performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > THE GREEN ROOM > CURTAIN CALLS

Old 12-25-08, 04:18 PM   #1
Sora Sol

Default Blackpool Tower Circus acrobat dies after tragic fall

I got to see this wonderful troupe perform while in the UK. My heart and thoughts go out to The Pouzanov Troupe, the Blackpool Tower Circus family, and the Alimov family. If you are in circus, please take care of yourself and take care of each other. This is a huge shock to our community.

~Sora

Date: 24 December 2008
By Helen Steel
AN ACROBAT involved in a terrifying fall at Blackpool Tower Circus pantomime has lost his fight for life.

Rafshan Alimov was performing a daring trick from a springboard when he fell more than 15ft on to his head after failing to make his landing. The 24 year-old Russian fell during the noon matinee performance on Sunday.

Alan Coates, vice president of the Circus Friends Association, said: "Everyone in the industry is thinking of Rafshan's family.

"The Pouzanov Troupe are unique you don't find 10-piece acts of such award-winning calibre any more, and they won't be the same without him.
"

"I've worked in the industry for 50 years and can count on one hand terrible tragedies like this.
"

Shocked members of the audience also lavished praise on the young performer, and the entire cast of the circus pantomime.

John Ellis, who was watching with daughter Kali and granddaughter Mia, said: "The Russian troupe that Rafshan was a part of was the highlight of the show.

"All the children loved it, it was a breathtaking display of daring and bravery.

"It is absolutely tragic that this should happen.
"

Liza Holmes, of Loughrigg Terrace, Mereside, was in the audience with family and friends.

She said: "I was in tears when I found out, I never thought he would die.
"

Sue Needham, of Washington Avenue, Bispham, added: "I remember seeing the acrobat give a cheeky smile before he did the stunt, and I turned to my daughter and commented what a lovely looking lad he was. It's terrible.
"

Mr Alimov was taken to the Blackpool Victoria Hospital following the tragic accident. He was later transferred to special head injuries unit at the Royal Preston Hospital, where he died yesterday.

Old 12-25-08, 07:23 PM   #2
jeep caillouet

I am very sad.