performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 05-15-08, 05:43 PM   #1
Irina

Default Ireland?

Hi, this is Irina, New Orleans face-painter. I am contemplating a trip to Ireland for a couple of weeks in September, and I would greatly appriciate any advice on pitches, going through customs, rules of street performing, dealing with local cops, best hostels etc etc. If you live in Dublin and could rent me a room - it would be awesome! You can post here, or e-mail me directly. Thanks a lot!
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 04:25 PM   #2
charredgorse

I live in Ireland and I'd say that if you want to have a good time head to Galway city. It's much better for street performers as the main street is pedestrianised and there's a lot of performers there. Basically it's a city full of hippies! It's a lot smaller than Dublin and has a much better vibe. Strangers still smile! Besides, Dublin has lost its charm...Check it out anyway.

I don't even know the laws about busking but we've done it here a few times and no one has ever said anything to us, including passing police. I think you just have to move to a different place everyday but across the street I'm sure would be fine and I doubt it would be enforced anyway.

Hope this was some help! Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-03-08, 04:17 AM   #3
miquee

hello, i too will be in ireland for a few weeks in july and would like to know the scoop. specifically dublin. specifically, where are the pitches? when are the prime times to play? (i do a circle show) any useful info?

As to the thread below about galway you say "it's full of hippies and there are lots of performers already there" ...those are two reasons not to go... not that i have something against hippies but they are not usually big spenders in my experience. what does lots of performers mean? 20 statues and and a flute player? 20 circle shows all of which have a three torch unicycle finale? 20 people playin the guitar and insulting those that pass by?
if you could elaborate about galway a bit that would be cool. pitches? where? prime times?

any info is appreciated and feel free to e-mail me privately

cheers
mike
Old 06-11-08, 06:03 AM   #4
Irina

Well, from what I know it's Graffton street in Dublin (I am not sure about spelling). It's pretty much "free busking zone", from what I heard.

I always wanted to go to Ireland, I really love the music, and poetry, and the Druids, and I would love to spend some time travelling accross country just to soak in some culture and fall colors.

I wonder if anybody 30+ is going to be there in September who wants to rent a car and run around. I do not drive, but I will pitch in for gas, - and I am looking for some local modern day gypsies who could rent me a piece of a couch in a hippy house ... By the way, are there any 420-friendly hostels in Ireland, like Green Tourtoise in SF or Seattle? Let me know, pleeaese!
Old 06-11-08, 12:33 PM   #5
jeep caillouet

Default hippies

Aren't hippies an American thing? Like maybe San Francisco '60's era.
Old 06-11-08, 02:49 PM   #6
Irina

Hippies are alive and well, just go to any jamband festival, you'll see tonns. Ever been to a Rainbow Gathering?
Old 06-11-08, 06:06 PM   #7
toddvarious

Ass there is no galway

there is no galway. there is no pitch. there is no money in galway and it is not a good idea to even try. on the other hand, if you want to enjoy what real irish are all about, then and only then would you want to go to galway. if you're ready to sit down, slow down and have a good pint then, go to galway. if you are thinking of going to galway with some form of big circle show or something of that kind don't bother. It is a good small town that does not have the capacity for circle shows. I love that city. it is my sanctuary. the last thing that city needs is a bunch of hungry performers trying to milk the city of its money. unless you're there to take it easy please leave this city alone. sincerely, todd various.
toddvarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 08:14 PM   #8
nick nickolas

Todd, tell the truth,,, Galway is good,,, but can't handle a mass of performers,,, It's as simple as that ,,, innit Todd..
Nick
p.s. Cork is shit,,,, lol
Old 06-12-08, 03:35 AM   #9
toddvarious

Default true

it was big enuff for jonny. it was big enuff for j.p. puppet. and it is big enuff for todd various, but not at the same time. this town should stay quiet. the locals deserve it.
Old 06-12-08, 03:47 AM   #10
Lee Nelson

Default Locals yokels

Its a free market economy. Go to Galway. Maybe youll be lucky and youll be one of a few. More likely youll be the one that doesnt have cheap accomodations so cant stick it out and wait for all the other buskers to leave.

Fun town though. Great shows. Just not when 3 other people have the same idea.

Lee
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 03:50 AM   #11
toddvarious

Default if it wasn't for

if it was not for galway and its good times i would not have met lee and many other performers.
Old 06-12-08, 02:22 PM   #12
Irina

Have you ever seen face-painters or sketch artists working on the streets in Galway? From what I heard, they do allow busking shows for tips, but do street artists need any kind of licence to be able to charge a set price -or we are supposed to work for tips also? Do they ever check what kind of visa you have? Thanks!
Old 06-13-08, 11:04 AM   #13
jeep caillouet

Default Hippies

Irina,, I'm the hippie from hell, and have been to a lot of rainbow gatherings. Heck we use to have a New Orleans camp that went there every year. Oh, and I've worked in New Orleans off and on for the last 30 years. That's where I learned most all of the street trades ( Busking) Ask around most all buskers there know me.In fact I'm full blooded coon ass, as I grew up there. peace
Old 06-13-08, 11:06 AM   #14
jeep caillouet

Default P. s.

Hey Todd what's up? When ya coming back to Key West?
Old 06-13-08, 01:39 PM   #15
toddvarious

Default hi jeep

answer your phone and you would know. i try to call you now and then. send your number to toddvarious@googlemail.com to make sure I am calling the right person. oh I am coming to kw on the 7th of january to put 60 days in the books.
Old 06-14-08, 02:01 PM   #16
jeep caillouet

Default new #

305-923-1602 but keep the old # I have 2 #'s now 305-304-6820 Call the first # for now,your friend.