not?
teeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 07:46 PM   #29
stickman

Canada Bendy Em

http://www.bendyem.com/

Lovely young lady who's got a great contorsionist show.

Stickman
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 11:00 PM   #30
harmonicakev

Default where are Boston performers?

"There are more (unofficial/sometimes enforced, sometimes not) pitches around Boston... The Common, Newbury Street, Marketplace Center. And I didn't even touch on the extensive Subway scene...(Music only) but my hands are getting tired of typing. I'm sure the other Boston guys will add more...." (JIM)

Where are the other Boston performers besides myself and Jim? maybe in Florida? too bad you're missing all that snow. Maybe they don't have computers? try your local public library.
I'm still curious about Newbury St., in fact the entire Copley Square/Back Bay area. Has anyone seen any busking activity there in years past, and if so where?
and once again, for more information than you thought existed on ordinances, spots, lawsuits etc., go to Steve Baird's web site
communityartsadvocates.org
Still not sure if I really NEED a permit to busk in Boston; we'll find out soon enough.
Old 03-08-05, 11:32 AM   #31
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb

Hey Kev,

Yeah... If this new ordinance thing is really true, I can't wait to do a show at Copley. That's a mega pitch I've been watching for 15 years. I have no idea how I'd work it, but I can just feel a huge show there.

Also, the waterfront is starting to look good with the highway all gone now. There are little green spaces popping up all over the place.

I look forward to seeeing how this all works out.
Old 03-10-05, 02:06 PM   #32
dave buchanan

That's an affirmative on Copley Square, Jim. I worked it New Year's Day, inside of the fountain, which was shut off for the winter. Massive show, and great energy. Of course, the Park Rangers politely shut me down. But they won't be doing that this year, will they...

I'm not sure how it would be as a regular pitch, but it's worth a try.

Let's all share info on Boston pitches -- with the recent ruling, there will be more than enough to go around.
dave buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 04:06 AM   #33
harmonicakev

Default deja vu?

Spring 2005 Enforcement practices continue to stop performances in City of Boston

I (Stephen Baird) was stopped from performing at Sam Adams Park aka Dock Square on March 30th
Jason Gardner was stopped from performing at Sam Adams Park aka Dock Square on April 2nd
Jason Gardner was stopped from using amplification at Boston Common on April 2nd
Gazzo the Magician was stopped from performing at Sam Adams Park aka Dock Square on April 3rd
Daniel Denney who was with Gazzo was also stopped from performing at Sam Adams Park aka Dock Square on April 3rd

ABOVE is from www.communityartsadvocates.org

affadavits protesting this latest harassment were filed with the federal court, since the case from December is still open. Buskers beware - Kevin M.

Last edited by harmonicakev; 04-28-05 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-16-05, 04:46 AM   #34
harmonicakev

Default Boston Globe story

there is a story about street performing in Boston in this Sunday's Boston Globe - Kev
Old 05-16-05, 04:48 AM   #35
harmonicakev

Boston Globe ran story on Street Artists Federal Law Suit and issues:

Internet version of story:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/mag...the_music_play

Ciao - Kev
Old 05-17-05, 01:02 PM   #36
unclescam

Send a message via AIM to unclescam

is there an up to date view on bostons availability and different spots?
i hear folks are working around the market.
any hassles? on the waterfront?
the common? coply square or kenmore?
information please? last i see of actual working is new years and stevens list of shutdowns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arto.jpg (12.0 KB, 812 views)
unclescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-05, 04:08 AM   #37
harmonicakev

Default Sue them?

Hi Uncle Scam - a street musician was shut down on Newbury St. about 2 weeks ago, and was told by a police officer to never play there again. With all the rain, it's hard to say what else has been going on. the subway is fine!

I heard an interesting rumor, that Faneuil Hall Marketplace Management is booking Sam Adam Park a/k/a Dock Square.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 05-30-05, 10:54 AM   #38
gazzo osborne

No Kevin they are not booking Dock Square as yet
gazzo osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-05, 12:47 PM   #39
harmonicakev

Default Boston update

Hi everybody - happy 4th!
Just an update on Boston from my own personal experience...........I was on Newbury Street (Back Bay) on Friday night, and before setting up I saw 1) a solo classical guitar player who had 3 or 4 different CD's for sale and 2) a jazz quartet - drums, stand-up bass, electric guitar and sax......
and then we set up...accordion / mandolin duo.
Money was not great, but outside of Quincy market, busking has never been particularly lucrative for this musician....and it's not getting any better, but that's another thread...
I would imagine that classical guitar guy might do okay selling cd's.... also, I quit fairly (9 pm) early, and it was still plenty busy; I was just too tired from gigs earlier in the day.

Has anyone tried Copley Square during the day?
Ciao - Kev
Old 07-10-05, 10:13 AM   #40
Juggalicious

Send a message via AIM to Juggalicious
Default boston

street performing is getting exciting
Juggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote