performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 08-25-08, 03:48 PM   #1
jeep caillouet

Default Mallory Square, Key West,Fl.

Mark Riggs was reinstated to work at Mallory Square yesterday by the board. He was the first super act that worked in the Plaza here. That is he was the first act that could attract the entire square for his shows. His one night hats was bigger than a lot of the other performers weekly hats. Nearly every performer that worked Mallory Square has learned some thing from him, and or uses his lines or his show format. Some people just used his show for there's. He was busted for drugs a few years back and the board at that time kicked him off the pier. He is clean now and done all his legal stuff and probations. This current board determined he was wrongfully terminated and he was reinstated. This story and it's spin off stories will be around for a while. In other words the shits gett'en deep in Key West! From a lot of us welcome back Mark.
Old 09-04-08, 02:13 PM   #2
RINGON

Gotta tell ya, Jeep. That's not quite the way it was, hmmmm. Mark, learned alot from many of the acts out there. Anyone can change. I wish Mark all the best.
Old 09-04-08, 04:07 PM   #3
jeep caillouet

Default Your right

Your right in many ways Don, I was working in NOLA in the middle 80's as a clown tying balloons at the entrance to Jackson Square, Chartres and ST. peter St. Michael James was across from me doing the most incredible act standing on the very top of a 8 ft. free standing ladder,juggling! He drew hugh crowds. Looking around I started noticing this guy(Tom Morrison) always hanging out sitting on his motorcycle. He'd get a call on his walke talke and leave then come back later. He was a messenger/delivery boy. By the way Michel is the only person that I ever saw do that stunt,most just cross over the top rung. Next thing you know Tom's got a set of juggling balls, then clubs, then a ladder. Tom practiced 10 12 14 hrs. a day for years trying to master that routine. And he became very good at it as well! I saw him do, this. Mark Riggs came along in the mid 90's. He saw me playing music in front of the A and P. and said to me "you mean anybody can do THIS" He then hooked up with Tom because Tom practiced all day every day. Mark learned HIS show and delivery as well. Next thing you know balls,clubs, unicycle ,and ladder it's showtime. Mark later came to Mallory because he new I worked in the Winter. Michael James use to work Mallory in the late 80's early90's. Will Soto Would put Michael down by the Wall, where the key house was when You, Gazzo, Mark and Casy got in to it, before the key house's time. Man this was the weeds, and you where just lucky if anybody came pass Dominic and his cats. You might could do a show for15 to 25 people. There are other great acts that could tell the story of working in the weeds at Mallory. Most of these great acts don't come to Mallory anymore! Now that we have a new and improved Mallory Square we have a plaza area ,as you know. Mark was the first act that worked the plaza that could draw nearly every person off the pier and pack the plaza. We all waited for Mark to finish because he had the whole crowd.Because of the seniority thing new comers now get the best spots in the plaza, we have to fill the pier first, which are smaller spots. Most of us old timers like the pier best ,because we get the best sun set crowd. Mark is one of the most talented performers to work Mallory. and nearly every performer that watched him learned something from him. Heck Alex did his routine word for word for awhile. But then, I remember a time when You, Michael Patrick, and Rondini all 3 did the same upside down escape act from a tri pod. Damn that must have been a good joint, I've rattled on here for an hour. I think I'll go have another beer. Come see us some time. Did you ever sell that tri pod?Toodleloo
Old 09-04-08, 08:53 PM   #4
RINGON

Wink

I remember being at the end of the dock for the first year I performed in KW. Summers, no keys, Will's call. I was happy any day I performed. You could learn so much, just being there. I worked very hard and sometimes smart. I was always writing. The small bullshit stuff was to few and I made the mistake of taking things too personally. I am very greatful for the humillity shown to me by Rondini, both. and Mustafa and sometimes you Jeep. Mark's back, good for him, I hope he makes the best of it. In short, Mark was good, I've seen better. Hey, David Hassellhoff is a judge on America's got talent. Anyone can change. Good luck.
Old 09-05-08, 10:29 AM   #5
jeep caillouet

Default change

Dang, I wish I could change!
Old 09-05-08, 01:46 PM   #6
RINGON

Love

Jeep, Last of the Big Time Nice Guy's. No reason to change.
Old 09-17-08, 08:19 PM   #7
toddvarious

Default that was....

... a very interesting storie. I ws unaware of the beginnings but new of the end. please say hello to mark for me. I'll see you guys on the first of the year. and i'm bringing a ten foot ladder this time.
toddvarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 04:27 PM   #8
Storm Surge

Does anyone have a copy of the checks will soto wrote in the busker fest? you know the ones that weren't any good?
I want one for my memorabilia collection.
Storm Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 02:11 PM   #9
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Send a message via MSN to Dallas
Default that article about Will and the event, is a trip...

Although not all, but almost everyone has skeletons in their closet. Will's Hill is exactly that, WILL's HILL!!!!

Will Soto, Jeep and Michael Patrick are the ONLY reason's I'd ever left my GRAVY BOAT and went South.

It sucks that they don't publicly invited Michael back and apologize for kicking him out. No drugs involved, No stealling of money involved, no record at all, and was thrown out by the same people that allow others with these ,to "head" the organization.

I'm no Saint!!! And everyone knows that, but come on...Michael deserves justice!!!!!PUBLICLY

I've been going to Key West for 16 years now.SIXTEEN! And because I have never been there for a CONSECUTIVE 30 days (or whatever it is) I still pull out of the bottom bucket. But yet, when anyone of you from Key West have ever stopped by Pier 60, I have openned my doors and welcomed you with open arms. Kinda sucks to be me...

I love coming down and hanging out, I loving doing shows on Mallory, but I HATE most of the crap one must deal with after dragging your gear to the "Kiosk"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again, Bad Press for Key West and Mallory Square. Sorry to hear it. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...52a1eed9ed2ebf

Things here are FANTASTIC!!!!

Hope to see ya'll soon,
Dallas

Last edited by Dallas; 11-30-09 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add link
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 06:33 PM   #10
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default oh...

And I bet Mark won't start crap with Will away from Mallory Square!!! Dude's like a 4th degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-09, 09:14 AM   #11
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default Will Soto

One of the most respected, nicest and admired performers I have met in my 20 plus years of working the Street!!

I'd like to see someone come here and try to take my spot after working here 15 years. I'm more afraid what the "tourists" would do, not myself!!!!!

Longevity is a wonderful thing and jealousy really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-09, 12:44 PM   #12
Storm Surge

Default Soto and Riggs

They both have some time in. They're both drug addicts. Both are jerks. Both are jealous of each other. Both should "retire".
That is my two cents for an open forum.
Storm Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 12:50 PM   #13
gav

Judging by the press they are both getting, they're certainly not doing much for the reputation of street performers in general.
I don't care how long anyone has been performing in one place, it shouldn't give them more rights than others unless they are paying rent for that space !!!
It goes against what street performing is all about.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 02:00 PM   #14
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default but it's not "raw" street

It is an organized festival that just happens to run 365 days a year.
Old 12-01-09, 02:04 PM   #15
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

I have time in, was once addicted to drugs, and am living proof that some people can change without going through a twelve step process.

Maybe I should retire.......NOT!!!
Old 12-02-09, 04:45 AM   #16
gav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
It is an organized festival that just happens to run 365 days a year.
Sorry, I thought 'festival' was just a tag used for promotional purposes.
So the acts get selected, scheduled and promoted in specific pitches and get paid retainers and expenses ?
Old 12-02-09, 10:44 AM   #17
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default let me explain....

An event calls me and wants me to travel 100 miles, stay 3 days and entertain their crowds. This will cost them.

This place and ours, says, we will let you come work, EVERY night, no travelling, no hotel, etc.

You know coming here, that if you wish to perform 365 days a year, you need to get your OWN apartment, figure out how to get to the pitch, etc.

And you also know, that there is much more to these events than a bunch of performers doing tricks. There are vendors (food and other), there is ON SITE security, musical acts, etc. All when combined, NEED to have some organization. This takes time and patience. And many people take the time out of our own busy days to go to meetings, and the like, for one common goal: We want the wheel to spin smoothly.

A band comes out and plays for what seems like 4 homeless people and I am trying to converse with a crowd of 400. They are sometimes very aggrevating and loud playing for those 4 homeless people. And they get a CHECK!!
In the early stages, I'd get pissy about it. Even angry.
Then I spoke with some of the people who visit these events...

And I hate to burst some bubbles here, but a major percentage of the TOURISTS that come to our event, come to the EVENT. It's the whole thing. The loud ass bagpiper, the conch fritters, the juggler, the jewelry and art. ALL OF IT.

Clearwater's festival is situated right next to a covered, $2 million dollar, playground. A few years ago, the city shut down the playground for rennovations. HOLY CRAP!!! I got to see first hand how many people come just for that. NO LOCAL KIDS AT ALL! Sounds like a dream to some, but I'll be the first to say how much I MISSED THEM!

You ask about selection, yes. Whether you know it or not, we as organizers protect our best interest(the wheel) and I personally will watch/listen to each and every act to ensure that your material doesn't offend the families that visit our event. I will ask you to tone it down, and when needed, I will ask you to leave. PERIOD!

We LEASE, from our city, this park for 4 hours every day. And YES, we can say what goes on in this park during these 4 hours. If ours Rules and Regulations, don't fit into your routine, then there is another 20 hours of the day that you can be in a "PUBLIC" park. Invoking your rights and artistically expressing yourself.

For those of us who have chose to make one of these wonderful places our home, we knew this before we even unpacked our bags...YEARS AGO.

It's the people who after a period of time habitating one of these places, that decides that they might be able to make the "wheel" spin smoother and when their idea is, for lack of better words, "shot down". They try to throw a wrench in the "spokes".

Both of our events have been going on for a LONG time. Theirs, twice as long as ours. And if you spent less time worrying about the "wheel" and more about your show, then everything would be great. Granted, things at both aren't "perfect" for everyone and will NEVER be.

There will always be riffs between performers, riffs between performers and vendors, performers and the musicians(not that they aren't performers), etc.

But, if you can put up with us, we will put up with you. 365 days a year.!!!
Old 12-02-09, 12:25 PM   #18
gav

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 12-02-09, 01:12 PM   #19
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default no problem

not a problem.

I have sent acts to Key West and have never sugar-coated anything. I know once I send them, they probably won't come back to Clearwater. The money is better down there. Case in point Storm Surge. One of my best ideas, i gave away, he did a WONDEFUL job here. We miss his act here. But I knew, if he can put up with the "crap" "you'll never come back" and he hasn't. Except for a visit and I understand.

Also, if an act wants to come here and contact me first, I will let you know EXACTLY "how it is".
Old 12-02-09, 02:41 PM   #20
jeep caillouet

Damn, what's all the rucas?