performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > THE GREEN ROOM > BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

Old 05-10-01, 11:38 AM   #1
Jim
Your Host

Default The Now 'WORLD FAMOUS' Jim Show!

Well Folks,

I have been in Rome for about 48 hours (and it's freakin' amazing) and today I visited the Pantheon. After admiring the piazza outside and wishing I had my props, I made my way inside. After about two minutes, I was approached by a young woman and her family and she asked, "Excuse me are you from Boston?" I didn't know her but I cautiously said... "Yes" and then she says... "You're The Jim Show! I saw you perform last summer."

I couldn't believe it. I was wearing a hat and had my face in a guidebook and she still recognized me.

It's official, I'm now 'World Famous.' Crap, I have to rewrite all my promo...

See ya'll,
Jim
Old 05-10-01, 09:44 PM   #2
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hat

This sounds like a great idea for a thread ... unreal places where people recognize you.
My best was while getting on a ski lift in Tahoe wearing a ski mask so that only my nose was showing and this little 11 year old punk sits down next to me and says "aren't you the Butterfly Man?" ... I don't think he hurt himself though as it was only a short fall.

Have fun Jim ... watch out for Christians!
Old 05-11-01, 04:14 AM   #3
Peter Voice

The first time I went to Edmonton ('91), some-one kept yelling out "Hey, Magic, have you still got your Bulldog No. 37?". I played pro football (Aussie Rules, mostly minor league) for 7 years (ending 16 years prior), my nickname was "Magic" and I wore No 37. Six times in ten days it happened and I never did figure out who it was.
It still bugs me no end.

[This message has been edited by Peter Voice (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old 05-11-01, 05:34 AM   #4
Chance

Sorry to rain on your parade, Jim... but so far this phenom has happened to me in every country I have visited. For example, last October while in Israel and after just my second show (and I only did about ten total) someone asked, "Didn't I see you in Clearwater, Florida about three years ago?"

If you can make your way up here to Vienna before going home I'll treat you to some local beer and grub. I think they call it sushi.

Can't wait to see pics of your trip.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-01, 06:44 AM   #5
Prof Willie B

Really, "Sushi" makes the cheapest, shittiest beer. If I were in Italy I'd be drinking "Moretti" most times, but you should try "Peroni" too. Try to taste "La Rossa" but the ultimate find is "Splugen Fumee". All go well with fresh baked bread, tasty vegies, cheese and stuff.
Oh God, is that pizza?
Shit, it sounded so healthy there for a bit.
Prof Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-01, 11:26 AM   #6
Daniel Forlano

The best beer in Italy is imported from Belgium. Italy is wine country!

------------------
stitches
Daniel Forlano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-01, 01:54 PM   #7
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Scot

The best women in Italy can be found in Dino Lampa's Palm Pilot!
Old 05-12-01, 05:26 AM   #8
Jim
Your Host

Yeah, someone should start a new thread about strange places they've been spotted.

P.S: Chance, That also happens to me every place I *perform*, but the difference here was I was just in plain clothes and a hat looking like a tourist. I was inside the Pantheon... I hadn't just finished a show. I think that's a bit different. Anyway, it made MY day.

Jim
Old 05-13-01, 03:51 AM   #9
DRaven

Cool

It should make your day Jim!

Seen you perform your show will trigger memories and associations that will allow people to recognize you. The fact that they recognized you without that triggering means that you left a pretty deep, long lasting impression. Good for you!
Old 05-13-01, 07:03 AM   #10
Prof Willie B

Of course, all the super-stars of our industry are constatly hounded every where they go. chance never has a moment's peace where ever he is. Perhaps it's his reputation.

[This message has been edited by Prof Willie B (edited 05-13-2001).]
Old 05-14-01, 05:29 AM   #11
Chance

Well... that would have been 1996 in Ottawa, when I was walking down the Sparks Street Mall dressed like a tourist and I felt a tap on my shoulder. A man was there with his son, and asked was I the guy from (again) Clearwater. They had seen me about 3 months earlier. You are right -- it does make a difference, and it does tend to make one's day. Or in my case, the past five years, as it has never happened again quite that way.

FYI... sushi is not a beer. It is the funny way the Japanese like to prepare raw fish and rice.
Old 05-14-01, 06:51 AM   #12
AJJames

Cool

Hey Jim, good to hear you're out of Boston and out on the road,(why didn't you bring your props?) oh well ,there's always next time, atleast you were recognised ,,don't listen to Chance he get's recognised cos no-one could forget such a traumatic experience as watching his show ,they say that bad experiences stay in the memory banks far longer than good ones.
anyway about Italy ,the guy who told you to go to the small towns is dead right, como is especially beautiful, I once caused a riot there when what started as 2 or three locals interpreting a conversation with the police on my behalf became 30-50 locals surrounding 5 policemen shouting like maniacs,insisting that I should be allowed to perform,in the end the police issued me a fine of 200,000 lire but told me off the record that unless I had an adress in Italy ,it wouldn't be enforced,
anyway enjoy Italy, go to Verona and while your near there go to largo de garda, hire a scooter ,see the mountains...you'll love it
AJ

Old 05-14-01, 08:16 AM   #13
Prof Willie B

Gosh, chance, I didn't know.
And to think, I thought Perignon was mineral water, too.
Old 05-14-01, 09:08 AM   #14
Chance

Question

...you mean, it's not???
Old 05-14-01, 12:27 PM   #15
Jim
Your Host

Chance, Prof, etc...

I didn't want to start an argument, I was just relating a neat story right after it happened.

I actually meant to post it in the 'Hype yourself Blatantly' thread, but I messed up and accidently started a new topic.

Damn Italian keyboards....

Jim
Old 05-14-01, 04:24 PM   #16
jester

Clown

I wish I could recognise Chance if I saw him because he is keen on guns and I upset him once already so I would avoid him.

I'd love to rain on your parade Chance.

Well done Jim. If I get recognised in my local supermarket by a local person I am thrilled to bits, so if I was in another continent and somebody recognised me I would be very very pleased about it.

Good for you.

Now I know you didn't want any arguements but you won't deny me a little pop at Chance now would you?

jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-01, 02:34 AM   #17
Chance

Ass

**That** was an argument?? Jesus, am I the only one around here with any skin left at all? In real life that exchange would have taken all of 3 seconds and would have been immediately passed by; on the internet it somehow becomes theatening and worthy of protracted insults. F**k people, get a life!
Old 05-15-01, 02:52 AM   #18
Prof Willie B

God you guys are funny, especially the stupid one.

[This message has been edited by Prof Willie B (edited 05-29-2001).]
Old 05-16-01, 01:15 PM   #19
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Cool

"Being famous is only a gift to those that do not possess it."
- Paddy Bramwells
Old 05-28-01, 09:13 PM   #20
Dead Wood Records

Bloody Marvelous

I come on here for the first time in months and all I see I a buch of idiots BRAGGING
abouyt being spotted by some-one somewhere.

Golly gosh, how f g wonderfull I suppose
if you were really some-one, say a movie star or something that you would spend half your pathetic little lives telling every-one thta some-one recognised you?

Pathetic, Pathetic, I reallt thing that you guys should go and get some therapy. every-one is taliking about Jims holiday as some great big deal.

Jasus it's almost like reading some Beano comic, let alone hearing Jim going on about how exited he is about running his site from the internet cafes., Boring Boring Boring.

But as for Chance I reckon he's the worst one
he loves to think every-one loves him that sees him but those people who cross him twice should keep an eye on their possesions.

Let alone their pussys!

Chance would shag your own mother to make a freind out of you.

Beleive me.

PS: If you see Chance and recognise him do the right thing go up to him and punce his lights out for me.

Spoook

Dead Wood Records is offline   Reply With Quote