performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 08-24-08, 05:07 AM   #1
Unisykolist

Default Getting ready to do "Circle" instead of "Walk-by" busking, neverous and unsure &

Very soon, I am recieving a 7 FT 3-wheeled unicycle
(What!? a 3-wheeled unicycle! A Trycycle? 100% of all people have reacted like this so far)

Picture of the Three Wheeled Unicycle-http://www.unicycle.com/images/catalog/chaindriven/UNN3WHLR-1003.jpg

I plan to practice juggling clubs on it while idiling. But first I must tell you what I can already do.
I can do lots of unicycling tricks as you can see on www.youtube.com/unisykolist
and I can also do lots of juggling tricks and combined these together.
Rite now I am doing Walk by busking and I am riding my 5FT unicycle around while juggling 3 balls.

So now I plan to have a go at Circle busking to attract a crowd and Money!
I am nervous and don't really know where to start.

-Could I have some advice and tips?
-How much more would i make if I do Circle busking (I'f its a pretty good show that I put up)?
Old 08-26-08, 06:24 PM   #2
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

this is for comfort:
create a short show. Script it out completely from beginning to end. and plan it so it's good throughout, then, go do it when pedestrian traffic is slow. you won't get much of a crowd, but you'll get through your first few shows.

knowing exactly what you're going to do always helps with stage fright. striving for a small outcome will relieve the stress some.

No matter what, you're gonna fail alot. It's going to be punishing, but that's not why you do it. You do it for the success. When I'm doing something new, I imagine myself as a little kid. I want to succeed and the pain, etc I go through to reach my goal means nothing. All i notice is progress.
Old 08-27-08, 08:40 AM   #3
jeep caillouet

Default New show

As I'm always trying to come up with something new and improved in my show, I like the idea of the 3 wheel unicycle. I don't ride one or juggle,but I do like the idea of a fat ole fart trying to ride a unicycle with training wheels. "get outta the way, help help". It can see it now,SPLASH,SQUASH, DAMN, I said get out of the way.HA HA I can see it now! I couldn't find the pictures of it, maybe you could explain where to find pictures of it again and where to buy one. What's the difficulty of riding one.Thanks
Old 08-27-08, 10:00 AM   #4
Michael

Jeep on a unicycle. Playing the banjo. I'd pay big money to see that!!!!!!!!! Damn even the dog would laugh!
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 07:52 AM   #5
gav

Default not what you are thinking

Sorry to disapoint Jeep, but you're not going to find this easy to ride.

gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 09:04 AM   #6
martin ewen

It's not about what you can do, more about how you structure it.

It goes beginning, middle, end. the end is the bit where you do that big thing, whatever it is.

beginning, couple of tricks, lots of interaction, direct the crowd, excert authority by doing so.

middle, introduce the 'big thing' , get your volenteers if required, set up the big thing.

end, dismiss help with applause, introduce first money reference, be specific, $5/$10/$20 etc.

Do big thing. whatever it is celebrate it and let them celebrate it.
get down, take hat.

It doesn't matter what others earn at this point, you want a target? Top acts multiple hundreds per show.

But that's after a few years of polish.

you should be happy with keeping a crowd at this stage and look for elements in each show you can improve and change/experiment by the next show.

ps that looks like nigels/mr spins old bike.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 10:18 AM   #7
jeep caillouet

Default DAMN!

Damn Gav you just ruined my new show!
Old 09-03-08, 07:40 AM   #8
mAtMISTAKE

okay i have over the past year been working on polishing and evolving a street show from what once a walkby act, this is what i found:
Generally people want to like you, and they must for the final section of your show to suceed. Beer this in mind when you working on you lines and persona try to always be there friend because they wont work and give you the energy you need and eventually the hat if they think you are a bad person(my opinion).They are there to have a good time, Sounds simple but its easy to be to agressive or pick on someone to much and you will lose that conection with you adience and alot of control. You can be mean and cutting if yo want there are many performers whos shows and character are based around that but the best still maintain a sense of playfulness, thats its all a game and you are really just there friend mssing around with them.
I now this lacks and real direct adive for your show but i think that it is a important thought to consider and try to enforce while working.
bottom line
have Fun
mAtMISTAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 01:00 AM   #9
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Scot Butterfly Man is 2 standard deviations from the mean

Basically you are speaking of what I call the "L" factor ... that is the likability factor ... a good example is our illustrious administrator ... he has a likability factor somewhere in the top 99%tile ... a modern day Lawrence Welk, if you will.

Martin Ewen, however ...
Old 09-09-08, 01:14 AM   #10
martin ewen

Lurk

you and me both! We're the exceptions that prove the rule.

Although i must say we attract a better class of groupie.
We're the guys you love to hate to love.

being a clowns clown means if you don't have any in your audience...no-one laughs.

Last edited by martin ewen; 09-09-08 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 01:14 AM   #11
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hey! You'll hate me for this but...

Unisykolist, my man, you are a veritable one-wheeled wonder.

Here is gonna be your biggest problem... too many tricks that you feel you just HAVE to show because you worked so goddamn hard learning them. It's a big issue with technicians, like yourself.

Here's the answer ... ready?

Do the 1st show without ever getting on the unicycle.
Old 09-10-08, 09:57 AM   #12
Lee Nelson

listen to the man
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 01:32 PM   #13
jeep caillouet

Default Too much

Most all musicians play every lick they have ever learned in one song when they are just starting out. But we soon learn the less you show them the more they want to see. The really good musicians don't use all them rapid fire notes to get the point across. A little twing here and a little twang there can go a long ways. And damn't I worked years to learn all them licks. So here dit dit dit dit dit dit dat dat dat dat dat doopidy doop doopidy doop doo-oodleat...
Old 09-28-08, 02:22 PM   #14
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Guitar You're pickin' ...I'm grinnin'

Ain't that a Lester Flat base run?
Old 09-28-08, 04:49 PM   #15
Rachel Peters

Nah, I think it's the song from "Friends".

www.rachelpeters.com
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 08:54 AM   #16
jeep caillouet

Nah, the Beverly Hillbillys! And B Man thats that's Earl not lester.
Old 10-09-08, 05:02 AM   #17
Unisykolist

Default Re: New show

Quote:
Originally posted by jeep caillouet
As I'm always trying to come up with something new and improved in my show, I like the idea of the 3 wheel unicycle. I don't ride one or juggle,but I do like the idea of a fat ole fart trying to ride a unicycle with training wheels. "get outta the way, help help". It can see it now,SPLASH,SQUASH, DAMN, I said get out of the way.HA HA I can see it now! I couldn't find the pictures of it, maybe you could explain where to find pictures of it again and where to buy one. What's the difficulty of riding one.Thanks
www.unicycle.com- to find picture
And the difficulty,
If you can already ride a small unicycle you need to learn, well it helps, to know how to ride a standard giraffe like a 5FT then you can just take off on a 3-wheeler but friction feels a bit funny at first.
Old 10-09-08, 05:10 AM   #18
Unisykolist

Default Update

I went "walk by" (I know again...) and busked everthing thing the same on my 3-wheeler for 2.5 hours and made $160.00

But I did get some advice from a clown that once did Magic Shows (circle busking) and his career is busking and his at the place pretty much everytime I'm there. He was saying jazz it up a bit like dress as a charachter and build up a show to the finale and attract an audience, still haven't got the balls to do this yet, and I also don't have the ACTUAL BALLS (juggling balls) because the other ones are crap and breaking. I have to get round to it soon..>.<
Old 06-22-09, 11:05 AM   #19
Devinthejuggler

I have recently just made this transition myself with great results.
I got a couple of tips from a very good busker friend of mine:

don't start your show too soon, don't start showing tricks until you have a wall, or a small group of 'guests'
building a crowd has been the part of my show that I have put the most energy into becuase it is by far 'in my opinion' the hardest part.

during the crowd build, its kind of the art of doing absolutely nothing but still being entertaining couple of techniques i have used with varied success are:
not saying anything (with some music playing if u have an amp) and doing mime type comedy, like some following (imitating) for some reason people think this is hilarious if you can do it well. things like for example fake hand shake where you look at someone wave, walk up to them with your hand stretched out then as they are about to go into the handshake walk straight past them.
one can be very creative with these teqniques. then once you have a couple of onlookers start to tell them the show is about to begin.

the funny thing this is all part of the show, but keep telling them the show is about to start and it hasn't started yet. your first tricks are 'just warm ups' and the show only realy begins in the middle when you start to set up your final trick (in mine and your case a trick on the massive unicycle)

have a good list of jokes that go with every trick you do, my experience is if you have a trick thats awesome and no joke to go with it people don't care really, unless its frieken amazing not just the latest siteswap that blew your mind.

keep your shows short in the beginning, working from the back to the front such as just building up your finale with a small crowd, then adding in the beginning 'warm up tricks' to build more of a crowd.

things that are essential in my opinion:
1) eye contact: make eye contact with everyone that has stopped to watch your show, hopefully while you are saying something hilarious. it's like turning on little lights in your audience, it pulls them into your world.

2) smile, if you don't look like you are enjoying yourself, your audience will find it hard to enjoy themselves.

3) don't take anything personally. when you start and you are still trying to figure out a plan and a formula that works there might be times when the audience says things(true story) like : 'is that it? is that the show?' and just walks away leaving you greatly humbled with an empty hat in your hands.

I had an experience like that on venice beach promenade last year, I thought 'what the hell are you doing? go home and find a job. i tried to do a show after these guys had just nailed a massive show that was planned out every step of the way.

4)keep a book with you and write down everything you think is remotely funny and try turn it into a gag. think about the tricks you are going to do and think about how you can say something funny about it.

5) relax and slow down. something i still have a problem with today, I want to rush through everything, and get out as many funny things as possible in the shortest possible time. people can smell fear and anxiety and it doesnt put them in a mood to watch a show.

Good luck!

Devin.
Devinthejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 03:46 PM   #20
martin ewen

Lurk

very sound advice, you have a good grasp of the important underpinnings.