performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 01-06-09, 06:53 PM   #1
elbonko
Casual Observer

Default festival organization help

The city of Lakewood, OH (suburb of Cleveland), is looking to organize a Buskers' Day and came to me to see if I had any idea on how to do so. I said I'd check my resources.

I think they are looking to start small and hopefully grow. I know they don't have much budget at all, however, I'd love to see this eventually turn into a full-blown Busker Fest for the Cleveland area. That way I might get to meet some of you fine people.

So, if you have any advice on how to get something like this started and things they should be aware of, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Bonk

www.AaronBonk.com
elbonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 10:19 PM   #2
jeep caillouet

Contact Dallas at pier 60 in Clearwater,Fl. He reads here daily, and is a member. He started and patterned pier 60 after sun set celebration in Key West.He's really a great guy And could probably hook you up on some really good performers and get you started in the right direction. I'd come!
Old 01-07-09, 07:41 PM   #3
Isabella

Media sponsorship is key. It's really important to get a radio station and/or a newspaper on board.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 08:28 PM   #4
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Thumbs Up Hope this helps...

Street Performers Festival

Requirements:

Your primary concern at this point will be the participation of local government (e.g. mayor's office/city council) or a sponsoring private institution ... their involvement must be clearly defined ... their main concern will ultimately come down to dollars and cents ... how much is this going to cost them, to what extent they need to participate. In short, what do you want them to do specifically, besides just provide the space.

Next will be the technical requirements involved ... this is a generalized cost analysis of the space (where the performances will take place) including sound/light/and stage requirements.

Then specific dates and time's must be proposed ... the primary concern here will be the length of commitment for the city or sponsoring institution.

Lastly and most importantly, there will be a necessity for an advertising commitment ... generally, this also will come down to dollars and cents. This is absolutely essential to making the project known to the public at large.

Preliminary Proposal

Re: Establishment of a Variety Arts and/or Musical Entertainment Festival

Format:

Solicitation and organization of a group of performers to entertain at specified locations according to an agreed upon schedule.

Tasks:

1. Feasibility Study
The purpose of this study is to establish the feasibility of such a program, including a cost and benefit analysis; projected traffic flow; target population(s); seasonal and physical variables; organizational considerations; merchant impact; etc.

2. Program Development

To be coordinated by a Program Manager in conjunction with city management or a sponsoring private institution.

A. Entertainment
composition of acts
performance schedule
pay schedule
contractual arrangements

B. Physical Plant
stage location
site lines
amplification
stage accessories (electrical outlets/light /storage/loading
parking
traffic flow and crowd mobility
signs
advertisement
stage design
Musical instrumentation (including setup and break down)
store access

C. Entertainment Management
solicitation of acts
audition procedures
scheduling
restrictions and regulations
payroll procedures
liaison between business establishment and entertainers

D. Festival Coordination
public relations and advertising
time scheduling
budget
Media coverage (TV /Cable newspapers etc.)
establishment of festival core group

The staffing of the event should be at least three people.

A part-time production assistant

A technical assistant

A line producer/master of ceremonies for the
preproduction work

Street Festival of Festivals

Budget Proposal for Street/Vaudeville Festival (specific #ís deleted)

Total $= ##,###

Marketing= Suggested $#,###.##
paid advert./elect. media
TV & Radio sponsorship
print/press/flyers etc.

Talent= $##.## $### per diem per person

hospitality room/juice etc.
director's fee included

Airfare= (optional) $##.##
$##,## per round trip

Rooms= $##.## Suggest Hotel sponsorship

Production Expenses= $#,###.##
sound/lights/tech/backdrop
events coordinator fee

Operating Expenses= $##.## remaining
the "just in case" fund *

A festival of this nature can be composed of 3 separate elements.

1)An outdoor group performance composed of all or many of the acts involved containing a common theme (i.e., a fire show or large group synchronized juggling demonstration). E.g. (Opening &/or Closing Ceremonies)

2) An indoor venue for presenting evening group vaudeville style performances where tickets would be purchased. The use of an indoor venue is not an absolute necessity for a street performers festival but it has been utilized by many festivals in the past as a way to draw people to the vicinity in the evening hours when outdoor performances become unviable.

3) A series of outdoor performances scheduled on a variety of stages. Outdoor individual and team acts make up the main bulk of the festival. The most effective use of the daytime acts is to array them on a series of stages between noon and the early evening hours. The acts would alternate each performance to allow for the flow of traffic between each stage.
Old 01-07-09, 09:14 PM   #5
Chance

Quote:
Originally posted by jeep caillouet
Contact Dallas at pier 60 in Clearwater,Fl. He reads here daily, and is a member. He started and patterned pier 60 after sun set celebration in Key West.He's really a great guy And could probably hook you up on some really good performers and get you started in the right direction. I'd come!
It is true Dallas has done a lot to carry on the nightly Pier 60 event tradition (which was/is patterned off the famous Mallory Square event in Key West).... But it needs to be said that Dallas had NO PART WHATSOEVER in how the event began. In fact this event was at least four years old and already well established before Dallas passed his first hat there.

Again, this is not meant to disrespect Dallas in any way. I've never worked beside Dallas but we do have several mutual acquaintances, and by all accounts Dallas really is a very nice guy. I do hope to finally meet him one day and buy the guy a beer! But to give Dallas credit for 100% of the ground work laid there by dozens of people (from Pam Peleen -- the person who really got it up and running -- on down) that came years before him is to disrespect THOSE people far more.

Just to keep the record perfectly straight, the order of buskers that opened that pitch should go in this order: Dextre Tripp, Wade Henry, and myself. Dextre worked that pitch before any of us, and Wade and I began the same winter -- which if I remember correctly was 2 or 3 winters after Dextre started. Of the 3 of us I was the only one that worked year-round full time; the other 2 were seasonal. This accounts for nearly the first 5 years of busking at Pier 60, and Dallas had not yet joined in. As far as I know none of us just mentioned ever shared a pitch with Dallas during those early times.

But Pier 60 has come a long way since those early years and Dallas HAS BEEN right there anchoring that pich ever since. He deserves all the credit in the world for the work he has done, which is considerable! Keep up the good work Dallas, just let people know you didn't really do it all on your own!

Last edited by Chance; 01-07-09 at 09:34 PM.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 10:27 AM   #6
jeep caillouet

Default any chance

Sorry Chance I used the wrong word, started. I would of used pie a neered but couldn't spell it.By chance, you know just who started sun celebration?It for sure wasn't me, but I have performed here 23 years. Any chance you ever worked here? The first person I remember doing escape here was Tim Eric then Rondini and then the list goes on.
Old 01-08-09, 12:20 PM   #7
Chance

Actually Jeep, I have quite a bit of history with Key West. I even went to Key West High School for my Sophomore year.

Back then Mallory Square was still just a wooden dock and Will Soto was stringing a hemp rope between 2 palm trees and having fist fights with the Navy squids on day passes who thought it was cool to harrass the local hippies.

Who started Mallory Square? Who knows? Anyone who says they know for sure is lying. But I was there (mostly looking on, not performing much), so was Will, and so were a bunch of other guys, if only just passing through.

Tim Eric will never admit it, but I'm the guy who tied him up until he cried Uncle -- not once, but 4 times! The first 2 times during his street show, and twice in private once he learned who I was.

Last edited by Chance; 01-08-09 at 02:31 PM.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 10:02 PM   #8
jeep caillouet

Chance I'm sorry I missed you!I'm sure it would have been a pleasure.Maybe in the future?It for sure it was not Will! There is some stories that a couple of guys use to come down to toast the sun set with a bottle of wine. I understand they were the first to make it the thing to do in Key West for sun set. With a little of research I could probably come up with there names.I believe there were a few people who came to entertain them before Will,or Dennis(the bag piper), Bounce and ooh la la, Dominic the cat man, or even Ibashi and sister."bashi" is the Rasta guy that gets out of the small glass box in Boulder now.
Did you ever perform here and if you did what did you do?
Old 01-11-09, 02:53 PM   #9
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default wow

I have never stated that I started this event, but I have been out there for 13 years nightly (except for my fair and festival route). I am one of only 4 paid employees(managers) and on the Board of Directors and The Board for Beachfest.

This place has been very good to me and I love every minute of performing for Thousands of tourists each and every year. I have aquired a huge fan base and have watch people bring there kids to my show who where once kids themselves IN my show.

Now they have built me a beautiful BeachWalk to help organize acts to perfom along.

I am able to perform 365 days a year (weather permitting) on a beautiful beach where no alcohol is allowed and i am set up near a huge playground full of children. Life is good.

I did not start this, but i sure glad someone did!!!!!!

Dallas

I would also like to personally thank the City of Clearwater, for seeing the value of clean family oriented entertainment and treating performers with respect.

The City of Clearwater Police Department for keeping the families that visit our beach safe and giving them good reason to return.

Steve and Lisa and everyone else for making Sunsets what it is.

Thank all of you!!!!!!!

Last edited by The Amazing Beaumanz; 01-11-09 at 02:58 PM.
The Amazing Beaumanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 01:46 PM   #10
USA BREAK DANCERS

Butterfly Man your the man! That info on how to organize a festival is priceless.

Yo Dallas what up?
USA BREAK DANCERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 11:42 AM   #11
elbonko
Casual Observer

Yo Butterfly, thanks for all the info--greatly appreciated.

i'll be sure to post if this festival goes though and maybe we can get some of y'all to head over to Cleveland.

-Bonk

www.AaronBonk.com
elbonko is offline   Reply With Quote