performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > THE GREEN ROOM > BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

Old 01-20-02, 07:40 AM   #1
LUCKY DIAMOND RICH

Default 10 WORST STREET ACTS

recovering button pusher,

LDR

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Lucky Diamond Rich ]</p>
Old 01-20-02, 08:56 AM   #2
Stretch

Saw the Donkey in '99 and again in 2001. I think he might be Korean with an English language skill deficiency.

My questions include: how does one live on the proceeds of such an act?

Would "love of the art" REALLY compel some one to do this kind of act? Or is there another reason? Like penance, or a curse, or ?????

Or is this act handed down to to ones' immigrant family members as they arrive one, by one over a period of months. As language skills improve, they move on to better things?

In other words WHY!!!!!?????

------------------
Walking tall and stretching imaginations!
Bill 'Stretch' Coleman

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-02, 11:15 AM   #3
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Lightbulb

The rat guy in Cambridge. Must see!!! He's one of the gutter punks in harvard sq. Puts plastic straws in his mouth and places rats on them. The rats always fall off. Back me up here, Peter, Dan.
Old 01-20-02, 12:09 PM   #4
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Butterfly

"Mysterious Stan" was the worst street act I ever saw. Not only did he never escape from his chains (no gimmicks), he would fall to the ground and writhe until his clothes were covered with dirt & drenched with sweat. I once saw him fall on cement and tear a huge gash in his chin ... the show got better because there was blood all over him.
Old 01-20-02, 09:01 PM   #5
Julia

Arrow

Hang on there Richie, didn't you just encourage Scott to go out there and keep doing it?
I reckon I am gonna contradict myself and say a couple of things that might not make sence to some people, but what the ...
There are a few people out there that perhaps should be concidering other cariers, like the*crateslugs* in San Francisco, cos maaaaan, they really hassle you for money, not in a nice way, on the other hand people like Woolfie (may he rest in peace)should in my book not be compared to the cratesluggs, He tried to give beauty, and sometimes he succseeded in doing so, on the other hand i find the soldierman on James street quite crap myself, but you should see what goes on in San Francisco.... then you'll know what bad is, i am not saying you havent seen it all, but I am just lost for words....

Anyway its getting too confusing now and I reckon people like Rumple deserve credit, in my oppinion anyway.

Later,
Jewels

www.nothingimpossible.net
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-02, 11:02 PM   #6
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Butterfly

And then there was "Perry, the Hobo Clown" ... that guy (hired by Finkle for one year only -was it '88?) could rival any act in poor hygiene ... Remember how the children would get too close, smell his breath, then back off? I loved watching the parents figure out it was not an act.
Old 01-21-02, 12:37 AM   #7
Humanoid Gone Mad

Send a message via ICQ to Humanoid Gone Mad
The Donkey is still at the Quay, I saw him a couple of years ago lfirst and now I'm back in Sydney and he's still doing the same nothing... Dink Dink with hgis bell all day.

Umong other things I do interactive staute but hey what some of the statues do would really fucking bore me ..like the donky. But each to their own you know.

Theres a guy in Fremantle, Australia. (He's what you would call a few snaow flakes short)But he's a nice enough guy , any way he watches all the shows all day and then at the end of the day he'll get out on the pitch and mimic everyones show. If theres been someone doing a crate stack he'll do crates.. The scary thing is he gets crowds and some times money probablly out of pitty more than any thing...

Also I saw a busker in Jakartar who sat next to drum which he bashed with a stick and in the other hand he held a chain that was about 3m long which he gigged back and forth. On the other end of the chain was a Baby monkey that held a tin can and staggered around in a circle collecting money from people. Thats got to be the worst show I've ever seen. It was also the closest thing I saw to busking while I was in Jakartar except for the guitar Beggers that hassel for change in car windows.

Theres a guy at the Quay in Sydney at the moment who plays tunes on a xilophone that he's made out of glass beer bottles filled with different amounts of whater , I only saw him setting up I havent heard him play.

And there used to be a crazy guy in Perth, Astralia that would Fuish down drains in the mall and play the saw with a bow which was prity cool..!

One of the things that really gets me is when parents take their kids out to play music or sing or whatever and basicaly pimp them on the street I've seen quite a few kids that dont seem to really enjoy it but their folks push them out there as far as busking goes thats a bit sad I reccon...

Humanoid Gone Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-02, 10:01 AM   #8
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Hey!

Perry's here in NO
Old 01-21-02, 10:40 AM   #9
Mr.Taxi Trix

There used to be a guy who sang Sinatra unaccompanied, through a kid's amp and mike, in Times Square. Undeterred by his lack of musical ability, if you met his eyes, he would belt it To You: kind of disconcerting. He did it his way.

He was persistent, and usually had no crowd, but sometimes people would stop to watch, like you can't resist watching someone hit their thumb with a hammer.
Repeatedly.

He was doing what looked like a buck over minimum wage, at the time. Awful as he was, I loved him just belting it straight into their apathy and dissaproval.
There was mischief in his eyes: I may have loved him. But that's another thread.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-02, 04:01 AM   #10
Moth Man

Hat

I don't know if this guy qualifies as "the worst street act" because he was actually so good at what he did ... he whistled classical music (the real thing, no joke)... his name was Jason Serinus and he was really into it ... what made it so ludicrous was that he took it all so seriously (crooning emotionally into the mic n' such).
I casually offered a suggestion once that perhaps he should make himself a giant canary costume and a huge cage and do his act swinging from a perch ... he never spoke to me again.
Moth Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-02, 07:21 AM   #11
Peter Voice

The Sinatra guy was at the 1st Toronto Circle Ball Fair in '93. I sort of liked him he was so bad he was cool but could never figure out if it was actually an act or not.

I also saw a guy (for a couple of weeks) in Melb. who sat and fished in a drain, I didn't see or hear about any saw playing though.

I wouldn't mind nominating "Bill, the balloon man", as my #1 worst. Originating in Adelaide this purveyor of rubber products sprung from obscurity in 1992 after writing to several major Aust. newspapers (and others) complaining about the international performers who were working without permits at Adelaide Fringe Festival and thus depriving him of his living selling bags of his own hot air. He caused considerable difficulty for many people. I last saw him in Melb. hawking his latex mediocracies to reluctant children. He calls himself a "Busker", he can be sort of slick, does wash his clothes and I personally think he's the worst I've ever met or seen.
I've seen lots of shit but it's mostly a matter of were it's coming from.

On a lighter note, there's a violinist in Melbourne who's now getting rather old (70's), a post WW11 Hungarian refugee, he's been playing badly since the 70's at least. Always wears a suit, sometimes tux, nice guy and he makes a bit. He's sort of like the Sinatra guy, so bad you love him but I can't help but think, sometimes, that he goes home and plays like an angel.
Old 01-22-02, 09:28 AM   #12
Triona

Talking

There's was a guy who used to be just on the other side of the children's zoo in Central Park (NYC)who used to wear dirty jeans and t-shirt with an American flag sequin vest. Problem was he was a good technical juggler, but no act. He used to do a bit with a raw egg where he'd have an audience member toss him the egg and then juggle it, dropping it at the end to show it was raw. One time he had a kid throw him the egg as sort of a test run, then he threw it back to the kid to do the bit. Unfortunately the kid wasn't paying attention... I've learned alot about what not to do from watching this guy. I think he moved to Canada or something.
Triona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-02, 12:10 PM   #13
Danny Hustle

I've seen it and it isn't pretty.

But,I still think my magic show is the worst thing to see in Harvard Square. Where else can you see a grown man wearing a bathrobe pull a signed silk from a stuffed racoons butt? All for a buck!

Hmm..maybe I should talk to Rat boy about a franchise..

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by scot:
The rat guy in Cambridge. Must see!!! He's one of the gutter punks in harvard sq. Puts plastic straws in his mouth and places rats on them. The rats always fall off. Back me up here, Peter, Dan.
Old 01-22-02, 08:41 PM   #14
Mark Wess

Love

Ugg, rat boy in harvard square. *shudder* not only is he awful but he once tried to sell me his rat. I wonder if the people at Dunkin Donuts get tired of him stealing handfuls of their coffee stirers. The greatest experience of my life was the day that rat urinated on his face. Quite a sight to see, I dont believe I've ever seen that expresion before. I think i gave him a buck that day.

mfw
Old 01-23-02, 06:21 AM   #15
LUCKY DIAMOND RICH

LDR

Old 01-23-02, 08:11 AM   #16
Peter Voice

LDR, I'm glad you remember Bill, many others do.
I wasn't picking on Lolly, like the Sinatra Guy, I like him, but you've got to admit he plays badly, is as sly as a fox and makes money. How can you play violin for more than thirty years and not improve?
As for Simon, he's not the only person who has been or is called a little shit bag. I believe he lost his teeth about 3 years ago and there are a couple of versions of how that came about. I'm told you know more about it than I. Didn't Darren suffer sudden dental problems (along with a broken instrument) about the same time.

Simon, for all indications, has been drug free (or of very modest and discreet indulgence) for at least 2 years, and has/is developing a good show.
When did you say you joined NA?

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Peter Voice ]</p>
Old 01-24-02, 03:37 AM   #17
LUCKY DIAMOND RICH

LDR

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Lucky Diamond Rich ]

Old 01-24-02, 06:17 AM   #18
Peter Voice

I've got to mention a couple of other really bad acts.

The guy on the corner opposite Churchill Square in Edmonton. Each year he would pick up on the new thing he saw at the fest and his attempts to emulate it actually backhandedly served as ad for the festival. I don't know if he's still around but he was certainly persistant.
"Fearo", the rola bola guy (Edmonton,'90). 3,4 and legend hints at 5 tubes (sometimes multiple boards). He got up there, looked scared, then got down again. Start and end of act. No show at all (after a few days of the other performers trying to help him develop his unique skill into a real show, he disappeared). My stepson (Larry Isaac) used one of his boards all fest. in '92. It is among our most prized memorabilia.

In Melbourne, we have the "Guitar Slug", this guy turns up mostly in Swanston St., downtown but sometimes in my local secret. He brings 2 or 3 guitars, usually customised by himself (the brush painted zebra pattern, the juggling club holographic pattern contact plastic stuff, etc). He brings his dog, what appears to be a large part of his bed room (doona, pillows etc) and about 40 music books.
I've seen this guy possibly 400 times over 18 years, I've heard him play about 32 bars of ?music (about 16 seconds).

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Peter Voice ]</p>
Old 01-25-02, 10:31 PM   #19
LUCKY DIAMOND RICH

LDR

Old 01-26-02, 04:29 AM   #20
peterpanic

well, now, theres a good idea! after having a few too many he can always wheel himself home like a duke!

i suppose if you want to pursue this topic you have to go to barcelona. the ramblas is a mile long pedestrian avenue that slopes down to the sea. there are statue mimes up and down but the best is a real statue of chris colombus at the bottom. he is standing there, pointing out into the uncharted mediterranean, fixed on the horizon, thinking to himself: india is that way!

i saw a russian kid from my balcony one day and ran down to talk to him. he said he left his wife and the moscow circus to hitch-hike to spain to seek his fortune. he was mainly a ball spinner. he easily did 3- meaning ball on ball on ball, all spinning on his finger.
i said- thats amazing!
he said- thats nothing! - i can do four!

i watched how he did it. he wore a glove on his right hand. the index finger of the glove was reinforced, with a point or a nail sticking out. it gave him a michael jackson-esque look. he did not care. nor did anyone else. people tend to ignore you on the ramblas- they are used to it.
he would spin the first ball on the spike. the second ball he SPUN onto the first. this is key. most times you see people drop the second ball. the third ball was also spun in the same direction onto the second. the three are now going good. he is loading from between his legs. he spins the fourth ball-disaster.
i help him as his balls bounce away. it was like being a cold war spy. the balls were rubber, of various sizes and with painted spots.

i show him one of my balls. he spins it and declares- this is no good ball.
i say- yes but i can juggle with 5.
he says- so what? in russia we have juggler who does with 7!
i have heard of this guy. he loads from a harness on his hip like ignatov with rings. still- this kid was getting on my nerves.

next he holds four spikes in his right hand. they are about 2 feet long and look a little like umbrellas. with his left hand he spins and transfers 4 balls to his right. then 2 balls onto a mouthstick. then one more ball on the left. this is 7 now, spinning along pretty good, and he does a back roll.
he comes out of it nice, but they start to wobble and then they go everywhere. we both chased after them but there were so many- some people had to help us...i mean him.
he explained that the 7 ball back roll was meant to be performed on a stage, with a curtain. you do the move, then you walk offstage to thunderous applause before the thing falls apart.

i said thats nice- now i am going back to watching from my balcony. peter spintastic
peterpanic is offline   Reply With Quote