performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > THE GREEN ROOM > BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

Old 02-15-09, 06:11 PM   #1
Rootberry

Default (Video) Root gets Owned

Jonathan Root of Team Rootberry gets owned by the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbe9AQvxSL0
Rootberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 06:15 PM   #2
Chad

Nice reaction. You played it well.

I've always heard that you can tell which stage guys have street performed...that little clip is testimony.
Old 02-19-09, 02:46 PM   #3
Rootberry

So can you tell we're not street performers? Never really were....
Old 02-20-09, 02:36 AM   #4
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

heh
Old 02-20-09, 07:49 AM   #5
Chad

No man. Looked like you had good crowd interaction. That's what I think people mean when they say it.

It's been my experience that street performing has helped me become a much better stage performer.

Butterfly man once called it breaking the 4th wall (or something like that).

The audience in street performing should dictate parts of the show (speed of show, wait time after jokes, improvisational moments for comedy, applause, etc...)

If you allow an audience to help create the ebb and flow of the show on the street then you get a more intimate show...one custom tailored to the individuals comprising your audience.

But, when you're on a stage, that opportunity is WAY more difficult because you are separated by a height difference, a lighting difference, a distance, they are seated and in a "watching TV" mindset while you are standing, and sometimes there's even a fricken orchestra pit in between you and the audience.

A street performer has an edge on audience interaction because it is (or at least should be) an integral part of each show he/she does. So, watch a street performer on the stage might look different because that person is interacting with the audience more.

That's why I made my original post. It looked like you two were good at interacting with the audience.

I'm certain that skill can come from other means (besides street shows). Most jugglers rely on audience participation...otherwise juggling is not nearly as funny. (BTW I was doing juggling stage shows for years before I ever made a dime as a magician)

Hope I didn't offend.

Chad

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ictures613.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the shows I do.
Old 02-26-09, 11:20 AM   #6
Rootberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
No man. Looked like you had good crowd interaction. That's what I think people mean when they say it.

It's been my experience that street performing has helped me become a much better stage performer.

Butterfly man once called it breaking the 4th wall (or something like that).

The audience in street performing should dictate parts of the show (speed of show, wait time after jokes, improvisational moments for comedy, applause, etc...)

If you allow an audience to help create the ebb and flow of the show on the street then you get a more intimate show...one custom tailored to the individuals comprising your audience.

But, when you're on a stage, that opportunity is WAY more difficult because you are separated by a height difference, a lighting difference, a distance, they are seated and in a "watching TV" mindset while you are standing, and sometimes there's even a fricken orchestra pit in between you and the audience.

A street performer has an edge on audience interaction because it is (or at least should be) an integral part of each show he/she does. So, watch a street performer on the stage might look different because that person is interacting with the audience more.

That's why I made my original post. It looked like you two were good at interacting with the audience.

I'm certain that skill can come from other means (besides street shows). Most jugglers rely on audience participation...otherwise juggling is not nearly as funny. (BTW I was doing juggling stage shows for years before I ever made a dime as a magician)

Hope I didn't offend.

Chad

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ictures613.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the shows I do.
You definitely did not offend, I was just giving you a little grief, all in good fun of course. We did very little street performing but have kind of been through that whole thing again when we started working colleges. Sometimes we are in a beautiful theater other times we are in on a lawn in the scorching heat trying to get a few interested souls to watch a stunt or two. Be well and keep at it.