performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 08-07-08, 06:14 PM   #1
Unisykolist

Default How much is considered alot of money

I make on average $110 per day (2.5 hours of pure work) Australian dollars.

What do you guys make and what is considered alot or a decent amount? (I think $110 for a kid like me is great! But forget that))
Old 08-07-08, 08:16 PM   #2
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

the most that most people make is $75 / day. You're doing better than everyone.

From Michael Shermer's site
Quote:
Would you rather earn $50,000 a year while other people make $25,000, or would you rather earn $100,000 a year while other people get $250,000? Assume for the moment that prices of goods and services will stay the same.

Surprisingly ó stunningly, in fact ó research shows that the majority of people select the first option; they would rather make twice as much as others even if that meant earning half as much as they could otherwise have. How irrational is that?
Old 08-08-08, 02:44 PM   #3
jeep caillouet

Default $$$$$$$$$

Scot how many dollars can a dog collect in an hour on a busy day?
Old 08-08-08, 11:12 PM   #4
Isabella

Hey, that is doing well for someone young and new

Generally, people don't share how much they make until they are friends with someone, and even then, you have to be pretty close. So it's not the world's most polite question to ask.

Income depends on a lot of things, too - are you doing cold street or a festival, are you at a busker festival that tends to be one-time audience members or a renaissance or community event where you have fans, are you also selling merchandise, etc.

So it's a little bit like asking how long it takes to write a book

There's a great theory on Gaping Void (www.gapingvoid.com) about Cash and Stuff. That is, when you're younger and newer, it's OK to make less Cash in exchange for Stuff (exposure, a chance to practice, good video footage, etc) but as you get older and more experienced, you need less Stuff and want more Cash. So as you keep performing and developing your act and character, it's not about shooting for a specific dollar amount, it's about increasing your Cash:Stuff ratio.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 04:40 PM   #5
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Thumbs Up and when you get really old= cash/stash ratio

Quote:
it's not about shooting for a specific dollar amount, it's about increasing your Cash:Stuff ratio

good advice ...
Old 08-09-08, 06:28 PM   #6
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

I don't think about income in terms of per hour or per day that much. I tend to think of things in terms of per week, month and year. Think, "am I able to: cover my bills feed myself, save for an emergency, have some fun, and invest a significant amount back into my company on top of that?"
My income goes up every year, and so does my overhead. As I get better and more qualified to work in "higher end" markets, I have to spend a lot more to be represented professionally in those markets, right down to the clothes I wear when I'm not performing.
Keep one eye on what you are doing now and make sure you are doing it well, and one eye on where you want to be tomorrow.

Very few variety performers break the six digit annual income mark.

if you are a kid now you might think about saving your money up toward some training. circus school!

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com

Last edited by Evan Young; 08-10-08 at 02:16 AM.
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 02:30 AM   #7
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

and I know it must be frustrating that nobody has posted a direct answer to your question. In person I would tell you, but it's bad form to post things like that in public..... but six years into street performing my average is greater than yours. You have bigger hats to look forward to in the future as long as you keep working on your show.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 07:12 AM   #8
Mr.Taxi Trix

I remember after the Goshen Fair, sitting at a vacant picnic table, stacking coins to count. I had received damn few bills, but had performed many shows. It was my first full day of street performing. The coins came to a total of $87. Enough to survive easily. A huge grin overtook me, and I remember saying "I'll never work again".

Good luck, and if you want more money, talk about money more. But keep it funny.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 08:20 AM   #9
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus

As someone many of us know would say (in an Australian accent):
"You don't wana know mate."

"an honorable and decent human being"
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 01:10 PM   #10
Daniel Craig

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Craig

Well geoff...

Of course I don't wanna' know! What d'ya expect...?
Daniel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 02:37 PM   #11
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hat you can't handle the truth

You want honesty? I'll give you honesty ... 75 bucks a day is squat ... as my grandmother would say, "it's a piss in a bucket!".

You want me to lug all my shit to my van and drive to some street corner and lug it out and find a place to park and set it up and tear it down and go get the van and lug it back and drive it home and put it away for a lousy seventy-five fucking dollars!?

Kiss my ass!

However, if you add a zero...

then I'm interested ...

...real interested.
Old 08-10-08, 04:30 PM   #12
Rachel Peters

And for future reference, never listen to scot unless he's giving website advice or talking about himself. Those are the only times he doesn't attempt a strange, unfunny form of sarcasm which maybe works in person, I don't know, but doesn't work when new forum members are asking for advice.

I agree with Isabella.
If it's worth it to you and meets your standard or living, go for it. Build on it.

www.rachelpeters.com
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 02:15 PM   #13
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

yeah, but I was trying to make him feel good. you were trying to make me feel bad.
Old 08-11-08, 02:20 PM   #14
Rachel Peters

no you weren't.
and i was trying to make you aware (in case you weren't) of this thing you do where you tell people the opposite of what you mean, which doesn't translate well into type, and does not make people feel good.

www.rachelpeters.com
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 04:40 PM   #15
Mr.Taxi Trix

I was trying to make him feel that though the sands will doubtless shift again and the tides a new tale tell, there are some things on this planet, things like birdbaths, plungers, and style, that cannot be traded for an ox cart or a wind chime.

I hope it worked.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 04:46 PM   #16
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Lightbulb Rest in Peace

Butterfly Manís Estate Planning

Unlike most fathers, I donít care what happens to my son after I die Ö after all, Iím dead. Who gives a shit what he thinks? My wife too, fuck her Ö she saves every fucking penny for her ďretirementĒ. Whatís THAT? Retirement is not fuckiní working. That means Iíve been retired since I became a street performer cause everyone knows that ainít work Ö itís simply a way to get laid. So hereís the best financial advice I could think of:

Donít save for shit Ödonít invest in shit. Old people die with hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings accounts and investments every day. And who gets it? Thatís right Ö their kids or wife or who-the-fuck ever Ö it donít matter Ö THEY didnít get to spend it cause they HAD IT WHEN THEY DIED!!!!!

Tips:

#1. Donít own Ö rent Öand never fuckiní move as long as they donít raise the rent. Do it a rent controlled area Ö youíll never be happier than when you invite people over and tell them what you pay each month and they shit themselves.

#2. Borrow as much money as you can from banks and other lending institutions. This will be tough but it can be done. Maximize every account and only keep enough money on hand to pay the monthly minimum.

#3. Never, repeat, never, get a life insurance policy or make any arrangements for a funeral or anything stupid like that Ö let other people worry about your dead corpse, who gives a ratís ass what they have to go through?

RIP
Old 08-12-08, 12:54 AM   #17
Daniel Craig

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Craig
Default Re: you can't handle the truth

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterfly Man
However, if you add a zero...

then I'm interested ...

...real interested.
0.75..?

Daniel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 10:31 AM   #18
Stretch

Default define - evaluate - set goals - practice - evaluate

Quote:
I make on average $110 per day
7 days a week? one day a month? weekends? See, it all depends.

Is that an average of $1 a head? Or do you have an audience of one that drops a $100 bill and some pocket change into your hat?

Is it about what you ARE making, or what you WANT to make while having fun? Or is it about what you want to make no mater how much it hurts?

Or is it about NOT doing what you hate to make that kind of money. If the alternative is mowing lawns and you HATE mowing lawns, then does it really matter?

More questions lead to more meaningful answers.

I'm sure you could make more money. Do you want to pay the price? How well do you know yourself?

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 12:38 AM   #19
Daniel Mooncalf

Default My scale...

Was "Did I make more today, than I would've at my day job? In less time?"

If the answer is YES, I'm happy about it.
Daniel Mooncalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 05:36 PM   #20
lambda

It's really hard to say what you would consider a lot of money, because it all depends on what you're doing it for. If you're just doing it a day or two here and there for some fun and extra pocket change, then a hundred bucks in a day can feel pretty good. If you're trying to do it as a profession, then it all depends on how much you need to make to support your current lifestyle, how often you're able to put in that kind of performance, how much your expenses are, and so on.

Lets say that, adding up both your personal expenses and performing expenses, you want to make a reasonably modest $30,000 a year (I'm talking in US dollars, since I'm USian). That's a bit above the median personal income in the US, so I'd say it's not too unreasonable a target (though it may be on the high side for a performer; I'm not sure, since I'm not a professional performer myself). Remember, of course, that this is before taxes, and includes all of your performing expenses, such as equipment, promotion, travel, etc.

Now, there are 52 weeks in the year. Of course, you're going to want to have a couple weeks of vacation time (some people may love street performing enough to consider it all a big vacation, but most people, even those who love their jobs, need a break from it every once in a while). And you're going to need some days off for times when you're too sick, busy with other things, or whatever to perform Also, depending on the climate where you live, there may be a few months in the year when the street is not an appropriate temperature or weather for performing, but we'll assume for the sake of argument that you're able to move north for the winter, find a good indoor pitch, or just freeze your balls off and get sympathy money from people passing by. So lets say between sick days and vacations, you spend 4 weeks not working. We're down to 48 weeks. That means you need to make $625 per week.

You won't be able to perform every day. You need to spend some time practicing, some days will have bad weather, and since most people make money with paid gigs as well as the street, some of your time will be taken up with all of the things that entails, like keeping in touch with people, working out schedules, billing people and nagging them incessantly until they actually pay you, working on promotional materials, etc. Also, you're probably going to be able to make the most money on weekends, so days other than the weekend may not be worth the effort. Between all that, you'll probably only be able to get two or three good days a week. In those two or three days, in order to make your target income, you'll need to make $200-$300 a day. Now, there will be ups and downs, so to make up for the bad days, you'll probably want to be making closer to $400 before you consider it a really good day.

Now, of course, there were a lot of assumptions in all of these calculations, so you need to check those assumptions and figure out what works for you. I know some people who are perfectly happy on $12,000 a year, and some who could not even imagine getting by on less than $60,000 a year, and so if you're in one of those groups, you can adjust the numbers accordingly. Or if you can perform a good, solid, 5 days a week without burning out, then you'd need considerably less per day to meet your goals. Or if you have a lot of expenses, because you spend all of your time travelling to festivals, buying fancy new equipment and costumes, and spend a lot of money on promotion, then you'll need considerably more than this. But this should give you an idea of how to think about the amount of money you make, and whether it will meet your needs.
lambda is offline   Reply With Quote